Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t forget about that first 72 degree day when it’s not quite hot enough for a/c, you’ve got your windows open but all of a sudden you find yourself sticking your head out the window a little at a red light just to feel that perfect day and you find the permanent roof and doors to be very annoying.
Gotta tell the Mrs. “Jeep thing” is your roots!
Good luck Nathan.

OP
OP
Biohazard

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the well wishes.
-yes, anyone can use any of my photos for any reason.
-I had a 2016 Tacoma previously, and agree, loved everything except the transmission. Constantly shifting, narrow powerband. But, 1) Toyota reprogrammed for 2020, and while not as good as Jeep’s 8spd, is significantly improved; and 2) a tazer JL equivalent is available for the Tacoma that lets one “lock” gears when doing the manual shifting, as well as reprogram the engine tuning for better power curves, etc.

Really enjoyed the JL engine, tranny, layout (everything is where I would put it, from volume controls to hvac to grab handles), performance on and off road, etc. The biggest downside is the service and all the little big misses: rear windshield defroster wire broken, low quality windshield glass, galvanic corrosion rust on my merely 2 year old vehicle that will require a good and door repaint, etc. I’m a surgeon, and just don’t have the time to keep taking my vehicle to a service department that takes 5 hours to diagnose a broken defroster wire (that I actually pointed out to them when I dropped it off).

in any case, definitely will be poking my head around here frequently, as you guys go in some pretty sweet adventures, and have all sorts of creativity in modifying your rigs. And the Tacoma forums are full of numbskulls with too much focus on the size of their cajones. :facepalm:

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I had a jeep jk into a 2016 tacoma, traded that for a 2018 chevy ZR2 and now back to a jl

definitely take a little look at the zr2 just for a second

because once you get bored. A ZR2 is just a level kit and fenders from AEV from having a dual locked truck with 35s and good suspension

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
All the best, and I'd have to agree with your comments about the members in this forum.
You mean where he says....." a great ,insightful group of mature individuals " ? ........Sorry I'm not buyin it !. Not this forum !;)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

ZR2 would be on my short list if i had to move out of my jeep.

OP
OP
Biohazard

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, looked at the zr2, but the interior doesn’t do it for me, and I’m jumping into a Toyota again so I can avoid trips to a dealership every other month... :)

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
After two years, tons of fun, and many good memories, I’ll be closing the chapter on my JLUR. Need a truck for the future, and my wife hates the Gladiator (not to mention all the “Jeep things”). Trading in my rig for a 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro.

I’ve been around forums for about 15 years, and have never seen such a great, insightful, and mature group of individuals. I’ll still be poking around here every once in a while. Really appreciate all the good advice, adventure stories, and good times sharing perspectives.

And if anyone is interested in my rig (Coal Fire on the build/rigs forum), it’ll be for sale at Lia Jeep in Colonie, NY (near Albany).

F123DDD0-B467-4F66-AB31-AE002EC3F06C.jpeg

21B3A96F-8069-4A04-A7B8-A4C218A201E8.jpeg
Don't do it! Get 5x10 utility trailer and tow it with the jeep!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I too made the same Trade. The 2020 Tacoma does have better transmission programming. It’s not bad. It shifts like a TRUCK. The 8spd on the JL is a way better transmission. I’ll give it that. But with the problems i had with my JL I’m glad to just have a good reliable vehicle. And for where I live the Tacoma takes me where I need to go on and off-road.

You did good. You’ll love the Tacoma. I already ordered a bed rack and roof rack from UpTop Overland. Next will be a lift and tired and that’s it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Biohazard

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The deed is done. Already miss it. My JL on 37’s has more pickup than the stock Tacoma :movember: . But, it’s a great truck, layout inside is similarly ready for adventure. Mods to come. Hate it that I’ll have to find somewhere else to share, you guys are pretty awesome.

9D22AE68-AAD5-4764-BEAE-4636FA3A7EA6.jpeg

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
The deed is done. Already miss it. My JL on 37’s has more pickup than the stock Tacoma :movember: . But, it’s a great truck, layout inside is similarly ready for adventure. Mods to come. Hate it that I’ll have to find somewhere else to share, you guys are pretty awesome.

Theres TURBO options for the TACO coming out :) I may go that route after warranty.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Best of luck to you. I keep my Tacoma that I bought in 2000 at my summer place, it’s been wonderful to me. Not as fun as the Jeep but super reliable and useful.

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR

How are the new seats? I always felt like I was sitting on the floor in the old Tacomas.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
How are the new seats? I always felt like I was sitting on the floor in the old Tacomas.
The 2020’s have 10way seats now. So you’d an raise them, move them pretty much how you want.
Sponsored