Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Damn big fan of the OF products. Daily is the plain Old Forester cheap stuff. I mean, is it possible to beat at less the $20 everywhere you go? Also like Larceny for a daily. I dig wheated.

Back to the better stuff for good days is Old Forester 1920 Prohibition. At about $60 it knocks the socks off many bottles that cost 2x as much. For whatever reason I always gravitate to bottles that shoot above their pay grade and I love finding hidden gems rather than emptying my entire wallet for and expensive bottle just to impress friends. Not saying those friend impressing bottles aren't great bourbons, but there's also those which kick the big boys right in the nuts for a fraction of the price - Elijah Craig Barrel Proof also comes to mind and can be had for under $100. We have a group of friends/family that do blind tasting parties and its always nice to find great tasting spirits, less expensive when you're not being influenced by the name of the product.

Bourbon YouTubers I like with this same philosophy is the guy from Barrel and Drum. I also like Matt from ADHD Whiskey because he's funny as hell. Check them both out.

My "friend impressing bottle" is honestly not that great an American Whiskey from Cooperstown Distillery, Cooperstown, NY. We visited there in in 2012 for my son's baseball team where he hit a weeklong tournament high 9 HRs in 8 games. He's a freshman D1 baseball player now. Anyway, like I said, the liquid itself is not great, but pull this baby out of its pine box and its an impressive BOTTLE for sure, lol!

https://cooperstowndistillery.com/spirits/abner-doubledays-american-whiskey/

I see now they have some bourbons available in the baseball bottle now that they didn't have in back in 2012, but I can't vouch if they're any good. I may need to order one.

Last edited:

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Need to find some OF. Looks like good input here. May pick one up today.

Wife just gets mad when I finish the whole bottle...on my own...in one sitting...

locknload10

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JL
Went hunting for Blanton's today Missed out!!! Looking for one more letter! Hopefully Next time!!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Went hunting for Blanton's today Missed out!!! Looking for one more letter! Hopefully Next time!!
Might have an extra S around if that’s the one you need.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I too am earning my stave. So far I have L, A, N, N'. All bought at retail and all (well still one bottle opened) consumed and not traded. I won't finish the current bottle until I get it's replacement.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too am earning my stave. So far I have L, A, N, N'. All bought at retail and all (well still one bottle opened) consumed and not traded. I won't finish the current bottle until I get it's replacement.
Buy whichever stopper letter you need on eBay for like $10 each. But I guess that's not the same...

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
You sir, are a hero of the republic. Were you able to score all of those on distillery tours?

Let me know how you like the OF Single Barrel.
Most. The JD was a single barrel pick my brother in KY did and he also secured the OF pick by Jackie Zykan. Some bottles were at liquor stores. Got a couple of great bottles at a store in Effingham on the way. Can’t wait to see how Jackie Zykans pick is. I got to try some of the OF 150th Anniversary Batch 1 she did which was incredible!

Last edited:

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
What's the stave recipe for the Select?

I went on a selection trip with a local store and I've been excited about trying different Maker's recipes to compare.
The Private Select bottle is finished in Oak Staves

The Limited Release bottle is finished in Virgin Toasted American Oak Stave

I tasted both of them at the distillery when I toured it With any luck I will be cracking one at the end of November.

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
big OF fantoo, if you can do a 1915 - half 1920 and half 1910 I think it is a really good combo.

Last edited:

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
big OF fantoo, if you can do a 1915 - half 1929 and half 1910 I think it is a really good combo.
1920 is now so popular that I haven't even seen 1915 and 1929 in the wild in my neck of the woods. Maybe they're just not carrying it. But if I do see it, I'll need to try this combo.

Something about OF just hits me just right. Would love to find me a bottle of Birthday Bourbon

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1920 is now so popular that I haven't even seen 1915 and 1929 in the wild in my neck of the woods. Maybe they're just not carrying it. But if I do see it, I'll need to try this combo.

Something about OF just hits me just right. Would love to find me a bottle of Birthday Bourbon
Fixed my post to say 1920 - fat thumbs! 1910 we can now find on the shelves in StL.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did a Halloween tasting with friends and family last night. From worst to best-

The Japanese bottle someone brought was $90 bucks and not a bourbon. Was good for what it was, but I'm not a fan of the flavor.

Old Ezra 7 year was 117 proof and super hot. Very alcohol forward. Water didn't help. Tasted like dirt. Was nice to check the block because I've wanted to try it, but I'm glad to not have bought it myself. Never again.

Russell's Reserve 10 year is basically Wild Turkey with more age and mellowness. Nothing wrong with WT but I prefer WT101. All and all not bad for a low proof. Honestly, spend less and get a better offering with WT101.

The Willet had the best nose hands down. This literally smelled like a Cinnamon bun. Just astounding. Unfortunately while good, the nose did not fully translate. I do need this bottle on my shelf, because it looks amazing tastes great.

The winner by unanimous decision by all in attendance (not just me) was the Old Forester 1920. Not the most expensive and probably the one of the most available, but still the champion of this contest. Great nose and coats the mouth like syrup. Despite being the 2nd highest proof in the bunch and at 115 only 2 less than Old Ezra, but hides it so scary well. Just does everything so well and so balanced. Is there a better bourbon in this price range? And don't tell me retail on some impossible to get bourbons that are technically $60.

Anyhow, all tastes using Glencain glasses. Pretty sure most (if not all of you on this thread have a Glencairn or a few sitting around, but if not, you're missing out. My $0.2...

20201031_180858.jpg
Sponsored