Sponsored

Crashed JLUR needs new frame (backordered until at least March)

Truckin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Totaled), 2020 JLUR
I recently went through a similar situation with my insurance company where my 2019 Rubicon was rear ended and needed to have the frame replaced. They wanted to repair it until they determined that with the replaced frame, it would need to have a salvage title. They then decided to total it. It took about two weeks for them to finally come to this determination - I kept pushing diminished value the whole time so they were thinking about it. Good luck to you.
Sponsored

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Opinions are the medium between knowledge and ignorance
according to Plato.

As a car dealer with 30 years experience and who is now calculating this kind of stuff professionally, here are the facts:

Unless this repaired wreck of a Jeep is sold to an unaware and/or ignorant dealer or consumer, the 20% loss in value is fact.

Repaired frame damage is somewhere around 15%.

These facts don't prevent a dealer or a consumer from looking past the reported accident history, if one of them really needs to make a deal, so it comes down to, who needs to buy or sell that Jeep more?

The Jeep is a personal asset, so whether it is sold or not, that asset has lost a lot of value.

Talk is cheap, so why not go to a few consumer web sites and put the Jeep's information in twice, as with and without a report accident and frame damage.

Everything else is only an opinion....
And remember on the internet Caps or Bold text makes it true, especially when snark is thrown in...

CO_JeepJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Out of curiousity, any update on this?

Thank you everyone for your advice and opinions. I’ve had a few discussions with my insurance company (USAA). I filed it through them although Progressive will be reimbursing them since their client was 100% at fault.

So far here is what I’ve learned from my multiple conversations with USAA:
The only consideration when deciding whether or not to total a vehicle is the repair costs. The grand total of their payout isn’t considered in the calculations. This means that the rental car cost (usaa’s cost is $50 per day) isn’t factored in. Neither is Diminished Value, which I need to file for directly with Progressive. With some poking around, submitting stuff in autotrader, calling a friend in the car business, the DV is estimated to be about $12k. Of course, I’m sure Progressive will counter much lower. All of these numbers are not used by the insurance companies as a total. They are all separate. Therefore, even if it costs them more in the end, they don’t appear to be willing to settle. And that doesn’t even include the possibility of a medical, which I’m within my right to do due to some lingering shoulder issues I’m having.

I asked at what point my level of customer service is calculated in, especially being stuck in a rental car for at least 5 months. They stated that they don’t have any hard set rules in terms of time frame/duration of delayed repairs, but 6 months would probably be a point where they might consider totaling it. Which is crazy, because any delay would put me over 6 months. And I would guess that a delay is likely, first with having frame released from Chrysler, and second with any unforeseen delays with repairs, new issues that come up, etc. I pointed this out to them, but they said it’s too early in the process to consider that. As an aside, the collision shop manager stated their average repair is 12 days.

As for the collision repair place (Caliber Collision), they are associated with USAA. I’ve come to realize (duh) that totaling my Jeep isn’t in their best interest as a business. I assume they “discover” more damage once repairs begin, but probably not enough to total it, especially at that point (once the frame arrive in March). Im contemplating having my Jeep towed to a different collision center to get a second opinion.

Finally, I haven’t reached out to progressive directly yet. I’m thinking that that might be a good option, hopefully to show them that from a total cost standpoint, totaling the Jeep now versus waiting 5 months for repairs, may be more cost effective for them, or at least a break even point and they don’t have to deal with me being a pain in the ass for the next 5 months.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, was wondering how the guy made out! Especially since all the time he was calculating was "Pre Covid"....
Sponsored