• Total voters

Sreedhar6789

First Name
Sreedhar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler 2014
I myself am a Jeep enthusiast and a part time graphic designer. I’ve been going through the JL Wrangler Forums and saw many people want the Red Dash board panel and are willing to Pay 300 for the new part. I’m wondering if it is a good idea to get a custom decal that’ll entirely cover the two pieces of the dashboard on the JL in a different color like blue, yellow, red whatever so that people don’t have to change the entire panel and just apply the decal carefully so that it will change the look of the dash panel. I came to this conclusion because I’m a first time jeep owner and not really handy with disconnecting battery, removing the panels and put them back on by messing up the electrical conndction. This would also help people to try out which color goes best on thier dash.

I’m asking pixeddecals this same question. But I also want to hear from the members opinion. Please voice your honest opinion.
Sponsored

Purity’sPa

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I myself am a Jeep enthusiast and a part time graphic designer. I’ve been going through the JL Wrangler Forums and saw many people want the Red Dash board panel and are willing to Pay 300 for the new part. I’m wondering if it is a good idea to get a custom decal that’ll entirely cover the two pieces of the dashboard on the JL in a different color like blue, yellow, red whatever so that people don’t have to change the entire panel and just apply the decal carefully so that it will change the look of the dash panel. I came to this conclusion because I’m a first time jeep owner and not really handy with disconnecting battery, removing the panels and put them back on by messing up the electrical conndction. This would also help people to try out which color goes best on thier dash.

I’m asking pixeddecals this same question. But I also want to hear from the members opinion. Please voice your honest opinion.
I like a white dash. Saw one on IG.

Purity’sPa

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can you share a picture if you can? Is it a decal or painted?
I think it’s painted. I thought I had a screen shot of it but can not locate
I like the red color too - not the orange that was stock. I don’t know why people call that red sometimes

OP
OP
Sreedhar6789

Sreedhar6789

First Name
Sreedhar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler 2014
I heard from PixelDecals that it is not possible for them to do a decal for the dash panels. I’ll talk to my friend who has 3D Printing outlet and see if he can do this.

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
There are eBay and amazon vendors that have abs overlays that change up the dash although I don’t know how the quality is.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

The passenger side panel should never be completely wrapped. There's an airbag there. To get a full decal to cover the panels properly, you'll have to take them off anyway. In the end, you'll probably put more work into getting them on properly than you would if you just painted them or swapped them

OP
OP
Sreedhar6789

Sreedhar6789

First Name
Sreedhar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler 2014
The passenger side panel should never be completely wrapped. There's an airbag there. To get a full decal to cover the panels properly, you'll have to take them off anyway. In the end, you'll probably put more work into getting them on properly than you would if you just painted them or swapped them
1. I don’t think it is a problem to put a decal on the dash panel as it is on the outside of the airbag. More like putting a decal on the outside of the panel. I vinylwrapped my BMW 5 series interior and the BMW authorized technician said Vinyl Wrapping doesn’t affect the airbag et all. I will call the Jeep dealers to check this as well.

2. We don’t have to remove the panels for vinyl wrapping or put a decal on the dash panels, skill is needed definitely to do it without removing the panels.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

1. I don’t think it is a problem to put a decal on the dash panel as it is on the outside of the airbag. More like putting a decal on the outside of the panel. I vinylwrapped my BMW 5 series interior and the BMW authorized technician said Vinyl Wrapping doesn’t affect the airbag et all. I will call the Jeep dealers to check this as well.

2. We don’t have to remove the panels for vinyl wrapping or put a decal on the dash panels, skill is needed definitely to do it without removing the panels.
Let us know what Jeep says - I'd hate to explain to the kids that their mother went through the windshield because the air bag didn't deploy (she'd forgot to click the seat belt)

OP
OP
Sreedhar6789

Sreedhar6789

First Name
Sreedhar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler 2014
There are eBay and amazon vendors that have abs overlays that change up the dash although I don’t know how the quality is.
I can say they’re really bad quality just by looking at the pictures

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
:whew: Interested in your ideas

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
What about using a Cricut to cut vinyl? I don’t really know how to use it but maybe my daughter can figure it out.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Let us know what Jeep says - I'd hate to explain to the kids that their mother went through the windshield because the air bag didn't deploy (she'd forgot to click the seat belt)
This is not remotely a problem. Airbags are powered by explosives. They are designed to BREAK the plastic and vinyl that cover them during the deployment process. There are several vehicles (my former Cadillac XTS Platinum, for instance) where they blow through leather. A thin decal poses no issue whatsoever.

The only concern of this kind, when it comes to airbags, is controlling potential "shrapnel" - for instance, if you were to add a hard plastic covering, or worse, a metal covering, you want to make damn sure you design it so that it breaks in a controlled manner and doesn't send razor sharp projectiles through the cabin. For a decal however this is not an issue.

Gibbage

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue Sport S
Occupation
3D Artist
I painted and did a full custom decal on my dash and made a video. Maybe this would help. I also agree that a thin decal and a layer of paint wont pose any difficulty to the air bag considering the Sahara needs to bust through LEATHER.
Sponsored