Cruise control help

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Searched but found nothing to help. 2021 JL. If I have cruise set at say 60, push the increase once it goes up once. Bump it 5 times it goes up 5 times. That's fine. If I hold it down until it hits the speed it want and let off, it goes wide open and will not stop increasing until I turn the cruise off. Owners manual says to do it this way. Took it in to the to get it fixed and was told there was nothing wrong. Seems dangerous to me. Differently took me by surprise first time it happened.

Page 169 of manual:
To Vary The Speed Setting

To Increase Or Decrease The Set Speed

When the Cruise Control is set, you can increase
speed by pushing the SET (+) button, or
decrease speed by pushing the SET (-) button.
U.S. Speed (mph)

 Pushing the SET (+), or SET (-) button once
will result in a 1 mph speed adjustment. Each
subsequent tap of the button results in an
adjustment of 1 mph.

 If the button is continually pushed, the set
speed will continue to adjust until the button
is released, then the new set speed will be
established.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The + and - buttons change the target speed you are setting CC to, which is indicated on the dash display.

A tap of the + button will increase your target speed setting by 1 MPH.
Holding the + button will increase your target speed setting to the nearest 5 MPH increment every second or so, and will stop increasing the setting when you release it.

However, the target speed setting indicated on the dash will increase faster than the Jeep accelerates. So you need to release the + button when the dash indicates the speed you want CC set to, not when the Jeep actually reaches that speed.

If you release the + button when you actually reach the speed you want to go, you probably have CC set to something like 90 MPH and the Jeep will keep accelerating to the speed you set. It's not like the old-school cruise controls where CC is set to the speed you're moving when you release the button.

OP
OP
bmwbutch

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Not the way I read the manual. Sale man, service people or mechanic could not tell me what was going on. Just said it was normal.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
You need adaptive cruise, I wish I would have gotten it on my Jeep. I have it on my Outback and I'm going to miss it so much. I couldn't afford it though.

OP
OP
bmwbutch

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Tried. Cruise set and running. Bumping the + increases speed 1 mile an hour. You can bump it fast and increase per bump. This is all on the display, not real world speed. Push and hold and it goes up in 5 mile increments. Keeps climbing as you hold it. Just as I was told, here. Why could the sales man, service people and mechanic not tell me this? Guess it's like going in a Harley dealership. Used to be owners, sales people and service people were bikers. Now they are just employees.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bmwbutch

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Was that suppose to mean something important.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Why could the sales man, service people and mechanic not tell me this?
To be fair, I realized what you were doing because my previous vehicle's CC operated this way. Setting itself to the speed you're moving when you release the + button because there is no target speed displayed on the dash. I had to make the same operating adjustment myself.

If you've been in the JL world for years this subtle change in how the CC buttons work may not occur to you.

OP
OP
bmwbutch

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Last jeep I owner was a 79 J-10 pickup. It had no cruise. Everything I have ever driven worked the old way. If you read the manual after you know how it works, you can understand what it's stating. Thanks so much for your response. Nice to have people that try to help instead of trying to be a smart a$$.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Couple questions:

In what situation are you needing to increase your speed by 5 at a time?

What engine do you have?

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
To Increase Or Decrease The Set Speed

When the Cruise Control is set, you can increase
speed by pushing the SET (+) button, or
decrease speed by pushing the SET (-) button.
U.S. Speed (mph)

 Pushing the SET (+), or SET (-) button once
will result in a 1 mph speed adjustment. Each
subsequent tap of the button results in an
adjustment of 1 mph.

If the button is continually pushed, the set
speed will continue to adjust until the button
is released, then the new set speed will be
established.
The bolded text in the quote can be read, or interpreted, in two ways:
1. Continuing to individually push, or tap, the SET + button an indeterminate number of times.
2. Pressing and holding the SET + button.

#2 is the meaning that the text's author likely intended, with respect to how the Cruise Control feature actually functions in the JL-generation Jeep. If that's the case, he might have been well served to write it in the manner I did. Correct syntax makes it easy to properly convey what one wants to say, but the scribe must first know how to say it.

I was a technical writer for many years, so imprecise grammar is something I notice without trying.

OP
OP
bmwbutch

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Couple questions:

In what situation are you needing to increase your speed by 5 at a time?

What engine do you have?
If your asking me why you need to increase your speed by 5 at a time, I have no idea. That's just the way it worked. I was trying to explain how mine worked as I though, as Heimkehr stated, the manual was lacking.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Took it in to the to get it fixed and was told there was nothing wrong. Seems dangerous to me.
You took it in to get it fixed? Get what fixed? That's my root cause of my first question.

If any of us, in any car, are going 50 MPH and then decide we need to be doing 80 MPH... most of us, most of the time, would steadily and moderately increase throttle to get to the that speed. But alternatively, if we wanted to be there NOW, we'd floor it. That's what the computer is doing. There's nothing to fix there. It's operating as intended.

I could easily see Stellantis, or GM or Ford or Kia, etc, coming under fire for a certain rate of acceleration being either too little or too much. Under this system, the burden is on us the operator of the vehicle.

OP
OP
bmwbutch

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
You took it in to get it fixed? Get what fixed? That's my root cause of my first question.

If any of us, in any car, are going 50 MPH and then decide we need to be doing 80 MPH... most of us, most of the time, would steadily and moderately increase throttle to get to the that speed. But alternatively, if we wanted to be there NOW, we'd floor it. That's what the computer is doing. There's nothing to fix there. It's operating as intended.

I could easily see Stellantis, or GM or Ford or Kia, etc, coming under fire for a certain rate of acceleration being either too little or too much. Under this system, the burden is on us the operator of the vehicle.
Did you read my first post?

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase