Bourbon talk...

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Whats the story with the limited edition Maker's? Have't seen that one.
Just a special label. Same juice. I buy a lot of makers mark firstly because I really enjoy it and secondly because makers was my Dad’s bourbon of choice. Love the stuff.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
How was it?
I didn’t spit it out. I also wouldn’t pay $55 for it again. After such a glowing recommendation and such an unequivocal “meh” by my taste buds, I took a look at their website and realized there’s different varieties of the .36 Ranger Creek. Maybe the Cask Strength or Single Barrel variants are better. I got the “regular” one. For me it’s just another mid shelf bourbon. It’ll make for some interesting mixing in my infinity flask which is getting low.

As always with anything that involves individual tastes, YMMV.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I’ve seen very mixed reviews on the Ranger Creek, but I’ve never seen anyone say it’s the best whiskey to pass their lips. I’ll definitely give it a try since I have access to it.

Garrison Brothers does the same song and dance about how the smaller barrels and sweltering Texas heat age whiskey faster so that their $75 for 3 year old whiskey is justified. I get the science. But to my tastebuds 3 year old whiskey and 10-12 year old whiskey are different. Not saying that the baby whiskey is bad. It’s not. I really like the Balmorhea and the Single Barrel. It just needs to sit longer in the oak.

I’ve been to Garrison’s distillery and tasted them all back to back, including some that have been aging longer that’ll be released in the future. The older it was, the better it was. For $75/bottle I wish they’d age it at least 6-7 years instead of 3 or 4. That’s coming. Probably for a hefty premium.
.36 Ranger Creek may have changed on me, the last bottle I had did not taste quite the same, that is because the owner sold the company. In fact, he worked full-time at USAA. I still have an orginial vintage bottle left, it came out of his early batches.

The Texas Bourbons and whiskeys truly are some great stuff.

I was selling back in the mid 60's and I end up quitting the company when the owner put on min wage, which really pizzed me off big time. I was his top sales guy on the non-wine side of the house and hit bonus money all the time. But I told I was a college student and he said: WHAT! Then proceeded to tell me: "I only pay you college kids min wage". I said take your job and shove it and I walked out the door!

Back then my number 1 seller was Jack Daniels and number 1 in premium bourbons was WL Weller Special Reserve. Its a wheated Bourbon and as a result is a bit sweeter and not as hot palate. I am a STRAIGHT drinker, maybe if I am outside and its Texas hot I put a cube of ice. I do keep a heavy shot glass that I stole from the Playboy Mansion In Chicago where I stayed one time, I keep it in the freezer and I will pour my Bourbon in that. If you have not tried it and you are a sipper like me, give it a shot (no pun intended) it will lower the temp into the 60s and let you savor it a bit longer. Make sure its a good heavy, think shot glass. Let me what you think if you try it.

Gonna take your word on it as the .36 I was given for my birth day did not taste like the early batch stuff I got years ago.

You get a sterling rep and rise to the top, then you sell and the new guy changes the recipe. There was a restaurant up N of Dallas, not far from the Lake. Duck In was the name, they sold Catfish and cooked it whole no fillets and it was all you could eat. They opened their doors in 1946. GAWD did love going there. Fri, Sat, Sun from the time they opened there was a line to get in. The kids took it over from mom and dad, but their kids did not want anything to do with it. So in the mid 80's the family sold it.

The first thing they did was fire the waitresses! Yes, they were old and crusty and quite salty, but most them had been since the 40s 50s and 60s. Then they dropped the whole Catfish and went just to fillets and they killed off the salad bar that came with the meal. Less than 6 later they closed their doors due to lack of business.

Most of the time a company gets sold it dies from the new owner...

Last edited:

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Ive tried a lot, and Blantons is still my go to.

Sponsored

comatzd

First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I just finished off a bottle of Dickel. It wasn't really one I had my eye on but I was very surprised how much I liked it. That charcoal filtering really makes it smooth.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I started an Infinity Bottle of Wheaters only. So far 2oz of: regular Maker's Mark, Weller SR, Larceny small batch, Rebel Cask Strength and Rebel Distillers Collection. Now the hunt is on for other wheaters.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... 20220929_100320

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I bought the Dickel hand selected barrel 9 year. It’s “meh”. Not bad, not great. Almost half of it went into the infinity flask right away.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I got to sample this pre-release of the Jefferson's Ocean New York Edition in NYC with the owner of the company Trey Zoeller on a cruise around NYC on an old 1940's yacht.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... IMG_1117 conv

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... IMG_1092 conv

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... IMG_1106 conv

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... IMG_1133 conv

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a bottle of eagle rare in my town for $150. I laughed it was so ridiculous. $75 is typically what I can get it for here. I’ve never seen in these parts for less than that.
Grabbed the last one on the shelf for $40 this afternoon. I had been kicking myself for not getting one a month ago when they had it last.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... 20220929_190006

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
WOW that is a GREAT price!!

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up a bottle of Maker's Private Selection. "El Guapo". Butterscotch and caramel throughout. Delicious.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... 20221007_181228
Sponsored

Last edited: