Sponsored

Cluster display "Average MPG": how accurate--or not?

Rasselas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S
I have a 2021 JL with about 3,000 miles on it. I haven't yet reset the "Average MPG" screen, so, as I understand it, the number displayed there should represent my average mpg over those 3,000 miles.

Yet, when I drive as little as 10 miles, I notice a considerable swing in the number. At the moment the average shows as 22.4 mpg (which I'm happy with, since that's about 50% better than the JK I graduated from). During a 10-mile drive the number may fluctuate between 22.1 mpg and 22.7 mpg or thereabouts. If the display purports to show an average since the last reset, I don't see how such a large fluctuation (as much as 0.3 mpg) is possible, since 10 miles is such a small fraction of 3,000 miles.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I’m pretty sure that it displays the average MPG over the last 300 miles or so. I haven’t been able to nail it down exactly - that’s just a guess.

You’re right, it can’t be a lifetime average. I’m at 23,000 miles, have never re-set it and it fluctuates quite a bit. If it was a long-term average it would barely change at this point.