www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Installed my JKS 2.5” lift with adjustable LCA’s and adjustable track bar, myself something I’ve done quite I few times. Took it out for a trip and after removing the sway bar quick disconnects and air Down to 20psi started to her a minor clicking noise what sounds like mid point of the Jeep. Jiggle tested all the lca’s and track bar and everything looks good. About 40 mins later I get a good wiff of hot gear oil. lol under the new and see a little bit or white oil. I start thinking that the t-case is leaking but after looking at the Jl manual it’s ATF-4 in the t-case. This feels and smells more like lithium white grease. It looks like it’s coming from the front output shaft seal. In reality it’s coming through the push off threaded holes that are used to remove the drive shaft. When I installed the lift I did remove the axle side of the drove shaft and bungee cord it up so it wasn’t hanging on it’s own weight. Other things to note this was after a 4 hour drive in 102 degrees at 65-75 mph before getting to the TH. I’ve also had the alignment done at a local shop. Also NOTE that once I aired up and reconnected the sway bar the noise isnt there when cruising like it was air down. Only time I hear it is when under med-hard breaking or light to medium breaking to make a turn.. I’ve added pics of the grease I saw flung around. At first I thought water in the atf4 but it’s def not atf that’s coming out. Planning on a oil change for the t-case this week same as the rear diff. Anyone else have this problem?

D23B8653-BDD6-4E91-8C60-7F7C02A0FD04.jpeg

21EA8F62-AA95-4801-A563-73C2062C5E38.jpeg

BDBC7F7F-767F-4B54-A268-89348356FAC8.jpeg
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Installed my JKS 2.5” lift with adjustable LCA’s and adjustable track bar, myself something I’ve done quite I few times. Took it out for a trip and after removing the sway bar quick disconnects and air Down to 20psi started to her a minor clicking noise what sounds like mid point of the Jeep. Jiggle tested all the lca’s and track bar and everything looks good. About 40 mins later I get a good wiff of hot gear oil. lol under the new and see a little bit or white oil. I start thinking that the t-case is leaking but after looking at the Jl manual it’s ATF-4 in the t-case. This feels and smells more like lithium white grease. It looks like it’s coming from the front output shaft seal. In reality it’s coming through the push off threaded holes that are used to remove the drive shaft. When I installed the lift I did remove the axle side of the drove shaft and bungee cord it up so it wasn’t hanging on it’s own weight. Other things to note this was after a 4 hour drive in 102 degrees at 65-75 mph before getting to the TH. I’ve also had the alignment done at a local shop. Also NOTE that once I aired up and reconnected the sway bar the noise isnt there when cruising like it was air down. Only time I hear it is when under med-hard breaking or light to medium breaking to make a turn.. I’ve added pics of the grease I saw flung around. At first I thought water in the atf4 but it’s def not atf that’s coming out. Planning on a oil change for the t-case this week same as the rear diff. Anyone else have this problem?

Jeep Wrangler JL Clicking noise after lifting. BDBC7F7F-767F-4B54-A268-89348356FAC8

Jeep Wrangler JL Clicking noise after lifting. BDBC7F7F-767F-4B54-A268-89348356FAC8

Holy cow it looks like your drive shaft is infected... lol.
On both of our Jeeps I noticed that on the front shaft back at the t-case it splooged some grease out and coated the surrounding area. My grease happened to be black and I never noticed it until well after it had spun around and made a grease line all around it.
No clicking noise for me though.

OP
OP
Maverick909

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I don’t think the two are related but I did want to give all the information I could in hopes for something. I really thing the grease is just factory install lube to keep rust out. Soon as I get a chance after I get home I’m going to puke the front shaft and check for a seal leak. On top of all the fluid changes for the axle’s and t-case. Think I’m also going to drop the front axle and check that I have the springs in the correct place I’m 99 percent sure I do From the looks of it but it doesn’t hurt to double check

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think the two are related but I did want to give all the information I could in hopes for something. I really thing the grease is just factory install lube to keep rust out. Soon as I get a chance after I get home I’m going to puke the front shaft and check for a seal leak. On top of all the fluid changes for the axle’s and t-case. Think I’m also going to drop the front axle and check that I have the springs in the correct place I’m 99 percent sure I do From the looks of it but it doesn’t hurt to double check
Good plan and check all torques on yer nuts too :)

OP
OP
Maverick909

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maverick909

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Good plan and check all torques on yer nuts too :)
Well. I feel dumb. Found my clicking noise... found my rear end link on the sway bar is hitting an inner rim weight. Gonna pull it tomorrow and verify it’s gone. If so I will rebalance the rear wheels with inner weights. But all signs say this will fix it. Also did a axle fluid change front and rear at 12k miles. No large chunks just mush on the magnet but that was excepted after a lot of wheeling.. front was spotless clear and very very minimal mush. Added a pic of the end link and the wheel weight and the rear oil

B08ACF00-ABD5-4EA9-9D47-F56D50C38EE2.jpeg

68BFB4BD-F85B-4DF2-A971-F33E71F2A35D.jpeg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well. I feel dumb. Found my clicking noise... found my rear end link on the sway bar is hitting an inner rim weight. Gonna pull it tomorrow and verify it’s gone. If so I will rebalance the rear wheels with inner weights. But all signs say this will fix it. Also did a axle fluid change front and rear at 12k miles. No large chunks just mush on the magnet but that was excepted after a lot of wheeling.. front was spotless clear and very very minimal mush. Added a pic of the end link and the wheel weight and the rear oil

Jeep Wrangler JL Clicking noise after lifting. 68BFB4BD-F85B-4DF2-A971-F33E71F2A35D

Jeep Wrangler JL Clicking noise after lifting. 68BFB4BD-F85B-4DF2-A971-F33E71F2A35D
Dang! What wheels are you running? That seems awfully close for the link to be to the wheel. I've got about 3" of space in that same spot but I'm running KMC RG Race beadlocks that are off set. I don't recall what the off set/back space is. You may want to check your rear sway bar and make sure it isn't off set to one side.
The fluid you described is totally normal :)

OP
OP
Maverick909

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Dang! What wheels are you running? That seems awfully close for the link to be to the wheel. I've got about 3" of space in that same spot but I'm running KMC RG Race beadlocks that are off set. I don't recall what the off set/back space is. You may want to check your rear sway bar and make sure it isn't off set to one side.
The fluid you described is totally normal :)
I was bad. I’m running stock rubi wheels with 33” wildpeak mts but lift said 4.5 backspace to clear 35” so I didn’t except to have to worry about the 33”. Live and learn!
Sponsored