andwew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma 98
Hello-
My 2018 JLUR has been completely falling apart lately. At first it had a couple of weak starts and then no start- I replaced both the main batter and the aux battery 1 week ago.
Today I started the car and then engine didn't start, got stuck in RUN and went haywire.
The only way I could turn it off was to disconnect the battery. When I reconnect it, it does this same thing. This is insane!

Does anyone have some ideas just so I can get it to the dealership?
It feels like the the car is completely busted.
Here's a link to a video. Please help.

PXL_20210525_011636735.jpg
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Have you metered the batteries separately to check voltages, I know you said you put new batteries in but start by checking the battery voltages

OP
OP
andwew

andwew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma 98
Have you metered the batteries separately to check voltages, I know you said you put new batteries in but start by checking the battery voltages
Thanks wrangler man. I just checked and the voltage was very very low 6 Volts. Got a friend to jump me and I'm up and running again.
I guess the low voltage explains the craziness. Now I have to find out why the battery died in the first place... šŸ˜ 
Thanks again

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@andwew glad your up and running now we need to find out why your batteries were so low.

You said you put new aux and main crank battery in ā€¦ā€¦so were they fully charged when you put them in ?

If your JL is parked a lot your best best is to get a properly sized smart charger and keep your Jeep on it, if they were fully charged and itā€™s a daily driver we need to look at other things like parasitic draw, all newer vehicles have battery draw 24/7 but if you have say solenoids in the background or dash cams these all add to the load and will pull the batteries down.

OP
OP
andwew

andwew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma 98
Thanks wrangler man. I'm going to keep a close eye on this. There are a lot of variables at the moment.
I have a winch and lights etc... The batteries being new, I'm not sure what there charge were when I put them in.
And I just realized I had placed in an OBD reader and left it in over night :-/
I just picked up a trickle charger to help with the batteries.

I'm glad the complete electrical breakdown was seemingly from the dead battery and nothing else. I'll keep you posted.

@andwew glad your up and running now we need to find out why your batteries were so low.

You said you put new aux and main crank battery in ā€¦ā€¦so were they fully charged when you put them in ?

If your JL is parked a lot your best best is to get a properly sized smart charger and keep your Jeep on it, if they were fully charged and itā€™s a daily driver we need to look at other things like parasitic draw, all newer vehicles have battery draw 24/7 but if you have say solenoids in the background or dash cams these all add to the load and will pull the batteries down.

Sponsored

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
Hello-
My 2018 JLUR has been completely falling apart lately. At first it had a couple of weak starts and then no start- I replaced both the main batter and the aux battery 1 week ago.
Today I started the car and then engine didn't start, got stuck in RUN and went haywire.
The only way I could turn it off was to disconnect the battery. When I reconnect it, it does this same thing. This is insane!

Does anyone have some ideas just so I can get it to the dealership?
It feels like the the car is completely busted.
Here's a link to a video. Please help.

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete electrical failure - stuck in "run" PXL_20210525_011636735
I had the same thing happen. My wipers turned on then wouldnā€™t turn off. Then battery died. I had it replaced and no more problems. I also have a 2018 JLu but mine is a Sahara

OP
OP
andwew

andwew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma 98
I had the same thing happen. My wipers turned on then wouldnā€™t turn off. Then battery died. I had it replaced and no more problems. I also have a 2018 JLu but mine is a Sahara
Ya, dead batteries. Everything seems fine now other than service ess light... But I'm on edge still...

OP
OP
andwew

andwew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma 98
Hello everyone -
I just wanted to provide an update with my situation. Everything seemed to be running fine since the jump and trickle charge. However, the service ESS light would not turn off. I gave up and took it to the dealership. They said I was getting a lot of low voltage warnings and most likely one of the batteries was bad. They did a load test and found out the AUX battery I got from Autozone was bad. They replaced it despite being 5 days out of my warranty (hey cool).

So turns out I replaced my dead battery with a bad battery... I guess that happens - but shitty luck. Everything has been great since - no errors, no issues. Thanks for the help guys

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
For the future, I would recommend a CTEK charger. They are ridiculously good. They can bring back batteries from the dead that other chargers can't.

GPWER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2DR JL RUBICON
I am sorry to hear of your difficulties but poor design and poor materials is not shitty luck. That AUX has a max life of 2 years think about replacing that every 2 years if it lasts that long many as many fail that i have seen at 1.5 years. That AUX battery also has a sticker on it that says do not exceed 14.4 volts how often have you seen 14.5 14.6 volts charging. Many people get a new main battery not realizing the AUX drained your main battery. I hope they re-think or re-engineer this system its deeply upsetting to spend the hard earned money and have this happen, wait till those people that bought the 392 for 100k and have the same issues. Good luck and I hope you don't get stranded again. YouTube has many great reviews of portable jumpers.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The whole aux battery and itā€™s location is a terrible design, I know lots have bypassed thereā€™s with jumpers and replaced by taking off fenders or going thru the top by removing the PDC but battery upkeep should never be this hard.

I made a chunky investment with the Genesis design and hoping that design along with the batteries I chose to use gives me many years of dependable service.
Sponsored