Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
  • Banned
Trying to get a little help deciding on which borla, S vs touring. Only thing i can compare to is I tried the muffler delete and found that too loud for my taste. Really would like a little louder than stock and can't really tell from sound clips. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Caleb75

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
I have the touring on a 2020 JLU 3.6. It sounds good with no drone. It is not loud. However, if I had it to do over, I would have gotten the S. The touring tailpipes sit differently than the S. The S is more flush with the bumper. It looks better in my opinion.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I have the S and love it, but I don't have a good basis for comparison, other than stock. It sounds glorious when stomping on the gas, and there is a very mild, louder than stock noise (done?) at 2-3k rpm. Nothing that bothers me and not as noisy as the AC when trying to cool down the ridiculous summer temps around here. It's a jeep so I don't mind a little extra noise, but i would get irritated if it was obnoxious, which it isn't - to me.

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
  • Banned
Thanks, that helps. Mainly just didn't want to make the mistake of sounding like the muffler delete since it is a bit more expensive. Also like that it sits a bit higher for off road use.

ronrodriguez114

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I have the touring on a 2020 JLU manual. No drone at any speed. My intake is louder than the exhaust. One problem I found is that it sits super close to the under body around the tail pipe / “trunk” area. So much so that it touched a non protected area of the underbody. I added a bit of muffler wrap and reseated it but watch out when installing it.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I didn't like how the muffler delete sounded, and I replaced it with a Borla S-type axle back. I realize you were asking about a cat back, but I thought I'd weigh in anyway.

The S-type is a pleasant sounding exhaust that's very civilized when you're driving in an every day grocery getting kind of mindset. When you rip on it aggressively, it talks to you, and it sings in a pretty voice. It sounds dramatically better than the muffler delete.

I don't think the S-type is loud at all. In fact, the level of sound I'm getting is more in line with what I would have expected from the Touring. I probably would have been happy with the ATAK after all. I was afraid it would be too loud, but I don't think so now.

The S-type and ATAK are pretty much the same as far as how they hang, and how the pipes run. I don't have any clearance issues going around anything on the body. It does hang a little lower than I wish it did in terms of off-roading, but meh, this rig is intended more for dirt roads than rock crawling anyway.

Jeep Wrangler JL Borla cat back touring vs S 1626068195404

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the Borla Climber Touring. If you do any offroading I would highly recommend the Climber over their regular catback so that your exhaust tips do not hang down below the bumper.

The Touring is just a little louder than stock. It sounds good when you get on the gas and has zero drone. From what I've heard the S can drone a bit especially on the highway.

Here are a few sound clips of my Touring catback:

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
  • Banned
I have the Borla Climber Touring. If you do any offroading I would highly recommend the Climber over their regular catback so that your exhaust tips do not hang down below the bumper.

The Touring is just a little louder than stock. It sounds good when you get on the gas and has zero drone. From what I've heard the S can drone a bit especially on the highway.

Here are a few sound clips of my Touring catback:

Thanks, I am looking something for off road so the climber would be better and I like the quieter touring model.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Usually, the consensus is to go larger than you initially think (lift and tires). With exhausts, I felt like I would rather go a little quieter than louder. The Touring is slightly louder than stock when first firing it up and under acceleration but has no drone when just cruising on the freeway. I might consider the S Type when I switch to the cat back climber but I’ve got time and may wind up with the Touring still.

ronrodriguez114

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I installed the climber touring. As noted, my intake is louder than the exhaust. Also as noted it rubs the under body above the axle, had to protect the area with a muffler wrap. Overall no drone and I noticed an immediate power up difference.

Later I removed the loop pipe and added the aFe Y pipe (crossover pipe). This combo is what really let the engine open up. I have a 2020 3.6 manual and now can easily (and unintentionally) rev her quite high in 1st (running 4.56 gears). In any case this combo feels like the engine is really screaming when throttled open.
Sponsored