Sponsored

Durango visit 21-24SEP

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
We will be visiting Durango the week mentioned in the subject line and are looking for places to take our 2019 JLUR. Jeep is stock, with the exception of rock rails, but we have extensive rock crawling experience from our built JK days and have had this vehicle on level 5-6 trails without any issues or problems. However, that level trails is not our goal as we have to drive it home. Goals are to do the BOH trails of Engineer Pass and Black Bear Pass and would like to have some locals show us the way. Realize that both of these trail heads are a ways from Durango but we don't know if or when we will be back so we would like to get it done while in the area. Know the million dollar highway is closed during the week but that appears to be between Silverton and Ouray. If anyone has some gpx files of must see places near Durango we would be very appreciative. BTW, have read the posts about all the side by side traffic, etc. Just have to deal with it the best we can and hope it doesn't ruin the experience. TIA
Sponsored

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
The wifey, pup and I will be up there around the same time frame with slightly different trails in mind (staying in Telluride). We're hitting up Ophir, Imogene, and possibly Engineer depending on how the dog handles everything. The rub with Engineer is that it isn't immediately accessible from a road. You need to pick your poison on how to reach the trailhead. Black Bear is one that I simply will not do without at least a buddy with decent spotting experience. Too sketchy to run solo regardless of the time of year IMO. Based on what I've been reading/seeing posted up lately in the local groups, it sounds like the timing should be perfect for catching the fall colors and the weather should be near perfect. Jeep Jamboree just passed through this past week so it may or may not still have some fairly heavy traffic from other groups passing through.

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
Just got back from riding a loop around the western slope of Colorado on the motorcycle.
Million Dollar Highway is closed various hours between Silverton and Ouray.
The day I was there I think it closed at 0830 and I waited for construction from 10 am to noon about 17 miles north of SIlverton going northbound.
The road then opened for one hour and closed again until about 5:30 pm. I don't think they work at night as I did not see any light stations along the way.
Luckily I rode my bike up to the flagger and she allowed me to start at the front of the pack because motorcycles are much faster through the twisties...

Highway 50 east of Montrose has restrictive hours as well...I rode about 20 miles east on 50 and was not allowed to pass to get to Sapinero and had to back track all the way to Delta and then go east to catch Hwy 92.

Aspens were gorgeous in many places and leaves had fallen in others.

Hope this helps...Have a great trip.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
We will be visiting Durango the week mentioned in the subject line and are looking for places to take our 2019 JLUR. Jeep is stock, with the exception of rock rails, but we have extensive rock crawling experience from our built JK days and have had this vehicle on level 5-6 trails without any issues or problems. However, that level trails is not our goal as we have to drive it home. Goals are to do the BOH trails of Engineer Pass and Black Bear Pass and would like to have some locals show us the way. Realize that both of these trail heads are a ways from Durango but we don't know if or when we will be back so we would like to get it done while in the area. Know the million dollar highway is closed during the week but that appears to be between Silverton and Ouray. If anyone has some gpx files of must see places near Durango we would be very appreciative. BTW, have read the posts about all the side by side traffic, etc. Just have to deal with it the best we can and hope it doesn't ruin the experience. TIA
Check my thread here, just got back and our home base was Durango, we got 4 of the 5 badges, will hit Black Bear the same time next year. A few locals said what we went through was tougher than Black Bear FWIW.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...0-would-be-nice-to-meet-w-a-few-others.75076/
There is one section along Mineral Creek, just east of the Poughkeepsie trailhead turnoff (along the Engineer Pass trail) that was a bit sketchy, got through it w/ a spotter but flying solo wouldn't be ideal there. You can run Engineer from county road 2 up to Engineer connector, then up to Engineer Summit and turn back like we did, then run Poughkeepsie gulch, but you will have to deal w/ that sketchy spot. Poughkeepsie is an awesome trail, and Imogene too.

Durango is about an hour from the lower trails like Ophir and Black Bear, and about an hour and a half from the Engineer trailhead that starts in Ouray. Be sure to hit Steamworks in Durango if you want a fun brew pub w/ quite a few home grown brews and good eats. A hike or bike ride along the Animas river in Durango is pretty cool too!

You will have an awesome time regardless.

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
I did a little update in the Gecko thread but figured I would share a synopsis of our experience this past week. Managed to knock out Ophir, Imogene, Engineer and Poughkeepsie from the BOH list as well as Mineral Creek, California Pass, and some of the Animas Forks. Didn't get back to the hotel on the last day until nearly 10:30pm (stock LED lights at night on the trail work beautifully btw). Didn't struggle or have any issues on any of the mentioned trails and we ran solo on everything but Imogene (a group of lifted Rubi's adopted us into their group because they wanted to see the 4xe in action so that was a fun experience). Timing was absolutely perfect to catch the tree color change. Would highly recommend planning for this time of year in the future if anyone is considering it.

OP
OP

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Thanks for the replies, never got the notices that anyone replied. Did four badge of honor trails while there, Imogene, Ophir, Black Bear and Engineer Passes. Only trail that got us puckering was Black Bear, where there are two off cambers that have you staring down at the stream that runs below. Poughkeepsie is on the list for the next trip. We were based in Durango for all these runs. Due to the construction on the 550 we did our Imogene run on a Sunday after perusing Ouray. The biggest challenge on most of the trails was watching for traffic coming the other way. The switchbacks at Black Bear into Telluride are no big deal, just take your time and pay attention to the road. Black Bear was the only place where we scraped our skids and both times were but a kiss. We did the trail in a stock 2019 JLUR. Can't wait for our return.
Sponsored