Creaking sound from driver side pillar

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Technically it could be done quite easily. Isolate the area, Sand blast the paint off. Do some tac Welds and repaint with the spray paint Mopar Color match paint, and apply a clear coat spray paint. That area is really unseen anyway. Half the paint on the interior of the jeep behind panels, etc is crappy anyway.

To the OP, Try shoving some strong Rubber in there and see if that helps.
I wouldn't trust my dealer to do it :)
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I wouldn't trust my dealer to do it :)
Ya my post was meant more for a DIY solution LOL. Theres honestly very few things I'd take my vehicle in for warranty work. Everything else even though would be free I'd rather buy the parts and do myself for that reason. I just don't trust the dealers to fix things right.

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ya my post was meant more for a DIY solution LOL. Theres honestly very few things I'd take my vehicle in for warranty work. Everything else even though would be free I'd rather buy the parts and do myself for that reason. I just don't trust the dealers to fix things right.
Totally agree. For a DIY approach, I think most people don't have access to a welder & sand blasting equipment, but most could buy the epoxy and the gun and feel more comfortable doing that fix (assuming this is the issue).

Oldtimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Ltd
4BF516A9-0ABF-4BBC-B47B-9EEF5E78DB0F.jpeg
C6F41F1E-199A-41E8-937D-C3934738DAA0.jpeg

First pic is driver’s side. Second is passenger side. That plate runs down the B pillar and meets where the seat belt is attached. I believe that’s the part that’s creaking with body flex. I haven’t had the chance to check other JLs yet as I just discovered this while tearing plastic parts off the roll bars in a desperate attempt to find the metal-on-metal creaking sound that has gotten so bad it makes me grind my teeth out of frustration.
Thanks for the post. I have the exact same issue in the exact same spot.

NOVAJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WK2 Trailhawk and ordered 2018 JLUR
Thanks for the post. I have the exact same issue in the exact same spot.
I have the same missing weld as well (build 5/18). I am going to check some JLs on the dealer lot on Friday to see if they have welds on the drivers side.

Sponsored

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I also have no weld on the drivers side. Next is to figure out if we should. Maybe need to start a new thread for people with no creaking to find out.

I also noticed there is some epoxy in that area already on other panels.

spoiledkari

First Name
Kari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Occupation
Teacher
Big surprise here...the dealership could not fix the problem nor could they isolate where exactly it is coming from. They threw some body filler in a few places and told me that the creaking was gone but it actually made it worse. The JL that is on the lot there that we looked at does have a weld in that spot. But we think the sound is coming from a place that's in front of that area anyway. They told me there's nothing more they can do and that I need to contact FCA to request a tech engineer to come out to look at it. We'll see where this ends up.

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Big surprise here...the dealership could not fix the problem nor could they isolate where exactly it is coming from. They threw some body filler in a few places and told me that the creaking was gone but it actually made it worse. The JL that is on the lot there that we looked at does have a weld in that spot. But we think the sound is coming from a place that's in front of that area anyway. They told me there's nothing more they can do and that I need to contact FCA to request a tech engineer to come out to look at it. We'll see where this ends up.
Well that sucks! Can you post some pics of where they put the body filler? And was it filler or structural epoxy? Thanks for posting back. Let us know what FCA says.

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I had a creaking sound in the driver’s side pillar (part of the roll cage where the driver’s seatbelt is mounted) but only with the top off. I put the front driver’s side bolt for the hard top on without the hard top and the creaking noise stopped. The dealer sent the Jeep to the body shop. They discovered it was a drain tube inside rubbing on metal. They applied some lubricant (smelled terrible for two days), and the noise was gone. Still fine after a few months.

spoiledkari

First Name
Kari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Occupation
Teacher
I had a creaking sound in the driver’s side pillar (part of the roll cage where the driver’s seatbelt is mounted) but only with the top off. I put the front driver’s side bolt for the hard top on without the hard top and the creaking noise stopped. The dealer sent the Jeep to the body shop. They discovered it was a drain tube inside rubbing on metal. They applied some lubricant (smelled terrible for two days), and the noise was gone. Still fine after a few months.
I was thinking along the same lines and I stuck one of the hard top bolts in just for craps and giggles. No fixey. Boo!

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
6BEE31E4-28B0-409B-9BFD-54A29508F22E.jpeg
E6E506CA-6330-4142-BFE2-7E118210A897.jpeg
So I too checked my 7/03/18 build and 8 have no weld but there is a screw there. My 2 sides:

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Btw I have no creaking sound
Thanks for posting. So weird that you have screws and no one else seems to. Looks like you have a hard top?

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for posting. I'm starting to wonder if this is the issue. Someone who has no creaking sent me a pic of their drain tube and there is like a millimeter of clearance between it and the frame, but when looking at mine, it's touching the frame. I'm going to try to either lube it, put some felt in, or epoxy it against the frame and see if that helps.

For the record, the same guy who has no creaking has no "weld" on the drivers side either, so seems like that might not be the culprit.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting. So weird that you have screws and no one else seems to. Looks like you have a hard top?
Yes. I have Hard Top.
Sponsored