Sponsored

Broken Windshield Survey

Pick all that apply to your Jeep (multiple answers)

• Total voters

CinciAv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2004 Rubicon, 1972 CJ6
300 miles on my sport jlu and a small rock, more like a pebble, hit the top center of the windshield. Crack was growing about an inch or two per day. Replaced with oem glass. Installer was telling me the jks and jls were a good part of their business. Even the gorilla glass for the jk is not much of an improvement from what he has seen.

Had a 2007 jku and replaced the windshield averaging once a year. The last time I went non OEM, and 2 years later when i got rid of it, it still had not cracked. Just luckey or a better design, i have no idea.

Never had one crack in the tjs I owned and they had a lot of rock hits and chips.

I was hoping that the jl changes would have reduced the risk.

Make sure you get the lowest deductible you can for the windshield. You will need it!!!
Sponsored

miklm

First Name
Miklm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I spend a lot of time researching before buying my JLUR. Decided that the broken windshields had to be an overblown issue. After all, in 20+ years of driving, in dozens of vehicles, I've never had a cracked windshield. Why would the Jeep be any different?

So today, with 1385 miles on JLUR odo, less than one month ownership, rock thrown up by a semi on the interstate and I have a half-dollar sized star on my windshield. :angry:

Insurance company says replacement is a comp claim with $500 deduct, but repair (epoxy fill) by Safelight is zero deductible. Safelight coming on Monday to repair. :fingerscrossed:

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
This being Jeep #3 for me, I expect the windshield to crack. If I make it 6 months before my first repair, it will be a miracle. Epoxy fills are a must, and a whole new windshield about every other year seems to be my pattern.

Just remember, epoxy fills work as long as the crack is silver dollar sized or smaller. Anything larger and you are probably looking at a new windshield...

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2018 JLUR with 12,500 miles purchased in June of 2018. I just replaced the windshield glass for the second time in addition to having 2 rock chips filled earlier.

Sponsored

VictorChampion

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
18 Rubicon - Standard sound system - 7500 miles. Semi threw a rock and cracked about 9 inches so far within an hour.

miklm

First Name
Miklm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I spend a lot of time researching before buying my JLUR. Decided that the broken windshields had to be an overblown issue. After all, in 20+ years of driving, in dozens of vehicles, I've never had a cracked windshield. Why would the Jeep be any different?

So today, with 1385 miles on JLUR odo, less than one month ownership, rock thrown up by a semi on the interstate and I have a half-dollar sized star on my windshield. :angry:

Insurance company says replacement is a comp claim with $500 deduct, but repair (epoxy fill) by Safelight is zero deductible. Safelight coming on Monday to repair. :fingerscrossed:
I had Safelite fix the crack from May 1. Zero deductible on repair through insurance, Safelite came to my home within a couple of days, all good.

Today (June 5), within a mile or two on the same Interstate where I got the first crack, I got another rock thrown into my windshield. About a 3" crack. I have a Safelite appointment for tomorrow.

They're paving or doing major construction on almost every major highway/Interstate around here, so there's no end of debris. Wonder how long before I get a crack too large to epoxy repair... Or my insurance company gets tired of fixing it... I haven't turned over 3,000 miles yet either...

FPrice

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4D
3rd windshield went in today, 8200 miles. Lowered my Comp deductible last windshield.
Sponsored