Sponsored

Ski rack for JL wrangler (non-roof)

wampeter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler • Sahara • I4 2.0L
Hey all. I saw some related posts that didnt’ seem to go anywhere from months ago so figured I would ask the audience again in hopes of some ideas...

I have a JL Wrangler and am looking for a ski rack. Problem is that I have very tight clearance to my garage door opener (a couple inches) and can’t really add any height to the vehicle. Was hoping there might be an option for the rear of the vehicle that won’t obstruct the backup camera that protrudes out from the spare tire. Ideally would like to avoid the trailer hitch setup so I can access the trunk easily. Any ideas about a spare tire mount (or other thoughts) would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Hey all. I saw some related posts that didnt’ seem to go anywhere from months ago so figured I would ask the audience again in hopes of some ideas...

I have a JL Wrangler and am looking for a ski rack. Problem is that I have very tight clearance to my garage door opener (a couple inches) and can’t really add any height to the vehicle. Was hoping there might be an option for the rear of the vehicle that won’t obstruct the backup camera that protrudes out from the spare tire. Ideally would like to avoid the trailer hitch setup so I can access the trunk easily. Any ideas about a spare tire mount (or other thoughts) would be greatly appreciated!
Random q here - how long are your skis? And how many people will be on your ski trip? I noticed you have a Sahara which means you obv have a 4-door. Could you just put the skis in the cargo area, kinda propped to the side?

Tdizz11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU

I have a Thule rack for my Jeep. It honestly takes about 8 minutes at the most to put it on and take it off. I would much rather take the rack on and off each time I needed it than use a hitch ski rack. Thule gutter mount feet attach to your rain gutters. They're rubber coated so they won't scratch your hardtop. https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/fit-my-car?c=roof+racks&q=sBwdsWJXz The base rack is about $300 and Ski Racks start around $150.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

I get the vertical clearance limits.

Do you have the hard top where @Tdizz11 's solution could be used?

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’d take a different approach ... get a new garage door opener ...

605C2967-24B3-4BC7-B9CB-25C689771C18.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
wampeter

wampeter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler • Sahara • I4 2.0L
I’d take a different approach ... get a new garage door opener ...

605C2967-24B3-4BC7-B9CB-25C689771C18.png
Hah. I’d love to do that, but I’m currently renting. If I owned the garage would definitely go that route...

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
I agree with the on/off idea. These rain gutter racks take a couple minute to clamp on. Waaaaay rather do that vs a hitch or other option.
Sponsored