CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=smartphone brake controller

No wiring necessary. No wired controller. Works Bluetooth with your smartphone. I’m I’m Moab now pulling an off-road camper from Georgia and no issues. I have the factory tow package. This thing plugs into the stock round connection under the bumper and you plug your trailer into it. That’s it. Completely adjustable and remembers your setting.
@sheram I'm curious about this. Was thinking about the same thing, but it seems too good to be true. Does the phone gps detect the slowing down of vehicle to engage the breaks?
Sponsored

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
@sheram I'm curious about this. Was thinking about the same thing, but it seems too good to be true. Does the phone gps detect the slowing down of vehicle to engage the breaks?
No, the device picks up the signal from your actual brake thru the connector to the device to the trailer brake. 2 reasons to use your phone, 1 is to set the sensitivity and the other allows you to manually apply the trailer brake from your phone, which I seldom use. Once it's set up with your phone you don't even have to connect it to your phone as it remembers the last setting. I hope this is making sense. It does sound too good to be true, but this thing works and has worked flawlessly for me. There are some negative reviews on Amazon, but I'm betting all of them are because people don't read the instructions or don't know how to use the bluetooth pairing with the phone. The good thing is once it's set there's no need to connect to the phone unless you want to change your settings. I paid less for the device than I did to wire a controller into my JK and it was always in the way when I wasn't towing...which was most of the time. I showed it to the guy who wired my JK and he was amazed by it and didn't even know it was available-and he's a CURT dealer. He now stocks them.

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
No, the device picks up the signal from your actual brake thru the connector to the device to the trailer brake. 2 reasons to use your phone, 1 is to set the sensitivity and the other allows you to manually apply the trailer brake from your phone, which I seldom use. Once it's set up with your phone you don't even have to connect it to your phone as it remembers the last setting. I hope this is making sense. It does sound too good to be true, but this thing works and has worked flawlessly for me. There are some negative reviews on Amazon, but I'm betting all of them are because people don't read the instructions or don't know how to use the bluetooth pairing with the phone. The good thing is once it's set there's no need to connect to the phone unless you want to change your settings. I paid less for the device than I did to wire a controller into my JK and it was always in the way when I wasn't towing...which was most of the time. I showed it to the guy who wired my JK and he was amazed by it and didn't even know it was available-and he's a CURT dealer. He now stocks them.
Good to know. I did buy one, figured if it didn't work I'd return it. Today was first day I used it. I set it up before getting trailer, and set the sensitivity, which I assume is the programs version of the "gain" you see in regular controllers.

Anyways, I think it worked fine, pulled it no problem. Only issue I had, is while I was driving, the App kept saying it couldn't connect to the echo. I assumed my phone could connect to 2 Bluetooth items at a time, Uconnect and echo, but maybe I'm wrong there?

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Good to know. I did buy one, figured if it didn't work I'd return it. Today was first day I used it. I set it up before getting trailer, and set the sensitivity, which I assume is the programs version of the "gain" you see in regular controllers.

Anyways, I think it worked fine, pulled it no problem. Only issue I had, is while I was driving, the App kept saying it couldn't connect to the echo. I assumed my phone could connect to 2 Bluetooth items at a time, Uconnect and echo, but maybe I'm wrong there?
I have an iPhone 7 and it will connect to multiple things at the same time. In any event it only needs to connect for the set up

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Just thought I should add this to the thread for future reference, the brake signal wire is in the right kick panel like @LoganDzwon thought but it is a single wire taped to the vertical wire bundle in the right kick panel. It is a dark green/white wire. See the link below.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/UPFITTERS.pdf

It is called upfitters accessory 2 which is located near the auxiliary switch wiring inside the cabin. If you don’t have the auxiliary switches don’t worry the one wire is there, see this thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what-is-this-wire.32885/

Hope this will help others in the future.

Gregj

Sponsored

Auburnsemper

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
77A2E59D-70B7-41A9-A732-C5885717E49E.jpeg

Yes, it does work, but you’ll also have to buy one of these..... If you use this wire without the diode, anytime you manually engage the controller you’ll get errors on the dashboard.
Ok. So I've followed your outstanding instructions and have tapped the wire -- and it looks like my controller is functional, but I haven't tested it yet with a trailer. Can you please provide my guidance for installing the diode? Does that go in-line in the brake trigger wire (dark green, white stripe) or elsewhere. I'm concerned if I've got to put it in-line in the vehicle's trigger wire -- the wire is so thin. Your help/guidance would be appreciated... thank you

4WHLFUN

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Ok. So I've followed your outstanding instructions and have tapped the wire -- and it looks like my controller is functional, but I haven't tested it yet with a trailer. Can you please provide my guidance for installing the diode? Does that go in-line in the brake trigger wire (dark green, white stripe) or elsewhere. I'm concerned if I've got to put it in-line in the vehicle's trigger wire -- the wire is so thin. Your help/guidance would be appreciated... thank you
Sorry it took so long to reply...life gets in the way sometimes.....

Yes, the diode has to inline with the brake trigger wire. It allows current to pass in only one direction so the brake controller can sense when you apply the brake from the pedal, but doesn't allow the brake controller to send a brake signal when you press the manual engagement of the brake controller.

I will add that even though the errors were greatly reduced with the diode, I still was getting them occasionally for some reason. Since my last post, my frustration with this caused me to install a two position switch along that wire so when I'm not towing (which is most of the time), I can truly just disconnect the line entirely.

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
I called the customer support for Reese....the main company makes all 3 brands, Draw tite, Reese and Tekonsha.
Reese 8508211 and Drawtite 5535 are the "Same" just different label on the front (says their Technical support)
As well I also found out that 3014 works but doesn't have the Diode (so don't use it!) 3073 is the correct pin-out with Diode (Correct for Wrangler) or use 3024 (Also has diode and is for the Ram) but just swap the black and blue wire on the grey connector end for the Wrangler.
Sponsored