Sponsored

Does steel bumper group decrease payload capacity?

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Having trouble finding this answer.

I think I read somewhere that adding the Mopar steel bumper group results in a heavier spring rate - but can’t find it now. And if that is true, do the stiffer springs completely negate the added weight of the steel bumpers such that the payload capacity remains unchanged?
Sponsored

TheConquerorWorm

First Name
Rusty S.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, ordered ('21 JLUR)
Occupation
Trouble Maker
i have no answer for your question but interested In seeing an answer.

I did see a YouTube channel that took the end caps off and said they weighed 17lbs. I thought that was interesting.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Officially? I’ve not read that but given that it’s based on braking, turning, component strength... lighter will always be better for things like that in regards to payload. So if you had the tallest springs available from Jeep and didn’t have steel bumpers, you could carry just a bit more really.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Technically, yes it does. The vehicle has a GVWR that you shouldn’t exceed. That includes cargo, passengers, and any extra equipment bolted to the vehicle.
The GVWR of a Jeep with steel bumpers from the factory doesn’t differ from one without, so those bumpers go toward your total capacity.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Having trouble finding this answer.

I think I read somewhere that adding the Mopar steel bumper group results in a heavier spring rate - but can’t find it now. And if that is true, do the stiffer springs completely negate the added weight of the steel bumpers such that the payload capacity remains unchanged?
The highest spring rates will typically accompany Jeeps built with the steel bumpers, hardtop, and tow package. I had 61/62 up front and 91/92 out back from the factory with those options. No 2 Jeeps are perfectly identical, so overall height could slightly vary, but the different configurations of factory options and spring rates are meant to maintain the same approach/breakover/departure angles.

Some members with Sports/Saharas have reported only negligible height gains from a set of Rubicon takeoffs with lower spring rates, because the donor vehicle had plastic bumpers and a softop.

The different spring rates also put a stipped down and a loaded pair of Wranglers on a level playing field, as far as payload capacity.
Sponsored