JL Rubicon Steel Bumper Group

JDulks

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Yukon Denali, 2013 BMW 335i e93
What about added safety of steel bumper and better protection underneath. I have my first kid on the way so I'm gearing everything towards safety and will spare no expense!

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
If you plan on running a winch, and do not want to put on an aftermarket bumper then go with the steel option, for the ease of getting a winch carrier and removing the sides if you want. Here is mine, really like it! Still might go aftermarket someday but will work for now.

BC18D805-7214-4858-8BE9-B205A57C6D85.JPG

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
What about added safety of steel bumper and better protection underneath. I have my first kid on the way so I'm gearing everything towards safety and will spare no expense!
You'll get responses all over the map on this question. I don't see any significant safety differences between the steel vs plastic bumpers. Personally I liked the look of the steel better and wanted to add a winch. So I replaced the plastic bumper my rubi had with a take-off Mopar steel bumper. Both bumpers protect the electronic swaybar disconnect so no real difference there. For a stronger front bumper there are many aftermarket options.

I DID upgrade the rear bumper to a Motor City Aftermarket M1 since I hated the plastic rear (the rear steel wasn't much better). This is a very strong bumper with conservative look.

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Steal bumpers will not make it any safer, more so with aftermarket bumpers as no manufacturers other than maybe Arb and AEV spend the money to crash test them.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
The Steel bumper looks better.

jeepscout

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Vehicle Showcase
You'll get responses all over the map on this question. I don't see any significant safety differences between the steel vs plastic bumpers. Personally I liked the look of the steel better and wanted to add a winch. So I replaced the plastic bumper my rubi had with a take-off Mopar steel bumper. Both bumpers protect the electronic swaybar disconnect so no real difference there. For a stronger front bumper there are many aftermarket options.

I DID upgrade the rear bumper to a Motor City Aftermarket M1 since I hated the plastic rear (the rear steel wasn't much better). This is a very strong bumper with conservative look.

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG
What winch mount plate did you get?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if there's a post with before (with plastic) and after (with steel) Rubicon bumpers. First pick is how it came off the lot. Second pic is after I put on the steel bumper (before winch install).

The bumpers are similar but definitely not the same. Thought this might help compare.

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_1102 1.JPG

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
I would not purchase this if you plan any mods like larger tires etc. I wouldnt purchase upgraded tail gate either. I made the mistake of doing so. Youre much better off saving money and putting to towards your own aftermarket bumper.
Sponsored