Check Engine Tool Decoder...

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Hey all...I am not a mechanic nor do I work on my Wrangler. However, I am looking for a decoder just in case my check engine light goes on. Its a good tool to have for I do have one for each car I own. Nothing fancy, something Bluetooth perhaps and very simple to use. 2021 Wrangler JK
Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I have two of them. One for checking and erasing codes and one for programming. I use Blue Driver for the codes and it works great. Has lots of features in its app and lets you erase codes easily. I've never needed the security bypass just to erase codes, but that may be different for others.

If you intend on eventually programming stuff, you should get the OBD MX+ and the Chrysler security bypass. I know this programmer will work with Jscan, but don't know about other programmers.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I am looking for a decoder just in case my check engine light goes on. Its a good tool to have for I do have one for each car I own.

Nothing fancy, something Bluetooth perhaps and very simple to use. 2021 Wrangler JK
This Bluetooth diagnostic tool is on my Christmas wish list. It was added after being recommended elsewhere on this forum.

OP
OP
JeezAJeep

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Anything simple just to see whats wrong when the check engine light goes on? I will not reprogram anything...with my luck my Wrangler will blow up lolll

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Anything simple just to see whats wrong when the check engine light goes on?
A neighbor of mine was chasing his tail regarding an emission issue on his Dodge Dakota. I'd go over with my code reader, pull the code(s) and then extinguish the light on the dashboard. He came to discover, though, that the underlying code(s) wouldn't be erased from the vehicle's computer until it was driven +/- 100 miles without the same problem(s) reoccurring.

IOW, turning the dash light off with my code reader wouldn't hide the problem from a dealer's more advanced scanning equipment, if the problem wasn't resolved in any fashion.

Long story longer: we ended up identifying and replacing a majority of emission fitments on that truck, and erasing codes that kept reappearing, until a small and hidden part (somewhere near the fuel tank, IIRC) was replaced that finally fixed things for good.

I mention all this just so you know that the Check Engine Light can be a troublesome bugger until the problem(s) are truly resolved. But...yes, having a code reader is the necessary first step in such matters. It needn't be a fancy one. Mine is probably 20 years old, but it still works exactly as I need it to.

Jeep Wrangler JL Check Engine Tool Decoder... Code reader

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Hey all...I am not a mechanic nor do I work on my Wrangler. However, I am looking for a decoder just in case my check engine light goes on. Its a good tool to have for I do have one for each car I own. Nothing fancy, something Bluetooth perhaps and very simple to use. 2021 Wrangler JK
I went with the OBDLink ( Amazon.com: OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows : Automotive) paired with JScan. I also have a Tazer JL mini. The combination gets me everything I have needed so far. Both Tazer and OBDLink read codes, but the OBDLink reads more detailed or deeper level codes versus just the top-level codes read by the Tazer. Both can clear codes, but again the OBDLink has more capability. The Tazer can change settings and allows added functionality that the OBDLink (even when pared with JScan) does not. Overall, a great combination. It has already paid for itself in my ability to knowledgeably interact with my dealer. Got them to stop screwing around with software and replace some parts. ( I was able to tell them I had X code, which they said was fixed with software, that I had cleared it X times and that it was coming back each time.) The result was parts changes instead of continuing to flash software and chase the problem.

OP
OP
JeezAJeep

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Thx, seems a bit complicated...lol...I just want one to check a code if the check engine light goes on.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Thx, seems a bit complicated...lol...I just want one to check a code if the check engine light goes on.
Not Bluetooth, but it's well-rated and it meets your requirement of being simple to use.

And now that we've provided exhaustive choices, make a decision already. ;)

Autel AL329-R OBD2 Code Reader

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
You don't really need bluetooth and an app. It's cute and adds features but it's not doing anything a cheap scanner won't do, as far as reading codes, and you're paying for the bluetooth hardware in the scanner. If you want something cheap as a just in case get any cheap OBD scanner on amazon. Something that will read codes and clear them will do you fine. You can google the code to see what that actual goes means and what causes it.
You can also go to any Autozone and they will read and clear codes for free.

OP
OP
JeezAJeep

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Thank you. Much appreciated.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Agree with most posters here. Most OBDII readers just read and clear codes, some will allow live data monitoring....nice but largely in effective unless you are an experienced mechanic.

I tried out the ThinkDiag unit on my wife's cadillac. Its a bluetooth OBDII unit that does everything the BlueDriver unit does, but it also allows access to ECM to enable specific functionality and tests. I have not enabled the jeep module yet on my JLUR, so I can't tell you exactly what additonal functionality it provides, but with the cadillac module can actuate any sensor, valve, motor, light that you wish, and it provided data streams that other OBDII didn't.

This looks like a chinese made reverse engineering of the OEM code. There isn't much techincal support for it, and I'm not sure if you can damage your vehicle by manually overriding specific operarions.

The advantage of this unit is that it is about the same price point as other monitors if you just use the baseline scanner functionality, but it gives the option to go further into the system if you want to. It has saved me twice already troubleshooting a transmission issue and a rear gate malfunction, but YMMV.

Good luck!
Sponsored