Sponsored

Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire?

lichao8910

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I am going to buy a dash cam and put it on my windshield or tie it to my back mirror.
I am curious how you do the wring for dash cams?
Or do you just buy a dash cam that can be tied to the dash top and let the wire dangle?

I don't want to uninstall a lot of stuff to connect the power wire of the cam. I'd just like to use the 12v outlet on the driver's side..
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I am going to buy a dash cam and put it on my windshield or tie it to my back mirror.
I am curious how you do the wring for dash cams?
Or do you just buy a dash cam that can be tied to the dash top and let the wire dangle?

I don't want to uninstall a lot of stuff to connect the power wire of the cam. I'd just like to use the 12v outlet on the driver's side..
Rather than reinvent the wheel Chao https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...guide-4-door-jlu-u-s-order-bank-is-open.1467/

A couple of thoughts. Some of the better dash cams have 3 wires so the camera can determine when the engine is on versus when you are parked and it is off. One wire is a ground, one is designed to be connected directly the battery, and always on, and one connected to an accessory wire, only energized when the rig is on.

Often, these dash cams monitor battery consumption when in parking mode (accessory wire deenergized).

I have a write up at the link using two of the rigs cigarette lighter's, the one you mentioned, and the one in the cargo area (of some models?) which by default is always energized.

You can also find there more sophisticated installs too.

The forum also has some good reviews on cameras. The Blackvue and Blacksys products (I have the latter CH-200 model, a dual setup, front and rear) are pretty well liked.

Good luck.

JeepBeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubi
I installed a dashcam this week and ran the wires along the headliner, removed the passenger grab bar and continued to run the wires down the pillar. I connected the power to aux 4 and grounded it behind the kick panel.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Good for you JeepBeep, but its my understanding that the wire bundle that feeds the aux switches allows them to be configured as battery or accessory wires: the former always on, the latter only on when the rig is on.

What was yours? And (I don't know) can Aux switches maintain state between engine cycles....a fancy way to say, "if the switch was in the on (off) state the last time you took your JL for a spin, will in remain on (of off respectfull) next time you drive in absence of any button push...

..or is that configurable as well.

(For example: I know you can flash the ESS light to always be energized (no ESS) by default.)

You may be operating a camera JeepBeep that (he says with admitted ignorance) a lack of a parking mode state.

Bravo on putting an aux switch to good use!

Sloxkhart98

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangjer JL Rubicon
I installed the Blackvue currently in the cig lighter. But it will be connected to either the fuse or one of the aux switches.

Sponsored

Magnetdragon

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu!!
I have the Viofo A119S and I have it on the windshield right in line with the mitror to make it look clean. I also just pulled the trim off and ran the wiring down to the aux cables and put it to the cable that is a constant hot. You can buy an accessory for like $10 to have it shut off if the battery gets close to dieing so you don't wind up with a dead jeep. The GPS puck on it has a micro USB plug that attaches at the top and allows me to still fold down the windshield. IMG_20180217_120705.jpg

OP
OP
lichao8910

lichao8910

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Viofo A119S and I have it on the windshield right in line with the mitror to make it look clean. I also just pulled the trim off and ran the wiring down to the aux cables and put it to the cable that is a constant hot. You can buy an accessory for like $10 to have it shut off if the battery gets close to dieing so you don't wind up with a dead jeep. The GPS puck on it has a micro USB plug that attaches at the top and allows me to still fold down the windshield. IMG_20180217_120705.jpg
Thank You!

Could you please show me more pictures of the wiring ? Maybe inside the car? I am curious about how to pull the trim off and connect it to aux... And what is the name of the $10 accessory?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Thank You!

Could you please show me more pictures of the wiring ? Maybe inside the car? I am curious about how to pull the trim off and connect it to aux... And what is the name of the $10 accessory?
If you have the better equipped mirror....

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Thank you! If I have the basic mirror does it still have wires inside it?
That! Chao is the $40,000 question I seek answer to myself. I may take apart this trim today and see. If so, you'll be the 2nd to know.;)

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
That! Chao is the $40,000 question I seek answer to myself. I may take apart this trim today and see. If so, you'll be the 2nd to know.;)
And here is the answer regarding the wires.

I just took apart the trim consistent with the video I attached above on my otherwise non-power JL mirror.

A series of two bundles of wires enter this cavity from the passenger's side. One bundle goes to the air bag lights in the center, the other heads over to the homelink buttons and vanity mirror in the driver's sunvisor.

In this bundle, I am forced to conclude lies at least a ground, and accessory wire, and a battery wire. An accessory wire I'll define as one only energized when the rig is on, and a battery wire I'll define as one live all the time.

Right now, I can't tell you which color wire is which, but I can deduce my findings above because FCA by default wires the homelink buttons (for security reasons) to only work when the rig is on (somebody can't get into your house via the garage by breaking into your parked car) i.e. accessory wire, while the vanity mirror is always capable of coming on (battery wire) regardless of the engine state (on or off) of the rig, doors locked, etc.)

While the low current draw of a dash cam will probably be fine for these wires to be tapped into, and then some, I can't speak to the gauge or ampacity of these wires, and suspect they are low and not meant for anything but the smallest of current draw items.

Technically, no, the mirror does not have wires going to it if you have a standard mirror. But there are certainly both types of current up there (accessory and battery) to tap into by virtue of the driver's side sunvisor's homelink and vanity mirror's needs and functionalities regarding when each are energized.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lichao8910

lichao8910

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And here is the answer regarding the wires.

I just took apart the trim consistent with the video I attached above on my otherwise non-power JL mirror.

A series of two bundles of wires enter this cavity from the passenger's side. One bundle goes to the air bag lights in the center, the other heads over to the homelink buttons and vanity mirror in the driver's sunvisor.

In this bundle, I am forced to conclude lies at least a ground, and accessory wire, and a battery wire. An accessory wire I'll define as one only energized when the rig is on, and a battery wire I'll define as one live all the time.

Right now, I can't tell you which color wire is which, but I can deduce my findings above because FCA by default wires the homelink buttons (for security reasons) to only work when the rig is on (somebody can't get into your house via the garage by breaking into your parked car) i.e. accessory wire, while the vanity mirror is always capable of coming on (battery wire) regardless of the engine state (on or off) of the rig, doors locked, etc.)

While the low current draw of a dash cam will probably be fine for these wires to be tapped into, and then some, I can't speak to the gauge or ampacity of these wires, and suspect they are low and not meant for anything but the smallest of current draw items.

Technically, no, the mirror does not have wires going to it if you have a standard mirror. But there are certainly both types of current up there (accessory and battery) to tap into by virtue of the driver's side sunvisor's homelink and vanity mirror's needs and functionalities regarding when each are energized.
Hahaha, the wrangler does lead us to adventure, research, and discoveries....

OP
OP
lichao8910

lichao8910

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I’m watching this thread as I’m going to install a BlackVue dashcam, and I want it connected to the aux wiring in the passenger footwell. I’d like more detail of the wiring. I can see, though I’ve not done it yet (coward) howcto pull off the plastic cover that’s above the sun visors, I I know where to unbolt the grab handle in the a-pillar. Not sure where the wire goes from the bottom of the pillar.
Sponsored