Sponsored

Diesel Wrangler JLU Prototype Caught Testing?

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
TFL car member spied a JL in Michigan and claimed to have seen dark smoke blow out from the exhaust after a hard acceleration. Promising!

2018-jeep-wrangler-diesel-rear.jpg

"There have been a few next-generation 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) prototypes testing in public. You may have seen some images of these camouflaged off-road rigs floating around. What makes this prototype interesting? Jacob S. sent these images to us from Michigan. He reports that he noticed a “bit of dark smoke” come out of this prototype after a hard acceleration. Below is what excerpt of what Jacob said.

I spotted this prototype Jeep Wrangler. He noticed I was taking pictures and started to drive away very quickly. As he started to pull ahead of me I noticed a bit of “dark” smoke come out of the exhaust. Could this be the 3.0 Ecodiesel Wrangler? They are using LED headlights on this model."

http://www.tflcar.com/2017/05/2018-jeep-wrangler-diesel/
Sponsored

RDwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JGC, Rubicon
"Bit of dark smoke" is far from definitive but I'll take any glimmer of hope that the diesel is earmarked for the 2018 MY, even if slightly delayed.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Dark smoke also comes from gasoline engines with the dirty direct injection fuel systems. So this could be the EcoDiesel or the Hurricane 4-cylinder.

OP
OP
MockBarbecue82

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
Dark smoke also comes from gasoline engines with the dirty direct injection fuel systems. So this could be the EcoDiesel or the Hurricane 4-cylinder.
Yeah after I posted this I did some research and turns out a few things can cause a petrol engine to blow black. Oh well

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Direct Injection is also most sootey during inital few moments / miles when it's colder out like when it's raining, additionally the humidity itself can cause issues like misfires and such, inducing those occasional puffs of blue of black ie 'dark' smoke.

Of course... Could also be a gasoline engine filled with diesel by accident by Jimmy the intern who didn't realize the green coloured nozzles at BP are gas but most other locations diesel is green, or yellow, or black, etc... and if it doesn't fit, pfft it should fit... just jam it in & squeeze the nozzle. :idea:
Sponsored