Sponsored

San Juan Badge of Honor trip planned Sept 7-10, would be nice to meet w/ a few others.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Posted same thread in the Four Corners section, thought this might be a good place too (mods feel free to delete if posting twice isn't cool)

Going to Durango as our home base on Labor Day and hoping to hit Ophir then Imogene on Tues, then Engineer/Poughkeepsie area Wednesday, and work to Black Bear Pass probably Friday (assuming the wife is still on board :) ) Have a couple other folks interested to drive up with us but not sure if they will end up joining us.

Seems like going Tuesday Sept 7th through Sat the 11th should be a good time as far as the runoff being minimal, avoiding the labor day crowd, and prior to the Jeep Jamboree onslaught starting Sept 16th. I doubt we'll be running trails every day as the wife wants to do some Durango stuff and not have the whole trip just Jeepin lol.

Would be great to meet up with a few members on the site to run whatever trails they have time for. Never been to this area to off road so would be very cool to have someone w/ local knowledge or just other Jeeps to have fun and tackle the trails as a group rather than having to fly solo.

I have a 2dr Sport S w/ Rubicon suspension, high fenders, winch, and should have my 35s mounted up by then and hopefully my skids installed. I have open diffs so Poughkeepsie Gulch might have to reevaluate, lol.

At any rate, if anyone might be in the area during that time and would like to put something together, just post up as there's still quite a bit of time to sort things out.

TIA!
Sponsored

Last edited:

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Posted same thread in the Four Corners section, thought this might be a good place too (mods feel free to delete if posting twice isn't cool)

Going to Durango as our home base on Labor Day and hoping to hit Ophir then Imogene on Tues, then Engineer/Alpine Loop area Wednesday, and work to Black Bear Pass later in the week (assuming the wife is still on board :) ) Have a couple other folks interested to drive up with us but not sure if they will end up joining us.

Seems like going Tuesday Sept 7th through Sat the 11th should be a good time as far as the runoff being minimal. and prior to the Jeep Jamboree onslaught starting Sept 16th. I doubt we'll be running trails every day as the wife wants to do some Durango stuff and not have the whole trip just Jeepin lol.

Would be great to meet up with a few members on the site to run whatever trails they have time for. Never been to this area to off road so would be very cool to have someone w/ local knowledge or just other Jeeps to have fun and tackle the trails as a group rather than having to fly solo.

I have a 2dr Sport S w/ Rubicon suspension, high fenders, winch, and should have my 35s mounted up by then and hopefully my skids installed. I have open diffs so I doubt Poughkeepsie Gulch will be on the menu.

At any rate, if anyone might be in the area during that time and would like to put something together, just post up as there's still quite a bit of time to sort things out.

TIA!
Would love to but unfortunately my wife and I are headed out July 11th. We will be doing Marshall Pass, Last Dollar Road into Telluride, playing around in Durango with some hiking and the in Silverton for 3 days to do Alpine Loop, California and picayune (sp) gultch and I think Crystal Lake. Tent camping and living out of the 2dr the whole way. I am getting so excited for my first ever jeep trip! I hope you and your wife have a great time.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Would love to but unfortunately my wife and I are headed out July 11th. We will be doing Marshall Pass, Last Dollar Road into Telluride, playing around in Durango with some hiking and the in Silverton for 3 days to do Alpine Loop, California and picayune (sp) gultch and I think Crystal Lake. Tent camping and living out of the 2dr the whole way. I am getting so excited for my first ever jeep trip! I hope you and your wife have a great time.
Sounds like a fun trip, have a good one and happy trails!

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Sounds like we’ll be going through right as you’re leaving. I had no idea the Jamboree started on the 16th when we plan to run Poughkeepsie gulch but it looks like that is tgeir check-in day so hopefully it’ll be a close miss. Wanting to do Black Bear pass the next day but they aren’t slated to run that at all. Probably something about people dying during an event… ;)

Be safe and if you end up staying longer be on the lookout for us!

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds like we’ll be going through right as you’re leaving. I had no idea the Jamboree started on the 16th when we plan to run Poughkeepsie gulch but it looks like that is tgeir check-in day so hopefully it’ll be a close miss. Wanting to do Black Bear pass the next day but they aren’t slated to run that at all. Probably something about people dying during an event… ;)

Be safe and if you end up staying longer be on the lookout for us!
Just rechecked our hotel booking, we're checking out on Sat, so a bit shorter trip. Would be cool to meet up, if you happen to get there early let me know :)
And in my original post I mentioned avoiding Poughkeepsie but after looking through some of the trail clips it looks manageable, and I could always winch the wall if need be or run the bypass :)

Have a great time, I bet it will be epic!

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds fun and would love to but we’re heading up there for the Jeep jamboree a few days later! Have fun!

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds fun and would love to but we’re heading up there for the Jeep jamboree a few days later! Have fun!
That should be a great week up there, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I did almost this same trip last October, it was awesome. I may be down to head back for this. Where will you post the final plans?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Just rechecked our hotel booking, we're checking out on Sat, so a bit shorter trip. Would be cool to meet up, if you happen to get there early let me know :)
And in my original post I mentioned avoiding Poughkeepsie but after looking through some of the trail clips it looks manageable, and I could always winch the wall if need be or run the bypass :)

Have a great time, I bet it will be epic!
Poughkeepsie is a lot of fun, I would not miss it if you have never been there. A stock Rubicon can do the wall, and there is a bypass.

20201006_114122.jpg

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Bummer! We're about a month off. We are staying up in Ouray next month to knock out a lot of trails mentioned above. If interested, I can follow up with you post trip and let you know how we worked the trails with the time we have there. If anything comes up I will let you know. I have Gaia plotted with Ophir, Black Bear, Imogene, Engineer, and Poughkeepsie Gulch. I have read that so far Poughkeepsie may be questionable based on a potential closure. We wanted to stop through the Four Corners on the way up, but the Navajo Nation still has it closed when I checked it earlier this week. Regardless, you will have a blast! Definitely bucket list views.

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I did almost this same trip last October, it was awesome. I may be down to head back for this. Where will you post the final plans?
Very cool J! would be great if you could make it back, I'll keep this thread updated and I can send you a PM when we get closer. I think the trail order and days I posted above should be pretty close to the final plan. If the weather looks bad on one particular day then that could change things for sure :)
Did you run all the 5 BOH trails last time you went there?
Poughkeepsie is a lot of fun, I would not miss it if you have never been there. A stock Rubicon can do the wall, and there is a bypass.
I think I'd like to go up to Engineer Pass Summit, then turn back and hit Poughkeepsie, seems like that would be a nice run vs. running the whole Alpine Loop (including the drive from Durango and back). Looks like there's a few ways to tackle the wall, not sure if my open diffs would be up to it though :( Could take the bypass as it looks like the rest of Poughkeepsie still has some nice obstacles to keep us on our toes :)

FWIW would a stock Rubicon w/ only the factory skids do OK on Poughkeepsie? Looks like there's a few spots where it could get rough. Have a couple JLURs that may make the drive up with us and they don't have any aftermarket skids.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bummer! We're about a month off. We are staying up in Ouray next month to knock out a lot of trails mentioned above. If interested, I can follow up with you post trip and let you know how we worked the trails with the time we have there. If anything comes up I will let you know. I have Gaia plotted with Ophir, Black Bear, Imogene, Engineer, and Poughkeepsie Gulch. I have read that so far Poughkeepsie may be questionable based on a potential closure. We wanted to stop through the Four Corners on the way up, but the Navajo Nation still has it closed when I checked it earlier this week. Regardless, you will have a blast! Definitely bucket list views.
Sounds like a great trip you have planned out, and yes, for sure post up a report on your trip when you get back, would be a great resource since it's going to be so close to when our trip is planned.

Have a kick ass time!

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW would a stock Rubicon w/ only the factory skids do OK on Poughkeepsie? Looks like there's a few spots where it could get rough. Have a couple JLURs that may make the drive up with us and they don't have any aftermarket skids.
Almost a year ago we tent camped at the Poughkeepsie trailhead. I think we got almost to it with our completely stock JLU with nothing added but bumper & winch. I was following other stock jeeps not with us and going faster than I normally would have. I cut a sidewall I think where I circled on the map, because it’s where the river merges with the trail. I pulled off, put on the spare, and turned back. So I definitely think the trail is doable stock, the wall I’ve seen it done. This time for me is personal….

Jeep Wrangler JL San Juan Badge of Honor trip planned Sept 7-10, would be nice to meet w/ a few others. 1625413040948

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Almost a year ago we tent camped at the Poughkeepsie trailhead. I think we got almost to it with our completely stock JLU with nothing added but bumper & winch. I was following other stock jeeps not with us and going faster than I normally would have. I cut a sidewall I think where I circled on the map, because it’s where the river merges with the trail. I pulled off, put on the spare, and turned back. So I definitely think it is doable stock, and for me this run is personal….
Good to know, did you get to hit the wall or when you say you turned back was that prior to it?

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know, did you get to hit the wall or when you say you turned back was that prior to it?
BTW - I edited my post like 3 times lol so it may be different now. It was before the wall but I don’t think we were very far from it.
Sponsored