Sponsored

Depreciation...?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
There will be a lot of used JKs out there as people trade ; in order to sell, they will have to be realistically priced, by Dealers at any rate. Dealers can add Perks, such as extended Warranties, free oil changes , etc, to Sweeten the Deal. I think . That being said, JKs will have great appeal to the Used Market Buyer, due to the price increase in JLs. The JKs are the new "Entry Level", relatively speaking

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
For the first time, I feel that the Wrangler has overpriced itself and will see a big depreciation. They are over charging for every little gadget instead of making packages that are affordable.

I am waiting on a diesel Sahara but that is looking like a $60k price tag. As much as I want one, it is not looking like a smart move. I will have to wait see.

buried20kleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Crush Rubi
For the first time, I feel that the Wrangler has overpriced itself and will see a big depreciation. They are over charging for every little gadget instead of making packages that are affordable.

I am waiting on a diesel Sahara but that is looking like a $60k price tag. As much as I want one, it is not looking like a smart move. I will have to wait see.
Look at all the additional features between even a loaded 17 and a JLU. You can’t put all that new tech in a vehicle without increasing the price tag. I think the price increase is realistic and justified.

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
Look at all the additional features between even a loaded 17 and a JLU. You can’t put all that new tech in a vehicle without increasing the price tag. I think the price increase is realistic and justified.
Completely agree. I have a 2018 JLU Sahara on order. When I price out a 2018 JKU Sahara with similar options, the price difference is only ~$2,200. That is a negligible price increase for a completely modernized car. The soft top improvements and better manual transmission are worth that alone. Couple that with all of the other improvements and it is a fantastic value compared to the JK.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Everybody said the same thing about the JK...

And with all the next-gen aspects, few people when looking at a JK and JL side by side in 3-5 yrs will pay nearly as much for the same category 2018 JK as the 2018 JL. The transmissions alone make up the price difference, add the back-up camera, side airbags, and 5” Uconnect over the old 130 as base options, and you’ve got big differentiators right there without going far into the options/setup weeds.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Everybody said the same thing about the JK...

And with all the next-gen aspects, few people when looking at a JK and JL side by side in 3-5 yrs will pay nearly as much for the same category 2018 JK as the 2018 JL. The transmissions alone make up the price difference, add the back-up camera, side airbags, and 5” Uconnect over the old 130 as base options, and you’ve got big differentiators right there without going far into the options/setup weeds.
I don’t see why, anybody but that one guy who made a video about why he bought a JK over a JL, think this is a valid argument.
The JL is a much better vehicle, that’s being compared to a vehicle that was initially developped and priced more than 10 years ago...!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t see why, anybody but that one guy who made a video about why he bought a JK over a JL, think this is a valid argument.
The JL is a much better vehicle, that’s being compared to a vehicle that was initially developped and priced more than 10 years ago...!
Definitely.

My only caveat is this... the 2018 JL might not hold its value as well as long as the 2008 or 2012 JKs did. I think you might see slightly more depreciation from the JLs, but only because there will be so many JKs as well as JLs out there over time. Plus the competition from the Turbo, Diesel, PUG+BSG, and PHEV variants might slightly impact the 2018 JL long term depreciation slightly heavier than the JK which didn’t have as wide availability until later in its run, didn’t have much internal pressure... but did have more initial competition in the likes of the FJ and Defender abroad, although in 3-5 years there will be the Bronco and the new Defender wannabe, and Toyota also-ran to contend with too, so maybe some new other vs old JL pressure at resale time depending on their features & pricing.

I don’t think it will be dramatic regardless of the external and internal alternatives, but if the 2012 and 2015 JKs set records for the JK line for resale in the high 70s & low 80s percentiles, my guess is the worst the JL would do from this type of solid resale would be to perhaps be low 70s, and again maybe 5% or so lower than the JK’s 5-yr average later.

In any case, it’s unlikely that the JL will slip out of the top 10 regardless especially since it and the Tacoma usually lead everyone else by a significant margin.

And with regards to pricing, just look at the 4-Runner, currently very over-priced for old tech by most reviewers standards, however its solid reputation, high customer demand have kept resale value up with the Wrangler and Tacoma to this day. I see the JL doing the same even if the price sentiment is an issue.

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I think you guys are missing the point. Once you start pricing a vehicle between $50-60K you start comparing it to high end cars like Q5, X5, Range Rover, Volvo and Mercedes Benz.

With that being said, I WANT ONE, but not sure I will get all the bells and whistles.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I think you guys are missing the point. Once you start pricing a vehicle between $50-60K you start comparing it to high end cars like Q5, X5, Range Rover, Volvo and Mercedes Benz.

With that being said, I WANT ONE, but not sure I will get all the bells and whistles.
I don't think so. Even with all the "bells and whistles" the Wrangler is in a category by itself as it's the most capable off road vehicle made (we could maybe argue if you throw in the G Wagon, but that is well above $100K). There are many more comfortable vehicles in this price range...there are many more cars with greater safety features...there are many more vehicles that get better gas mileage...you get my point. But, there is none, out of the box, that are as capable as the Wrangler off road...period. You can't simply compare cost. It all depends on what you wish to spend your money on, and if you want to be in the back country, then the JL is the market leader and the best that is out there. Can you make other vehicles approach the Wrangler's capability with numerous aftermarket upgrades? Yep, but then you get to the same number of dollars out of pocket. JMHO.

Sponsored

JDMRN81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2018 GC Altitude
Occupation
RN, doctoral student
While I agree there should have been a price increase from the JK due to the advanced technology/improvements, the fact of the matter is the JK was slightly overpriced. But, I don't blame the men/women in suits for their pricing practice because the demand is there and people are willing to pay......

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
The Willys guy? :cwl: you know he's going to regret it sooner than later if he's not already. He's probably already looking into a trade in

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No you don’t. Because those vehicles are really $70-80K vehicles if you value the features that make a Wrangler $50-60K to begin with.

Also, whether the perceived competition were those options or going with a lower price variant replacing a VW instead of the Audi, they aren’t competition when they aren’t convertible, and more importantly aren’t a Wrangler.

Equatting it just based on price is a fallacy that makes a $50-60K 15-passenger crew van the same market as a Corvette, the Mercedes or a John Deere 5-6 series tractor because they have the same sticker price at some point.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
No you don’t. Because those vehicles are really $70-80K vehicles if you value the features that make a Wrangler $50-60K to begin with.

Also, whether the perceived competition were those options or going with a lower price variant replacing a VW instead of the Audi, they aren’t competition when they aren’t convertible, and more importantly aren’t a Wrangler.

Equatting it just based on price is a fallacy that makes a $50-60K 15-passenger crew van the same market as a Corvette, the Mercedes or a John Deere 5-6 series tractor because they have the same sticker price at some point.
John Deere :cwl::cwl:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the fact of the matter is the JK was also overpriced.
The fact that they needed to add an extra shift and reduce holiday time in order to meet demand means that the JK wasn’t over-priced.

It may have been priced higher than you wanted to pay for it, or you thought was reasonable, but its sales success & leadership means it wasn’t overpriced.
Sponsored