Sponsored

DIY Ski Cargo (HELP!)

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I've spend hours and hours (days, weeks, etc) searching, and what I want doesn't seem to exist.

I'm looking for a Thule style rooftop cargo carrier for my skis, but I'm looking for LONG and SKINNY. Suitable for up to 4 pairs of cross country skis (and poles), with the longest being 197 cm. Being that I can't find anything suitable (at least not HUGE or over $1000), we're looking for a DIY.

My husband had the idea of using PVC pipe, but we calculated it out to cost about $150/each. So this is a no.

I generally ski alone, so if I can find one small carrier for ONE (maybe two) pair of skis (and poles), I'm happy. We'll take the truck when we go as a family (maybe twice a year). All I need is a box style carrier for 1(-2) pairs of long skinny skis.

Help me out here. Anyone?
The attached image is a fabric bag, but this is about the size I would be looking at. Maybe a bit bigger.

554187_sized_1800x1200_rev_1.jpg

WAIT! LOOKIE! Seriously. Weeks I've been looking with no luck whatsoever. I post this thread and I find this thing like five minutes later. :facepalm: Does anyone have experience with this??

https://www.sportube.com/Series-1-Sportube-p/11bkswez.htm

11BKSWEZ-2T.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
All I can comment on is the sport tube. I have a friend who used one to travel with for one and a half trips. The half trip I'm referring to was one where once we got to our destination he threw it in the trash because it just wouldn't stay together.

I'm not sure I'd want it on the top of my Jeep traveling on the highway if it couldn't stay together through the airport.

I've seen the small and skinny rooftop boxes I'm sure craigslist may have some.

Edit: like this? - https://www.rei.com/product/851058/...WsP5AYME1lhLSxD2H4IaAoJVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
UPDATE: I bought the Sport Tube, and I LOVE IT. It's a lot stronger than I thought it would be (I expected it to be quite flimsy, to be honest) so I strapped it to my roof today and went skiing. I used a standard (small) cam buckle strap and just cut it to length (about 5 feet) and strapped it on the same way I would my Kayak. I also took a short piece of paracord (will trade for a shoelace or something that holds a bow better) and used it as a redundant security measure in case the pin were ever to pop out.

I have the bars located a few inches behind the freedom panels so the tube does extend maybe an inch past the window, but not enough that I want to move it forward (but I could). The angle of the picture makes it look like it extends much further back.

Quick on and off (or I could just leave it on), easy as pie to load/unload the skis, and I don't even notice it (like at all) on the road. Works GREAT!

IMG_4148.JPG