Calculating % off MSRP correctly?

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
Please let me know if I am calculating the percentage off MSRP correctly in this quote I received for a 2020 build I am looking to order?

MSRP - $49,250
Invoice - $46,991
Sale Price - $46,291
Dealer Fee - $199
Total - $46,490

Difference between end price and MSRP = $2,760 = 5.6%

That is before the extra 1% off invoice for Tread Lightly (just signed up today and confirmed after 30 days they will add that)
= $46,020 final price = 6.56% off MSRP

If I am calculating this correctly and based on what I have seen on the forums, this would be a decent price to pay, albeit not an amazing deal (which I am fine with - just don't want to overpay)

Does this all sound accurate?

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored

threejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Acura MDX
Depending on location you can probably do a little better without feeling like you are pushing the dealer too much.

Most people on here are talking about percentage off invoice.

6% off invoice for you is $44,171. Some dealers on here go all the way to 8 (you do have to look out for other fees though that could make that 8, closer to a 6).

6% can still be aggressive, but between 3%-4% should be able to be achieved, which saves you another $1,000 or so off your number.

At the end of the day, do what you are comfortable with and feel is fair. This is just my 2 cents as someone who is going through the process at the same time you are.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depending on location you can probably do a little better without feeling like you are pushing the dealer too much.

Most people on here are talking about percentage off invoice.

6% off invoice for you is $44,171. Some dealers on here go all the way to 8 (you do have to look out for other fees though that could make that 8, closer to a 6).

6% can still be aggressive, but between 3%-4% should be able to be achieved, which saves you another $1,000 or so off your number.

At the end of the day, do what you are comfortable with and feel is fair. This is just my 2 cents as someone who is going through the process at the same time you are.

Good Luck.
So then is this offer just about 1% off invoice? Which would make it a bad initial offer?

This is their first initial offer with 0 push-back.

Right now I am trying to narrow down the dealerships in my area that are at least being reasonable with their first offer and then when I am ready to proceed (next 2-4 months), I will push back to get their best offers before ordering.

EnjoyLife

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado
Yes, you should easily be able to get 3% off of invoice in St. Louis, MO.

threejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Acura MDX
You are right. Sitting about 1% below invoice.

Especially if that is first offer you have some room. I think a lot of us are in similar spots. Local dealers don’t seem to play ball in certain areas.

It becomes a time/convenience vs lowest price decision you have to make. I have a number I have in my head that makes staying local worth it. If I can get there, I will put a deposit down today. If I don’t think I will get there I am going to set up a time to pick up from about 4 hours away which isn’t awful. Plenty have driven much farther than that.

Good luck.

Sponsored

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Another thing to look at is if you are trading a vehicle in. There was one dealership who was $1500 lower than the one I bought my JLUR at. The dealer I used wanted more for the Jeep but gave me $2500 more for a trade in. That was above the top of KBB for it. Not saying this is the case but I wonder if the dealers giving the big discounts make up for it in other ways. Seems to be how it is around me.

OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another thing to look at is if you are trading a vehicle in. There was one dealership who was $1500 lower than the one I bought my JLUR at. The dealer I used wanted more for the Jeep but gave me $2500 more for a trade in. That was above the top of KBB for it. Not saying this is the case but I wonder if the dealers giving the big discounts make up for it in other ways. Seems to be how it is around me.
I do have a trade-in but I usually don't mention that until I determine the best price. If they are not willing to give me the value of my car I can always just sell it Private Party for more, so I try to separate that from the conversation.

cbr954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc Acadia Ford Edge
Look at the recommended dealers list. Get a couple of quotes, then take that to your dealer.

In general, St. Louis is one of the worst places to buy a car. I have traveled for several of my last purchases and have saved thousands over what anyone would do here.

A few people have had success with Napelton in St. Charles. A dealer in Troy is on the list with a 6% under invoice deal. Laura IN Sullivan has a great reputation and only a $199 doc fee. All star has a decent rep. You can do MUCH better than your current offer but you should have done what I am talking about before ever talking to a local dealer.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look at the recommended dealers list. Get a couple of quotes, then take that to your dealer.

In general, St. Louis is one of the worst places to buy a car. I have traveled for several of my last purchases and have saved thousands over what anyone would do here.

A few people have had success with Napelton in St. Charles. A dealer in Troy is on the list with a 6% under invoice deal. Laura IN Sullivan has a great reputation and only a $199 doc fee. All star has a decent rep. You can do MUCH better than your current offer but you should have done what I am talking about before ever talking to a local dealer.
Do you mean get a couple quotes from the recommended dealer list from outside of St. Louis and then take those to the local guys?

I did look at the map and reached out to a couple of the dealers and specific agents on the map in St. Louis.

So far I have received three quotes with 2 right at the same as this one in my original post and another just slightly lower.

thanks all for the help!

Sponsored

cbr954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc Acadia Ford Edge
Do you mean get a couple quotes from the recommended dealer list from outside of St. Louis and then take those to the local guys?

I did look at the map and reached out to a couple of the dealers and specific agents on the map in St. Louis.

So far I have received three quotes with 2 right at the same as this one in my original post and another just slightly lower.

thanks all for the help!
Yes. I would get a quote from Criswell , Kim at Superior (they are in Arkansas and not THAT far), etc.

Also as I mentioned above, check out Laura Jeep Ram Dodge in Sullivan Missouri. The prices they post without ANY negotiations are better than the deal you are at right now. https://www.lauracdjr.com/all-inventory/index.htm?compositeType=new&year=&make=Jeep&model=Wrangler&start=0&sort=&facetbrowse=true&quick=true&searchLinkText=SEARCH&showInvTotals=false&showRadius=false&showReset=false&showSubmit=true&facetbrowseGridUnit=BLANK&showSelections=true&dependencies=model:make,city:province,city:state&suppressAllConditions=compliant

OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. I would get a quote from Criswell , Kim at Superior (they are in Arkansas and not THAT far), etc.

Also as I mentioned above, check out Laura Jeep Ram Dodge in Sullivan Missouri. The prices they post without ANY negotiations are better than the deal you are at right now. https://www.lauracdjr.com/all-inventory/index.htm?compositeType=new&year=&make=Jeep&model=Wrangler&start=0&sort=&facetbrowse=true&quick=true&searchLinkText=SEARCH&showInvTotals=false&showRadius=false&showReset=false&showSubmit=true&facetbrowseGridUnit=BLANK&showSelections=true&dependencies=model:make,city:province,city:state&suppressAllConditions=compliant
Good call.

I really don’t want to travel but A. It’s a good bargaining tool and B. Some deals could be too good to NOT travel for

will do

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Please let me know if I am calculating the percentage off MSRP correctly in this quote I received for a 2020 build I am looking to order?

MSRP - $49,250
Invoice - $46,991
Sale Price - $46,291
Dealer Fee - $199
Total - $46,490

Difference between end price and MSRP = $2,760 = 5.6%

That is before the extra 1% off invoice for Tread Lightly (just signed up today and confirmed after 30 days they will add that)
= $46,020 final price = 6.56% off MSRP

If I am calculating this correctly and based on what I have seen on the forums, this would be a decent price to pay, albeit not an amazing deal (which I am fine with - just don't want to overpay)

Does this all sound accurate?

Thanks in advance,
If you can catch the dealer on the last day of the month, they’re more likely to give you a much more aggressive deal. Especially if it’s been a slower month and they’re trying to hit a certain number.

OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you can catch the dealer on the last day of the month, they’re more likely to give you a much more aggressive deal. Especially if it’s been a slower month and they’re trying to hit a certain number.
Do you thiink this is still a factor when ordering a vehicle? Since the deal is not done until delivery and payment?

I ask because I am preparing to send out e-mails for quotes but had planned to wait until Friday 11/1 to ensure the pricing is most up to date with the November orders. I am not sure if sending today right at month end would help at all or not.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you thiink this is still a factor when ordering a vehicle? Since the deal is not done until delivery and payment?

I ask because I am preparing to send out e-mails for quotes but had planned to wait until Friday 11/1 to ensure the pricing is most up to date with the November orders. I am not sure if sending today right at month end would help at all or not.
Id say they are more likely to deal on something in their lot that they are having to pay on their floor plan. If you are ordering a vehicle, they, in my opinion, would be much less likely to wheel and deal because they know they have a committed buyer.
Sponsored