Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I like that...but I still want the red Willy’s Jeep logo to remain.

I noticed on the AEV website they recommended against powder coating their aluminum rims because how it affects the strength of the metal. Is that a valid concern?
the concern is how they current finish is stripped off and hot the oven is they use when the put on the new finish. find a place that does a lot of wheels.

ask them to have the wheels cold stripped. then have them media blasted so the new PC sticks really well. if they do wheels, they'll know how to do it right. the oven is usually only about 300 degrees. not hot enough to damage wheels. companies just say that to CYA

but really, any powder coater who semi knows what they are doing would have to try to damage a wheel just form redoing the finish. nothing to do with how good it comes out, but the actual process. its not rocket science.

brembo tells people not to powder coat their brake calipers. i had mine stripped, powder coated and then hydro dipped and have driven the piss out of it on track with no issues. as have many others.

ive powder coated, literally tons of wheels, in my former life. never seen a wheel have an issue from it.
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
18F39CBE-CC6B-4BA4-82CC-EA41EA94B25A.jpeg
Here is a close up, the orange reflection is from my shirt and not on the wheel. I left the pockets the factory paint. I was going to do the silver on the rim in a matte but the guy who did the wrapping suggested the faux carbon fiber and did one tire and showed me and I agreed
Did you have the original 1941 Jeep logo painted over? Is that red 1941 Jeep on the whee a vinyl sticker? If so, where did you get it?

Col Oliver

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler UL Rubicon, 2015 Indian Scout, 2015 Challenger Shaker, 1979 Triumph TR8
It’s just a wrap on all the flat silver surfaces The little jeep is still there

Oops. That isn’t the pic I posted....

Last edited:
OP
OP
aml

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
8E730DA6-5083-4AA9-A1B9-C82D5B4FA681.jpeg
I did this to my rims, see attached... wasn’t not real cheap but I like it. I did a carbon fiber look. I had them do the grill inserts too
Ok I finally got my Jeep. Now I can mess with the wheels. I found one place close by that does it. What is an average price I can expect to pay per wheel?

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Ok I finally got my Jeep. Now I can mess with the wheels. I found one place close by that does it. What is an average price I can expect to pay per wheel?
I paid 40/wheel

Reactions: aml

Sponsored

OP
OP
aml

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
The new JL Moab trim has blacked out wheels from the factory. It’s too bad this wasn’t an option with the Rubicon. :(

Nd4spd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Thanks Shine graffix! I did the matte black overlay. It does need a heat gun to apply properly. Just to let everyone know that I took my time applying and it took about 50 minutes a wheel. I like the look a lot better than plastic dip. So far they look good. I hope they last for a while.

20181007_114337.jpg

20181007_114313.jpg

OP
OP
aml

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Thanks Shine graffix! I did the matte black overlay. It does need a heat gun to apply properly. Just to let everyone know that I took my time applying and it took about 50 minutes a wheel. I like the look a lot better than plastic dip. So far they look good. I hope they last for a while.

20181007_114337.jpg

20181007_114313.jpg
I couldn’t find this on Shine Graffix website. Can you point me in the right direction?

Sponsored

OP
OP
aml

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Thanks...I realized that I linked their website for the JK in the beginning of this thread. I was trying to find it using their menu, with no luck. Their site needs some work.

Have you been happy with it?

I might go ahead and order it. I got quoted $150 per wheel to get them powder coated. That ain’t happening. I will buy new wheels before I do that!

OP
OP
aml

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Ok, I ordered a set too. I guess I will find out how durable they are.

If anyone else is interested, if you sign up with your email address, that company will give you a 10% off coupon code.

Looks like a two week wait.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Looks good but I dont see how that wouldn't rip on rocks. I've got rock rash already on 2 wheels from just the first trip. I've always used a decent spray paint so when the wheels get crashed more I just hit it with a quick spray and all good. For now I left them one because I like the contrast but if they get too beat up before I get new ones I'll paint them.

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Ok, I ordered a set too. I guess I will find out how durable they are.

If anyone else is interested, if you sign up with your email address, that company will give you a 10% off coupon code.

Looks like a two week wait.
please let us know how it works! I like the vinyl idea so that you keep the Willy's graphic.

Reactions: aml

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

20181007_114337.jpg

20181007_114313.jpg
this looks amazing!
Sponsored