Connect WiFi

CJJL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
!986 CJ7 & 2020 Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
Does the Uconnect Wifi work off of a satellite or cell towers? In other words, if I go off-roading into a remote area, will I still be able to use the wifi for maps, phone calls and such or will I lose the signal like I lose my cell service?
Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It's ATT cell service and it blows my horrible tmobile service out of the water (everywhere, city and rural) to the point that I've paid for it since I've owned my 2018. If you don't need better service for spotify/gps (like you already use vz/att) you probably don't need it.

One gotcha, the Jeep turns its ACC off after 15(?) minutes so you can't really use it as a camp-site or powers-out hotspot. It doesn't have a sim card you can remove to throw in a hotspot. And the signal exiting the Jeep is really weak, like my office next to the garage barely gets signal, 1-2 bars, but full in the Jeep in its garage under 4 floors of townhouse.

OP
OP
CJJL

CJJL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
!986 CJ7 & 2020 Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
It's ATT cell service and it blows my horrible tmobile service out of the water (everywhere, city and rural) to the point that I've paid for it since I've owned my 2018. If you don't need better service for spotify/gps (like you already use vz/att) you probably don't need it.
Thanks. I do have Verizon and don't have a problem with service. My only hope was that it was satellite based, like XM radio and that it would allow me to have service in remote areas.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I do have Verizon and don't have a problem with service. My only hope was that it was satellite based, like XM radio and that it would allow me to have service in remote areas.
If you don't lose cell where you travel it's pretty pointless especially if you can tether your passengers to your phone already. I actually bought a hotspot for camping anyway (with the att IPAD $30/unlimited service)
Sponsored