OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Went out to the powerline trail behind the house to cycle the suspension and check for any issues after installing some parts this past week. Everything is looking great, no contact on any of the suspension parts or axles. The 35's just barely touch the front fenders when fully stuffed and turned. I can live with that.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2842.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2845.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2846.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2847.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2848.JPG

OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I'm not a big fan of the granite crystal color on the wheels, so I decided to sand, prime, and paint them semi-gloss black.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2849.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2851.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2850.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2852.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2854.JPG

I think they look better than before and will hold me over for a while until I save some scratch for beadlocks.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Your daughter is a cutie!

I have the Spiderweb Shade and noticed it flapped, too, and drove me crazy. I got some 3/4” wide elastic and secured the shade to the rear bar and that eliminated the flapping.

You can see it in this pic:

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build E82B2C96-7E92-4267-BB2B-CC851DB42028-X3

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Good build thread. Unique perspective you don't see. Everyone is building as fast as possible, super cheap, then upgrading, or building big money budget all at once.

I've been following a similar one as well. I've been spending the big money where needed (armor, winch, suspension and tires eventually) and doing DIY fabrication/ copying/borrowing from camping/ outdoor tech where I can. Things are way cheaper when you find something intended for another purpose that also covers your usecase. Hard rule for me is if it gets me farther down the trail or guarantees safe passage home/ preservation, I'll spend to the cap. Everything else? DIY a clean solution.

OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Your daughter is a cutie!

I have the Spiderweb Shade and noticed it flapped, too, and drove me crazy. I got some 3/4” wide elastic and secured the shade to the rear bar and that eliminated the flapping.

You can see it in this pic:

I like that idea. Where'd you get the elastic band?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I like that idea. Where'd you get the elastic band?
I got this from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJB66G8/

I used an extremely thick thread that I bought for sewing a shade for our trellis. The elastic bands on the shade are holding up well.

We had the Spiderweb shade on our JK and it didn’t flap so I was surprised when it did on my JL. The elastic fixes that. I love the shade and keep it on when the top has to be up.

OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Good build thread. Unique perspective you don't see. Everyone is building as fast as possible, super cheap, then upgrading, or building big money budget all at once.

I've been following a similar one as well. I've been spending the big money where needed (armor, winch, suspension and tires eventually) and doing DIY fabrication/ copying/borrowing from camping/ outdoor tech where I can. Things are way cheaper when you find something intended for another purpose that also covers your usecase. Hard rule for me is if it gets me farther down the trail or guarantees safe passage home/ preservation, I'll spend to the cap. Everything else? DIY a clean solution.
Thanks. I checked yours out, as well; lots of good DIY info in there and some helpful lessons learned. I saw the damage after your RC trip; looks like those skids are already paying for themselves!

Sponsored

OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I got this from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJB66G8/

I used an extremely thick thread that I bought for sewing a shade for our trellis. The elastic bands on the shade are holding up well.

We had the Spiderweb shade on our JK and it didn’t flap so I was surprised when it did on my JL. The elastic fixes that. I love the shade and keep it on when the top has to be up.
Seems easy enough, thanks for the link. And yes, I did too so I was also surprised by the flappiness. Oh well, good to have forums like this to share some simple solutions.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I saw the damage after your RC trip; looks like those skids are already paying for themselves!
Sure are; It's why I always build from the ground up (tires, skids, armor, winch, suspension, lockers, etc). For how they're holding up, I'm reasonably happy with the weight & heat savings/ corrosion resistance of the aluminum. I wasn't planning to bash my way through trails like that, and park the Jeep on them, but at the same time... I know how I am, and I don't want to be left exposed if something goes sideways.

More trail time and mods to come!

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Went out to the powerline trail behind the house to cycle the suspension and check for any issues after installing some parts this past week. Everything is looking great, no contact on any of the suspension parts or axles. The 35's just barely touch the front fenders when fully stuffed and turned. I can live with that.

quick question i see how you have your end links up and out of the way, but, it looks like you have a zip tie holding the sway bar up, but, cant tell what it is tied to ? is there a hole there that you used ?

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Outstanding build thread. Great seeing the changes and your thoughts! Impressive history of Jeep ownership.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
quick question i see how you have your end links up and out of the way, but, it looks like you have a zip tie holding the sway bar up, but, cant tell what it is tied to ? is there a hole there that you used ?
That’s a paint marker mark. The sway bar doesn’t really move and I just run a small bungee through the link to keep it out of the way. Didn’t do it in that pic since I was just checking things out, not doing any wheeling.
Sponsored