Coolant Incident

Dyvin_m

First Name
Dyvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Hello everyone, so something dumb happened, but everyone makes mistakes. I don’t know what I was thinking but I topped off my overflow tank (coolant) on my JL before going on a 60 mile (45 min) trip for a fireman’s convention. Well night guy here forgot to put the lid back on the tank and the coolant began to overflow out the tank when I parked at the hotel. (No check engine or warning light came on or any other dash light) the engine also never overheated... I left it parked got some coolant and refilled it. (A fellow firefighter found my cap and my house and brought it to me) I made sure it was full and set off to Walmart to buy more coolant just to get by for the weekend) I know I have to have a flush and replace with the correct Mopar Coolant (the 10 year, 150,000 miles.) Needless to say I drove to Walmart (3-5 minutes away slowly) and the overflow tank was empty again, still no overheating. I filled it up again, this time I left the cap off and squeezed the radiator hoses to help try to bleed the air out of the system... I then started it and let it get up to warmer operating conditions and refilled as necessary... I then squeezed the radiator hose again to help air escape... after about 20 min the engine was warm and the overflow tank stayed full. I drove it home today, no overheating (hottest was 219 over a big hill on the interstate, mostly 195-210.)

My questions are, so you think anything got messed up? (I had people following me and it never leaked on the way there, just when I stopped at the hotel)

And also does anyone know how to do a coolant flush on the JL’s!? I’ve looked everywhere and nothing.... :(

Overall I’m just so paranoid it’s been bothering me and driving me crazy!!!!
Sponsored

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Based on what you said i doubt you did any long term damage. I would be more concerned with what type of coolant you used as in HOAT vs OAT. The JL's use OAT so im assuming whatever Walmart carries in not OAT. As you have stated a Flush is needed at this point. I cant speak to how to flush the coolant system on the JL but i cant imagine its any different that the JK way. Assuming you did not use the correct coolant, i recommend flushing it twice.

OP
OP

Dyvin_m

First Name
Dyvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Based on what you said i doubt you did any long term damage. I would be more concerned with what type of coolant you used as in HOAT vs OAT. The JL's use OAT so im assuming whatever Walmart carries in not OAT. As you have stated a Flush is needed at this point. I cant speak to how to flush the coolant system on the JL but i cant imagine its any different that the JK way. Assuming you did not use the correct coolant, i recommend flushing it twice.
Well my initial thought was to drain, fill it all the way up with distilled water, run the engine till warm, drain the distilled water then add correct fluid?

OP
OP

Dyvin_m

First Name
Dyvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Also, the JL doesn’t have a Radiator Cap? The overflow tank cap acts as a Radiator Cap?

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I would wonder why you were low on coolant? And then what you used to top off with. Being low on coolant isn't normal...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dyvin_m

First Name
Dyvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I would wonder why you were low on coolant? And then what you used to top off with. Being low on coolant isn't normal...
I was too much in a hurry and forgot to put the reservoir cap back on (it said a rated for 21 psi.) Well the whole trip it was circulating fine, no overheating or anything, but when I shut off the engine the hot coolant went rushing back up to the overflow tank and well it all game out.... well I can’t measure exactly how much came out but a decent amount... and the coolant was “Peak 50/50” brand... that’s why I was asking if anyone knew how to do a coolant flush on a JL, so I can put the correct fluid in.... I’m not driving it again till I replace the fluid unless it’s an emergency (right now I’m driving my 2019 WRX STi)

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Oh. Your original post made it seem like you topped it off, left the cap off and then went on a trip. So why did you take the cap off to begin with?

Actually doesn’t matter . Someone responded to your other thread.... I’m sure no permanent damage done.

OP
OP

Dyvin_m

First Name
Dyvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Oh. Your original post made it seem like you topped it off, left the cap off and then went on a trip. So why did you take the cap off to begin with?

Actually doesn’t matter . Someone responded to your other thread.... I’m sure no permanent damage done.
Idk it was about a half an inch below the minimum line on the overflow tank? Just thought I would tip it off... I was told the minimum should be when the engine was cold and the max level was when the enigine was warm... idk how I lost coolant in the first place, I always check under my vehicles...

OP
OP

Dyvin_m

First Name
Dyvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Also do you think I need a radiator flush or a full system flush!? Full system I won’t attempt myself and probably costs upwards of $450 (radiator, engine and heater core flush)

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Did you use a coolant that was not approved for use in FCA vehicles? Like mixing old time green with orange Dexcool?

If you mixed coolants, have the whole system flushed. You can have this done at most of the chain oil change companies.

If you used a compatible coolant—leave it alone and drive it!

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
2019 jeep wrangler jl sport 3.6 does not have radiator or drain plug, so for this how do you flush and refill coolant on this jeep?
Sponsored