First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Starting at 6:45 pm the last time I went wheeling, the clock in the central cluster of my dash does not tick. When I first start the Jeep, the clock picks up the current time, and there it will sit until I shut the Jeep off. Everything else seems to be functioning properly, with regular and believable updates on current speed, fuel economy, etc., so as far as I've been able to diagnose so far, it's just that one widget misbehaving, and only in the central cluster. The clock on the central screen works fine. The Jeep is keeping time internally, it's just that the signal is getting lost, and/or the display update isn't happening.

I just wonder if anybody else has ever had a glitch like this.
Sponsored

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
I decided to test the hypothesis that this problem is a glitchy side effect of having a Tazer JL mini installed. I also got stuck in winch mode a couple weeks ago. Maybe my Tazer is getting flaky. I am increasingly dubious about the whole concept of the Tazer.

So I unplugged the thing. I don't see any explicit instructions for a safe procedure for unplugging the Tazer, so I assume there isn't one, and it's safe to unplug whenever you're just sitting with the engine off.

With the Tazer unplugged, my clock in the central (EVIC) display was showing 12:00, and the uConnect system would not turn on. No radio, no access to climate controls or backup camera. The central display was dead.

So I'm basically suck leaving the evil thing plugged in, and my clock is non-functional. I consider these two conditions linked.

What else can I do at this point? I edited the configuration to display a different widget where the clock would have been. I'm disappointed and unsettled.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I decided to test the hypothesis that this problem is a glitchy side effect of having a Tazer JL mini installed. I also got stuck in winch mode a couple weeks ago. Maybe my Tazer is getting flaky. I am increasingly dubious about the whole concept of the Tazer.

So I unplugged the thing. I don't see any explicit instructions for a safe procedure for unplugging the Tazer, so I assume there isn't one, and it's safe to unplug whenever you're just sitting with the engine off.

With the Tazer unplugged, my clock in the central (EVIC) display was showing 12:00, and the uConnect system would not turn on. No radio, no access to climate controls or backup camera. The central display was dead.

So I'm basically suck leaving the evil thing plugged in, and my clock is non-functional. I consider these two conditions linked.

What else can I do at this point? I edited the configuration to display a different widget where the clock would have been. I'm disappointed and unsettled.
Maybe try unmarrying it and then removing it?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Did you plug the 2 cables back in to the security gateway like they were original?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I doubt it’s the Tazer. There are a ton of us on this forum who’ve been running the Tazer for years. First, unmarry, disconnect, then upgrade it to the latest firmware. Re-marry and *follow the sleep cycle procedure to a tee!*

If still an issue reach out to ZAuto support, which is excellent.

That said, if you unmarry, remove Tazer and restore secure gateway cables to their receptacles you have returned to stock. (May take two sleep cycles to fully get back to pre-Tazer.) Any issue at that point warrants a dealer visit. (And don’t say anything about a programmer or they won’t even diagnose.)

Short of faulty Tazer hardware, I’d be very, very surprised to hear your issue is related.

Sponsored

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Maybe try unmarrying it and then removing it?
I did that. No change. It's interesting to note that I didn't have to redo the seatbelt dinger and start stop settings, but I did have to reprogram everything else. I guess those are not factory settings, so they are preserved across marry/unmarry cycles.

Did you plug the 2 cables back in to the security gateway like they were original?
I dd not. I should try that. Maybe something about the Tazer allows the uConnect to work even though it isn't providing a security function.

I doubt it’s the Tazer. There are a ton of us on this forum who’ve been running the Tazer for years. First, unmarry, disconnect, then upgrade it to the latest firmware. Re-marry and *follow the sleep cycle procedure to a tee!*
The clock issue may not be the Tazer, but I got stuck in winch mode the other day. I had to dick around for 30 minutes before I finally got my Jeep to stop idling at 2000 RPM. I had used winch mode a bunch of times, and it getting stuck was new behavior. Something changed.

I admit, I'm suspicious of the Tazer, just because it's such a fundamentally hacky product, and the manual is pretty awful. Clear and concise it is not.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
just because it's such a fundamentally hacky product
Eh… that’s false.

If you don’t plug in the disconnected wires, of course things won’t work.

Upgrade your firmware. Reread the manual. It’s terse, but accurate.

Good luck.

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Eh… that’s false.
You have to bypass the firewall, and it provides a crude user interface by hijacking the radio and cruise controls. It is absolutely a hacky product.

Apparently, it's a hacky product that can't be disabled by merely removing it. You still have to reconnect stuff up behind that panel to get the Jeep working without it, which makes the ~$30 I spent on the extension cable an absolutely useless waste of money.

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
After sleeping on it, I've decided that I am clearly just not comfortable with the nature of the Tazer. I've also realized that I bitch about it way too much, and I should shut up and get over it. It's sort of like blaming a mud puddle for being dirty.

I guess I'm just offended that such a highly praised product turned out to be what it is. I seem to think if I gripe enough, I can go to sleep, and magically wake up in a world full of rainbow-colored puppies para-sailing on a gentle breeze of unicorn farts.
Sponsored