Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Did a Halloween tasting with friends and family last night. From worst to best-

The Japanese bottle someone brought was $90 bucks and not a bourbon. Was good for what it was, but I'm not a fan of the flavor.

Old Ezra 7 year was 117 proof and super hot. Very alcohol forward. Water didn't help. Tasted like dirt. Was nice to check the block because I've wanted to try it, but I'm glad to not have bought it myself. Never again.

Russell's Reserve 10 year is basically Wild Turkey with more age and mellowness. Nothing wrong with WT but I prefer WT101. All and all not bad for a low proof. Honestly, spend less and get a better offering with WT101.

The Willet had the best nose hands down. This literally smelled like a Cinnamon bun. Just astounding. Unfortunately while good, the nose did not fully translate. I do need this bottle on my shelf, because it looks amazing tastes great.

The winner by unanimous decision by all in attendance (not just me) was the Old Forester 1920. Not the most expensive and probably the one of the most available, but still the champion of this contest. Great nose and coats the mouth like syrup. Despite being the 2nd highest proof in the bunch and at 115 only 2 less than Old Ezra, but hides it so scary well. Just does everything so well and so balanced. Is there a better bourbon in this price range? And don't tell me retail on some impossible to get bourbons that are technically $60.

Anyhow, all tastes using Glencain glasses. Pretty sure most (if not all of you on this thread have a Glencairn or a few sitting around, but if not, you're missing out. My $0.2...

20201031_180858.jpg
Thanks for this. I’ve got half a bottle of Old Ezra 7 left because I don’t care for it either. I pawn it off on family when they come.

I haven’t drank any Old Forester in decades until I got the Single Barrel a few weeks ago and I really like it. So I’ll try the 1920 since a couple of folks on the thread have recommended it.
Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Thanks for this. I’ve got half a bottle of Old Ezra 7 left because I don’t care for it either. I pawn it off on family when they come.

I haven’t drank any Old Forester in decades until I got the Single Barrel a few weeks ago and I really like it. So I’ll try the 1920 since a couple of folks on the thread have recommended it.
Nice to hear confirmation on the Old Ezra - 7 Year. Was universally disliked by all participants last night.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Nice to hear confirmation on the Old Ezra - 7 Year. Was universally disliked by all participants last night.
It’s not “pour it out” horrible like that Johnny Drumm, but it’s not good. I wouldn’t ever buy it again.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
It’s not “pour it out” horrible like that Johnny Drumm, but it’s not good. I wouldn’t ever buy it again.
If the bourbon is bad, I will pour it out. Life is to short to drink horrible bourbon.

Last edited:

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
For those of us working remotely from home, here’s a way to start your day off right.

- make a cup of Earl Grey tea. I like Twining’s.
- add 1-1.5 oz. honey.
- add 1 squeeze lemon juice
- add .5-.75 oz of the run of the mill bourbon of your choice. I use the ones I’ve bought that don’t impress me, like the Old Ezra 7.
- drink up.
- repeat as necessary.
- deal with work problems throughout the day with a smile on your face!

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I can't get into Old Forester stuff. I've tried a few different offerings (Statesman, 1920, Single Barrel Select) and get this medicinal cherry flavor off them and I just dont that taste at all. I gave away all three bottles.

Last year Total Wine held an event here called Whiskey on the Rock. Lots of distillers came out with all sorts of products. Buffalo Trace brought out several bottles from BTAC for us to try. Stagg was my favorite. Went back for several samples. Garrison Brothers was also great. I was surprised I found my way out to the car after that (wife picked me up). They also had a concierge service that we could buy quite a few different hard to find bottles like Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, etc. Covid screwed that up this year so they didnt do it.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's one thing I love about bourbon tasting. One man's liquid gold is another man's sewer water. Opinions may and do vary. If you're lucky you'll fall in love with a few bottles that won't set you back hundreds of dollars each time you get an itching...

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
That's one thing I love about bourbon tasting. One man's liquid gold is another man's sewer water. Opinions may and do vary. If you're lucky you'll fall in love with a few bottles that won't set you back hundreds of dollars each time you get an itching...
Agree. I generally like Old Ezra 7 (not a top 5 though) and dislike Pot Still. Some of ,t friends like Woodford 2x Oak, but I don’t, although regular Woodford is a go to when I’m out and the double double oak is an all time favorite.

One neat thing I got to do was help pick a 4Roses single barrel and see how many of our group liked each of the 6 options. Most agreed on ones to knock out but we were pretty split over the top 3

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone try the new Elijah Craig Barrel Strenth Batch B920 yet? Its the new rage with all the bourbon Youtubers.

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Night cap last night with good ole Wild Turkey 101. That's a damn good bourbon despite what some people only remember as drinking in shots at college. Shame really that it has that reputation. I find it to be flavorful and with a great nose.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Finished off one of my Stagg Jrs and had a little bit of a single barrel select Olk Elk Wheated Bourbon last night. I was very impressed with that one. Stagg Jr is a tough one to follow and the Old Elk held its own pretty well.

Tonight I get to go pick up a barrel pick of uncut Frey Ranch. That is a distillery out of Fallon, NV and they do everything in house. Owners have been signing bottles and doing a meet and greet at several different local stores over the past few days.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i finally got to try a bottle i have been eyeing for about a year.
ALEXANDER MURRAY LINKWOOD 19 YR- 119.00 at total wine and more.
this is now top of the list for me for flavor and smoothness. Now i will say at 119 at a bottle its not a consistent thing but for celebrations i would 100% recommend

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya'll got more money than me to spend on Bourbon!

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
A double shot of Knob Creek at Longhorns tonight. Hit the spot as did the bone in ribeye.
Sponsored