Cruise control help

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
The + and - buttons change the target speed you are setting CC to, which is indicated on the dash display.

A tap of the + button will increase your target speed setting by 1 MPH.
Holding the + button will increase your target speed setting to the nearest 5 MPH increment every second or so, and will stop increasing the setting when you release it.

However, the target speed setting indicated on the dash will increase faster than the Jeep accelerates. So you need to release the + button when the dash indicates the speed you want CC set to, not when the Jeep actually reaches that speed.

If you release the + button when you actually reach the speed you want to go, you probably have CC set to something like 90 MPH and the Jeep will keep accelerating to the speed you set. It's not like the old-school cruise controls where CC is set to the speed you're moving when you release the button.

Yep. Hit it on the head. Many vehicles operate just the same way. I use the 5 MPH increment all the time.

Sam

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I though I explained it all there.

I though I explained it all there.
Then I'm just plain confused. Are you asking a question? Are you telling us all how it's supposed to operate? Are you complaining about how the system is configured TO operate?

I'm especially confused by you taking a working as intended system in to be fixed.

OP
OP
bmwbutch

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
On my 2011 dodge ram, if you have the cruise set and want to increase you hold the + until the truck reaches the desired speed. You let off and it is set at that speed. This is the way all cruise control I have ever used worked. On this jeep, if you hold the + until the jeep reaches your desired speed, and let off it runs wide open. I told the service guy this and asked if I was doing something wrong. He had me bring it in. Took the mechanic out, did just what I said and he said he had never seen this happen. Was told to take it home and they would read up on the problem. When I called back they told me there was nothing wrong. I was not aware of how it worked until I posted here and Reinen explained it. Took it out and sure enough that is how it works. I read the manual and it was not clear (at least not to me). I replied this morning hoping if someone else was having this problem, they may find it and help to understand. All I do know is it took me by surprise the first time it took off wide open on it's on.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Then I'm just plain confused. Are you asking a question? Are you telling us all how it's supposed to operate? Are you complaining about how the system is configured TO operate?

I'm especially confused by you taking a working as intended system in to be fixed.
It's just confusion about how the CC + and - buttons work on the JL, which are different than how the + and - controls work on older vehicles.

On older vehicles, the speed that CC is set to is not displayed. You would press + or - until your speedometer reaches the speed you want to maintain and you release the button. CC will hold your speed there.

But the JL does display the speed the CC is set to and you can adjust it faster than the JL will accelerate or decelerate. The OP didn't notice that and was using the + and - buttons as was done in older vehicles. Doing that would cause the JL's CC to be set much faster or slower than the operator intended.

The OP understands now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bmwbutch

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
It's just confusion about how the CC + and - buttons work on the JL, which are different than how the + and - controls work on older vehicles.

On older vehicles, the speed that CC is set to is not displayed. You would press + or - until your speedometer reaches the speed you want to maintain and you release the button. CC will hold your speed there.

But the JL does display the speed the CC is set to and you can adjust it faster than the JL will accelerate or decelerate. The OP didn't notice that and was using the + and - buttons as was done in older vehicles. Doing that would cause the JL's CC to be set much faster or slower than the operator intended.

The OP understands now.
Thank you. I though I had made that clear, but guess not.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I though I had made that clear, but guess not.
My bad then. My bad. (seriously, I figured there was a miscommunication somewhere :) )

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
FWIW, I thought you did. 🤷‍♂️
I too understood from the original post. The same thing happened to me the first time I drove my wife's 4xe. I had it set to 62. Then I got out of town and the speed limit increased to 70. I held the Set(+) button and then released with the Jeep made it to 75. And then it just kept accelerating. I looked down and the cruise was set to 100mph. I learned pretty quickly that it worked differently than my old JK, and every other vehicle I had ever driven.

My new Rubi had adaptive CC. I was hooked after one day.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
You need adaptive cruise, I wish I would have gotten it on my Jeep. I have it on my Outback and I'm going to miss it so much. I couldn't afford it though.
Adaptive CC is the b0mb!!! And with a manual transmission you can change gears without canceling the cruise.

I set it to the speed I want to drive. Then my jeep just speeds up and slows down with traffic. If it slows down enough to require downshift, I just put it in a lower gear. Then as traffic speeds up I go back up a gear. Never have to touch the gas.

The only down fall is when a jack hole takes advantage of the gap between me and the car in front of me. Then it brakes hard until the gap is restored. So you have to find the gap large enough so you aren't tailgating but small enough so someone doesn't move in. But there is always "that guy".

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The only down fall is when a jack hole takes advantage of the gap between me and the car in front of me. Then it brakes hard until the gap is restored. So you have to find the gap large enough so you aren't tailgating but small enough so someone doesn't move in. But there is always "that guy".
In partial defense of That Guy, there will be those times when traffic conditions advise against the use of cruise control, no matter how it may function.

Sudden and hard braking by the ACC feature may not be expected by the vehicle behind you, if only because that driver reasonably believes, or expects, that there's too much traffic for anyone to consider using the cruise function, no matter that it may be "adaptive".

I was a jury foreman, twice, when this and related issues were part & parcel of the cases being tried. Trust me when I say that the person who is rear-ended in such circumstances may still be liable to some degree. Even when they function exactly as designed, electronic driver aids do not automatically absolve the driver of responsibility in collisions.

Things like ACC are pleasant conveniences, true enough. As they are plainly capable of abrupt and semi-autonomous operation, though, drivers must be that much more judicious when choosing when and when not to use them. See "brakes hard", above.
Sponsored