Drove a Rubicon for the first time....initial thoughts

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Today my wife and I took out a Rubicon for the first time. I ride in my coworkers ‘15 Sahara Unlimited a few times a week, so I’m familiar with the ride and comfort of the JK’s.

First thought as we climbed in the Rubicon was “what is it with the inside of the hardtop looking like you’re inside a styrofoam cooler?” The inside of the hardtop is hideous compared to the JK’s. Nothing a can of black plastidip wouldn’t fix. Not sure what FCA was thinking on this one. The red dash was not as ugly as it looked in pictures. It had a nice anodized metallic look to it.

JL was smooth and quiet. Nice performance with the new 8 speed. I’m 6’3” and no problems with my head hitting the roof bar. Visibility of the gauges for me was good too. Only problem was that the center console lid was to far back for elbow support when my wife was driving and her hands were on the wheel. Would be nice if it slid forward. Tilt and telescope wheel had a nice range of adjustments.

Ride was firm but not jarring over bumps. Almost a European feel to it.

Steering was a bit vague with the electric power steering. Definitely a lot of wandering down the straight road and a bunch of wheel correction to keep it going straight. I know others have mentioned this too. Maybe a wheel alignment was in order.

Overall better than I expected. We have another test drive scheduled when the weather is nice (cold and pouring rain today) and we can drop the soft top on another Rubicon.

Next decision will be to decide between the Granite Gray and Firecracker red.

Thanks for all the great info on this great forum. We learned a lot before we went for the test drive.
Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Today my wife and I took out a Rubicon for the first time. I ride in my coworkers ‘15 Sahara Unlimited a few times a week, so I’m familiar with the ride and comfort of the JK’s.

First thought as we climbed in the Rubicon was “what is it with the inside of the hardtop looking like you’re inside a styrofoam cooler?” The inside of the hardtop is hideous compared to the JK’s. Nothing a can of black plastidip wouldn’t fix. Not sure what FCA was thinking on this one. The red dash was not as ugly as it looked in pictures. It had a nice anodized metallic look to it.

JL was smooth and quiet. Nice performance with the new 8 speed. I’m 6’3” and no problems with my head hitting the roof bar. Visibility of the gauges for me was good too. Only problem was that the center console lid was to far back for elbow support when my wife was driving and her hands were on the wheel. Would be nice if it slid forward. Tilt and telescope wheel had a nice range of adjustments.

Ride was firm but not jarring over bumps. Almost a European feel to it.

Steering was a bit vague with the electric power steering. Definitely a lot of wandering down the straight road and a bunch of wheel correction to keep it going straight. I know others have mentioned this too. Maybe a wheel alignment was in order.

Overall better than I expected. We have another test drive scheduled when the weather is nice (cold and pouring rain today) and we can drop the soft top on another Rubicon.

Next decision will be to decide between the Granite Gray and Firecracker red.

Thanks for all the great info on this great forum. We learned a lot before we went for the test drive.
Don’t order the hardtop liner and it will look exactly like your buddies Sahara.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Only guessing but I think Jeep is staying with the white hardtop interior to give the illusion of more space. I have seen it changed to black and does appear to be smaller. Even then I like it to be dark grey or black...so...premium soft top! lol

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Only guessing but I think Jeep is staying with the white hardtop interior to give the illusion of more space. I have seen it changed to black and does appear to be smaller. Even then I like it to be dark grey or black...so...premium soft top! lol
Exactly, the same reason you paint the ceilings in your house white. Brighten it up and make it seem a little larger as opposed to dark little cave.

Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I purchased the hard top insulated liner option, which is black and tones down the ‘styrofoam cooler’ effect considerably, to the point I don’t notice it at all. Also, the power steering is an electric motor driving a hydraulic pump, so it’s not the ‘electric power steering’ found in many newer cars, in fact it functions much more like a traditional hydraulic system. The vagueness in the steering is a deliberate design compromise, to prevent kickback while driving off-road. FCA knows how to design a world class steering system, they also build Ferrari and Alpha Romeo.

Raziel66

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude
From what I remember when I checked out a JL there's a weird pattern on the plastic parts that almost a bit like camo. I think that's what he's talking about with the inside of the hardtop. It looks very different compared to the one on my jku.

OP
OP
Steevr

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Here’s the picture of the hardtop interior on my friend’s JK. Totally different from the JL. The JK has a white textured surface to it. Way nicer than the JL camo pattern that makes it look styrofoam.

74DF5917-5D59-4ED3-91A1-DC08D50E1875.jpeg

Bkenyon53

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS; 2016 JKU; 1971 VW Beetle
Here’s the picture of the hardtop interior on my friend’s JK. Totally different from the JL. The JK has a white textured surface to it. Way nicer than the JL camo pattern that makes it look styrofoam.

74DF5917-5D59-4ED3-91A1-DC08D50E1875.jpeg
I noticed the odd pattern as well. The “styrofoam cooler” is the perfect way to describe it. I’m waiting for Mojito but I may paint the inside of mine to match the exterior.

matto

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKR 2008, Jeep JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I know its supposed to be a different material cause its like 30% less weight. maybe they did throw some Styrofoam haha... I love the new soft top!

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I prefer the new design of the hardtop interior. The old one seemed dated. Will probably get hothead headliners.

Also should have gotten the dual top, but then again I would have my Jeep if I did as I’m sure it would’ve been delayed.
Sponsored