Sponsored

Will the JL feature a greater Payload Capacity?

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
The current JK Unlimited has a payload capacity of approximately 1100 lbs. For 4x4-ing purposes this may not be of such a concern, but for long overland trips this limited capacity proves to be quite insufficient.

As the future JL is to rumored to share its base platform (chasis, etc) with the upcoming JL Pickup, will we see a more rigid Jeep capable of carrying higher loads and one which has benefited from improved technologies (hydroformed steel, stronger axles, etc)?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
I'm hoping we'll see an upgrade in the payload and also in the towing capacity.
Me too! Towing capacity should increase just by virtue of the higher torque figures they'll have compared to the JK. Beyond that though a whole host of things will decide towing capacity -- transmission, rear axle, vehicle frame.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How much are you hoping for?

I'm really hoping for 5,000 lbs tow capacity for the JLU. But this might be a more realistic figure for the JT pickup.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
The current JK has a payload capacity of approximately 1100 lbs. For 4x4-ing purposes this may not be such a concern, but for long overland trips this limited capacity proves to be quite insufficient.

As the future JL is to rumored to share its base platform (chasis, etc) with the upcoming JL Pickup, will we see a more rigid Jeep capable of carrying higher loads and one which has benefited from improved technologies (hydroformed steel, stronger axles, etc)?
Someone here just posted the JT pickup's frame and axle.

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jt-scrambler-vs-jk-wrangler-frame-and-axles.1312/

Question is how much more rigid is it since we already know they will be sharing frames with the JL. At the least would think the upgraded axles alone will make significant difference.

Amen, I think just about everyone here is. The JK's is lacking.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
This isn't just something I want for the JL, but the JT, too. As I've said in other threads, it ain't enough to just slap a bed on the back of a Wrangler and call it a truck. It needs to have true truck capability and that means the ability to tow and haul things. The Wrangler has NEVER been that vehicle, so I'm hoping the combination and advancement in design, technology, and modern engines (especially the diesel) will make that happen for both the truck and the standard JL.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
No one knows yet, but it's very likely to increase payload capacity, however the JL and JT will NOT share the same rear suspension, which would grealty impact payload.

You can see even more clearly in the recent JT spy photos that the rear suspension is similar to that of the RAM, meanwhile the JL suspension remains similar to the JK but both will get this new mystery 12-bolt axle and other suspension uodates/uogrades that should improve both payload and towing.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't set too high expectation based on assuming JL and JT will have the same rear-end.

View of the recent JT spy photos and then a RAM rear 5-link suspension to illustrate.

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

Sorry Highlight circles are from a previous thread.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm really hoping for 5,000 lbs tow capacity for the JLU. But this might be a more realistic figure for the JT pickup.
Actually, it's quite realistic for the JLU, the JKU currently does that with the export version (max tow rated for 2,300KG / 5,060Lbs) , so I expect the JLU to get the appropriate Big Brakes of the export JKUs as well as the JLU specific updates like the new Axle.

Guaranteed the JLU will improve towing payload, just not as much as the JT.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
How much are you hoping for?

5,000 lbs would be ideal, but even an upgrade to 4,000 lbs would be better than nothing. I had read on another forum that somebody heard from somebody who heard from a Jeep engineer that the limiting factor was (transmission) cooling.

OP
OP

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
I'd like to see payload capacity increased to at least 1500 lbs, though 2000 lbs or more would be ideal.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5,000 lbs would be ideal, but even an upgrade to 4,000 lbs would be better than nothing. I had read on another forum that somebody heard from somebody who heard from a Jeep engineer that the limiting factor was (transmission) cooling.
I think we saw the same post. It's obviously not transmission cooling, as the Export Wranglers have a higher tow rating (up to 2,300KGs / 5,000lbs) with the same transmission and same transmission cooler in front of the Radiator, and that's for much hotter climates like Australia and South Africa.

What the exports do have that the North American Wranglers don't have is bigger brakes, plus the diesel which gives it a 250KG/500lbs boost, possibly due to engine cooling, but the transmission is the same, so it can't be that.

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
5,000 lbs would be ideal, but even an upgrade to 4,000 lbs would be better than nothing.
Even 4,000 lbs towing capacity would beat the standard base towing capacities of Tacoma and Colorado :like:

What I'd really like is if they gave us a standard 4,000 lbs tow capacity and then an optional tow package. Tacoma's tow package bumps up its tow capacity to 6,800 pounds. :surprised:
Sponsored