First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 X3 M40i, 2019 M4 Cv Comp, 2013 Abarth
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
DIY on how I installed my Garmin Dash Cam 46 and tapped the power off the auto-dimming mirror so the Dash Cam would only turn on when the start button is in Run or ACC mode.

My Jeep has the Advance Safety Group package which includes a big box right behind the rear view mirror. The box is large enough to accommodate the power adapter....but
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Garmin or any Dashcam. Tap power from auto dim mirror Box

I decided to break apart the Garmin 12v cigarette adapter housing and use the raw electronic inside to reduce the size. This is not necessary but I did it anyway.
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Garmin or any Dashcam. Tap power from auto dim mirror completed

I tapped the power from the Auto-dimming mirror which only energizes when the ignition button is in "Run" or "ACC" mode. The positive 12v wire color is pink with yellow stripe. For Negative, I simply tapped to a grounding screw.
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Garmin or any Dashcam. Tap power from auto dim mirror wire

The USB power is then routed from the Box behind the mirror to the camera.
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Garmin or any Dashcam. Tap power from auto dim mirror route

Here is the video of the entire process if anyone is interested. I tried to trim the video as much as I can to shorten it. Total video time is about 6 minutes

RT
Sponsored

Last edited:

PntBlnk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler HA 4xe
DIY on how I installed my Garmin Dash Cam 46 and tapped the power off the auto-dimming mirror so the Dash Cam would only turn on when the start button is in Run or ACC mode.

My Jeep has the Advance Safety Group package which includes a big box right behind the rear view mirror. The box is large enough to accommodate the power adapter....but
Box.jpg

I decided to break apart the Garmin 12v cigarette adapter housing and use the raw electronic inside to reduce the size. This is not necessary but I did it anyway.
completed.jpg

I tapped the power from the Auto-dimming mirror which only energizes when the ignition button is in "Run" or "ACC" mode. The positive 12v wire color is pink with yellow stripe. For Negative, I simply tapped to a grounding screw.
wire.jpg

The USB power is then routed from the Box behind the mirror to the camera.
route.jpg

Here is the video of the entire process if anyone is interested. I tried to trim the video as much as I can to shorten it. Total video time is about 6 minutes

RT
why did you ground to a screw vs the black wire on that harness? Planning to hardwire a Uniden R3 this weekend and looking for the proper wire to tap into. Where is the screw that you used?

OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
why did you ground to a screw vs the black wire on that harness? Planning to hardwire a Uniden R3 this weekend and looking for the proper wire to tap into. Where is the screw that you used?
I used the chassis ground only because it was convenient. If you find a ground wire, you can use it.

Good luck.

PntBlnk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler HA 4xe
I used the chassis ground only because it was convenient. If you find a ground wire, you can use it.

Good luck.
Is there a chases ground in that area once you pull the plastic cover off or did you run the ground wire down the A pillar to someplace on the body?

OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
Is there a chases ground in that area once you pull the plastic cover off or did you run the ground wire down the A pillar to someplace on the body?
Hi PntBlk,
Yes, there is a bolt that is there with a ground to chassis.

I just saw that the video link to the installation was broken. I just fixed the link. Please watch the video at 5:00 minutes in and you will see how I mounted the spade to the ground wire and bolt it in to the chassis.

Here is the video link again.

RT

Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Rather than tap the existing mirror wires you can get a 12volt lighter socket tap which leaves you 2 accessory connections for cam, gps, gmrs radio, cb, ect. Routing a wire from a dashcam to the footwell is simple and takes no more than 10 minutes.

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
@RTCalifornia thank you for this video. I appreciate you for taking the time to post this for all of us.

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
BTW, will this item work for wiring a dash cam? Or do I need to use the board in the OEM plug to ensure proper voltage?

https://a.co/d/4MQ2uuv
Sponsored