Sponsored

Difference in Rubicon Rails

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've got a really dumb question (most likely).

I have a 21' JLUR and the only options I added were:
3.6L 10spd
Cold Weather Group
Upgraded stereo stuff
Hardtop

I opted not to get the $900 rock rails option with the assumption that I'll probably just buy one aftermarket.

So, the dumb question. What is the difference between that $900 option and the "Rock Protection Sill Rails" that mine has?

I'm looking at rail/steps to add on to provide some protection against gravel and give my girlfriend an easier experience getting in. I'm confused what I need to look for because some of the rails say they do/don't fit if you have the Rubicon rails installed.

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!
Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
The stock rock rails are pretty much flush to the body and don't offer much gravel protection or any lip that will allow you to use them as a step. The $900 option has a little more of a lip that you can use as a step.

As far as fitting the aftermarket ones. IF you are going to be doing a decent amount of off roading around rocks you would probably want something that mounts to the frame. They will be stronger. To do that you would have to remove the stock rails. There's some that will allow you to keep your stock rails but they don't mount to the frame.

I use the stock ones that came on the Rubicon because I'm not a big fan of steps, but a small lip would be nice. Since I don't have experience with the aftermarket ones, someone else might correct me on the fitment issues.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Walker Texas wrangler is correct. ACE makes a step that fits with the rubicon rails but there aren’t really any others. I am sure there are a few more. Most people that want more of a step remove the rubicon rails, sell them if they can, and get a slider with a step. I have LOD , but there are many options out there.

OP
OP
aeonrevolution
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The stock rock rails are pretty much flush to the body and don't offer much gravel protection or any lip that will allow you to use them as a step. The $900 option has a little more of a lip that you can use as a step.

As far as fitting the aftermarket ones. IF you are going to be doing a decent amount of off roading around rocks you would probably want something that mounts to the frame. They will be stronger. To do that you would have to remove the stock rails. There's some that will allow you to keep your stock rails but they don't mount to the frame.

I use the stock ones that came on the Rubicon because I'm not a big fan of steps, but a small lip would be nice. Since I don't have experience with the aftermarket ones, someone else might correct me on the fitment issues.
I will be doing little difficult rock climbing for the foreseeable future (unless I move to Arizona). 99% overlanding type of adventures and lots of gravel.

From what I've read it doesn't sound like the need is really there for a frame mount.

But, that seems to answer my question. I DO need to look for steps/rails that can mount with a Rubicon rail. I really just want some protection from the gravel, not an actual step.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I will be doing little difficult rock climbing for the foreseeable future (unless I move to Arizona). 99% overlanding type of adventures and lots of gravel.

From what I've read it doesn't sound like the need is really there for a frame mount.

But, that seems to answer my question. I DO need to look for steps/rails that can mount with a Rubicon rail. I really just want some protection from the gravel, not an actual step.
In these - you can see the upgraded Rubi Rails option - they stick out a little and provide protection from gravel as far as I can tell so far....

Jeep Wrangler JL Difference in Rubicon Rails IMG-3193 (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Difference in Rubicon Rails IMG-3157
Sponsored