Dan789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler 2020
Hi

Has anyone run into problems with the rear tank for the DAF and hitting it off road? My wife's JL is only a couple of months old and only taken it off road once and I am really concerned at the location of this.

Has anyone completed a modification on a custom relocation for this? Is there an aftermarket of the shelf relocation for this?

In my opinion, Jeep stuffed up big time with the location of this. It really hangs down at the back with a plastic tank and no protection.

If there are no aftermarket options, then I am thinking of getting a custom made tank and removing the useless underfloor storage they have put there and lifting it into that position. There is such wasted space there, especially when a fridge and other items have been installed.

Cheers

Daniel
Sponsored

Multihull

First Name
Commander Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2.2 diesel Rubicon
Occupation
Multihull Consultant, Automotive Drive Consultant
I thought I'd have the same issues too. I do so much full on serious 4wding and only touched it once.
But I do have a 2.5" lift and run 35" tyres when Wheeling off road.

OP
OP

Dan789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler 2020
I thought I'd have the same issues too. I do so much full on serious 4wding and only touched it once.
But I do have a 2.5" lift and run 35" tyres when Wheeling off road.
Multihull

Thank for your thoughts. I was planning on installing a 2.5 lift and 35's as well, just really concerned over how far it hangs down.
I am going to look into removing the rear muffler and locating the tank into the position where the useless under floor storage is locate dnow. This should lift it up high and out of harms way.

CallumJL

First Name
Callum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
I think you would have to be really unlucky to hit it. Mine does have a plate under it and a crossbeam infront I think it is. Would be very hard to hit the actual tank.

I wouldnt mind removing the muffler and adding an extra fuel tank in place of it. Maybe reposition the def tank at the same time and add a skid plate under the entire lot.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
Saw a post from Metal Cloak over the last couple of days that they've released a plate specifically for the DEF tank. Not sure if it fits RHD though.

millersues

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
The only modification you can make to the tank is to reinforce it with a steel plate that will cover it completely. You may have to weld this to the bottom or use heavy-duty self-tapping screws that will hold up to drilling into the metal. I'm not sure that's a great idea. I guess that you should know exactly the tank's dimensions inside. But you better get your wife another car to go off-road. There are some great Jeeps at https://www.truck1.eu/tractor-units/daf-xf-460-4x2-sc-intarder-2x-tanks-acc-euro-6-a6128550.html that go over any terrain. We bought one to take out into the countryside in Albuquerque. There are a lot of rocks there, and they often get under the fender of the front wheels of the car.
Sponsored

Last edited: