Sponsored

Do you have a basic radio in your JL?

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
Hi, do you have a basic radio in your JL? Besides backup cam, is there anything else that's necessary in the unit or can it be removed without losing functionality?
Sponsored

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
i have the 7in but most aftermarket radios have the capability of the features built in to the radio. climate control being the most prominent in the auto industry

would also be satellite radio, usb and aux connections that I can think of in the 5in radio

but to answer your question. removing the head unit, you'll lose the backup camera and, well, you're music

OP
OP

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
Unplug it and see if the Jeep still turns on, that'll tell you real quick :) I don't think there is any legal requirement to have the camera, just that manufacturers install it from the factory. Could get boned in an insurance claim where you back into something though.
Anytime you're in reverse, you're at fault for anything/everything. That's why emergency vehicles hit the spinners anytime they reverse, if the spinners are lit then it's other driver's fault.

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
You would lose access to the Wrangler's configurable settings. I can't think of any right now, but there are features aside from audio that are set on the radio interface.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
talk to a guy at a stereo shop and they will tell you what you need to do. there is an aftermarket box i forget its name that plugs into an aftermarket radio to receive input from the computers on your jeep to display stuff like trail pages climate controls aux switches etc. and yes as of 2018 backup cameras are required by law same as air bags do not remove it you will have a bitch of a time reselling it.

Sponsored

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
talk to a guy at a stereo shop and they will tell you what you need to do. there is an aftermarket box i forget its name that plugs into an aftermarket radio to receive input from the computers on your jeep to display stuff like trail pages climate controls aux switches etc. and yes as of 2018 backup cameras are required by law same as air bags do not remove it you will have a bitch of a time reselling it.
It has to be expensive.

I had a 2007 Mercedes SUV that had a nice built in radio with about a 7 inch screen for Navigation.

Around 2015 I looked into replacing it with an aftermarket radio with Car Play/android audio included. The install would have been about as expensive as the radio and I would lose the DVD movie screens in the headrests. I passed.

Then my 2019 Cherokee I had Uconnect without premium sound. I wanted to upgrade the speakers and add a sub. It would have cost me about $2000+ to do it right with an Amp to provide the power to run the upgraded speakers. I passed.

Current Jeep Wrangler I got smart and got the 8.4 with premium sound so I did not have to worry about upgrades.

The sound is great but not at the level of my aftermarket 1980 Pioneer Radio / Amp / Equalizer and high end speakers that I bought and installed at a fraction of the cost of upgrading today's car stereos.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I never understood cheeping out on a vehicle's radio. You will spend potentially thousands of hours in a vehicle over the life of the vehicle so the cost of the upgraded radio turns out to be penny per hour of use. Then turn around and buy a $5 dollar cup of coffee.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Dealers buy sports like this and people buy them off the lot already configured. So generally it's not people cheaping out as much as the manufacturer. IMO if you're going to put that low of a unit in the Jeep at least make it easy enough to be swapped out.

I never understood cheeping out on a vehicle's radio. You will spend potentially thousands of hours in a vehicle over the life of the vehicle so the cost of the upgraded radio turns out to be penny per hour of use. Then turn around and buy a $5 dollar cup of coffee.
Sponsored