Sponsored

Brake issues

• Thread starter Deleted member 93461
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Deleted member 93461

I have a 2018 JLU Unlimited. 73,000 miles.
I just recently had brand new rotors and ceramic pads put on the fronts because my brakes were squealing after they warmed up.
after getting new ones within a couple days started to squeal again with light braking. Took it back and they “adjusted” some things. This actually made the squeal even worse. Took it back again and this time they said they were just going to warranty out the rotor and pads and replace with new saying it may have been a bad rotor.
for about the first couple weeks, the new ones worked great. Quiet as a mouse. But now they are doing it again.
but it seems to me that they only do it once they heat up?
what can be the cause of this. The cleaned then off, lubricated them, adjusted the slide pin.
they are saying now that maybe I should go back to manufactures brake pads and that may stop the squeal?
Any thoughts or suggestions?
again, it seems as though it starts after I’ve been driving for a little while and they seem to get hot? I don’t “ ride the brakes” but it is showing a heat ring starting on BRAND NEE rotors already.
HELP????
Sponsored

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
My new brakes/rotors have been doing the same thing for almost a year now...gave up after the 4th visit to the dealership. Curious if anyone has some suggestions as well for me to try myself

ABRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR
The calipers may be the problem, not fully releasing and causing the pads to glaze.

Reactions: DLW

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
Ceramic pads make more noise than the stock style. I'd say what you are describing is normal.

I've got ceramic pads on one of my cars and they are noisy with light braking, but quiet if I really use them. Do some harder braking and see if the noise goes away.

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
Did you burnish your new break pads and rotors?

Sponsored

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Why ceramic? Just run quality semi metallics.

Also make sure your slides and pad seats are properly greased.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93461

Ceramic pads make more noise than the stock style. I'd say what you are describing is normal.

I've got ceramic pads on one of my cars and they are noisy with light braking, but quiet if I really use them. Do some harder braking and see if the noise goes away.
Why ceramic? Just run quality semi metallics.

Also make sure your slides and pad seats are properly greased.
ceramics were recommended? So that’s what I got? And when I took it back in after the second new rotor and pads they took it back off and greased everything real good….they said?
It’s still under warranty (pads and rotors) and because of the issues I’ve had they said they can put on manufacture recommended pads for free?

OP
OP

Deleted member 93461

The calipers may be the problem, not fully releasing and causing the pads to glaze.
They said they look ok? But maybe it is the calipers? Any good way of telling if they are bad?

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
ceramics were recommended? So that’s what I got? And when I took it back in after the second new rotor and pads they took it back off and greased everything real good….they said?
It’s still under warranty (pads and rotors) and because of the issues I’ve had they said they can put on manufacture recommended pads for free?
I would try “bedding” the new pads and rotors. Here is a link to the procedure I have always used https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5300/~/how-do-i-break-in-new-pads-and-rotors?
If you still have noise from the brakes after bedding them I’d take them up on their offer to replace the pads.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93461

I appreciate it the help. I’m going back to see what they say next.
Sponsored