Sponsored

Dashcam Hardwiring

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
If any of you plan on hard wiring a dash cam, I found the cleanest install without running a wire all the way to your fuse box would be tapping into the power on the auto dimming mirror (if you have this equipped on your Jeep)

The little plastic cap behind the mirror just pops off. The black wire is ground and the pink/yellow stripe wire is IGN on the plug for the mirror.
I cut and soldered these to tap into these connections, I couldn't fit my heat shrink into the wiring because they were too short, so I just wrapped it in electrical tape. I used a JST RCY plug I had extras laying around for a quick power disconnect.

I shortened both ends of the wiring on the USB hardwire kit by cutting it shorter and resoldering it back onto the circuit board. I then tucked it all into the plastic trim the mirror attaches to since we don’t have a headliner like on a regular car.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dashcam Hardwiring 379783F2-7048-4082-BDFF-FD9E2C26316A

Jeep Wrangler JL Dashcam Hardwiring 52F0569A-F551-4129-9976-37EC2442C749

Jeep Wrangler JL Dashcam Hardwiring 91B6FE55-20F0-428F-84AA-A994F426FCE1

Jeep Wrangler JL Dashcam Hardwiring C0604C0A-D5F1-4361-AA6B-6BD683ED77C7
Sponsored

Last edited:

haligen

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Rubicon
Just did mine today and used the wires above the mirror for the airbag notifications. Super close and easy. No auto dim mirror.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good. Is that the a119? I’ve been looking at getting a dash cam, but can’t decide what to get.

Does it easily come off the windshield, or is it permanently stuck there? I worry about someone stealing whatever I get when my doors are off if I have to leave it mounted.

OP
OP
nsfw_andy

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
Looks good. Is that the a119? I’ve been looking at getting a dash cam, but can’t decide what to get.

Does it easily come off the windshield, or is it permanently stuck there? I worry about someone stealing whatever I get when my doors are off if I have to leave it mounted.
Yeah it’s the A119 v3, I heard good reviews about it and it was on sale on Amazon for $83 so I snatched it up.

The camera itself comes off easily because you only stick the GPS unit onto the windshield and the Dashcam itself slides on and off the gps unit.
Sponsored