Black diamond vs twill top

robertsj22

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited sport soon i hope
I have the black diamond on my jl. Is it worth the 1700 to upgrade the fabric and windows to twill.
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I have the black diamond on my jl. Is it worth the 1700 to upgrade the fabric and windows to twill.
I donā€™t think so. Worth upgrading if ordering a new Jeep, absolutely. But if you got great deal on one with the standard top like I did. I wouldnā€™t upgrade immediately, only after the standard top needs replacement.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I agree. I order the premium top on my builds. But if had the standard i wouldnā€™t bother upgrading.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
What everyone else said. If you were gonna upgrade, wait until your current material and windows are worn out. Also gotta consider if you ever want half doors that you'll probably want the uppers to match the material too

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
There is a significant difference in the twoā€”sound, quality, internal climate control, and durability. If I bought off the lot and it had the black diamond top I would run it until it died unless I could sell it fast before I upgraded. If I ordered from the factory I would always go premium twill. Does anyone know if the hardware for both tops is all the same? Can the fabric parts be changed out if a top wears out? Iā€™m sure those questions have been asked before and probably answered.

Sponsored

OP
OP

robertsj22

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a significant difference in the twoā€”sound, quality, internal climate control, and durability. If I bought off the lot and it had the black diamond top I would run it until it died unless I could sell it fast before I upgraded. If I ordered from the factory I would always go premium twill. Does anyone know if the hardware for both tops is all the same? Can the fabric parts be changed out if a top wears out? Iā€™m sure those questions have been asked before and probably answered.
Itā€™s the same hardware, however the windows and fabric are different. It costs about 1700 to purchase new windows and fabric to go from black diamond to twill

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Itā€™s the same hardware, however the windows and fabric are different. It costs about 1700 to purchase new windows and fabric to go from black diamond to twill
I would imagine a new top comes with hardware at that price. At least, I would hope.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
I would imagine a new top comes with hardware at that price. At least, I would hope.
It does.

I have seen the windows out there, but never the top fabric for sale or a how to on replacing it.

OP
OP

robertsj22

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does.

I have seen the windows out there, but never the top fabric for sale or a how to on replacing it.
New tops the cheapest I can find is 2200

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It does.

Mopar has just the top deck and windows available as replacements ; I saw these listed in the Quadratec site.
If the hardware is the same, this would be a much less expensive way to go to Twill, once the vinyl one wears out.
You will have to remove the old top from the framework, and then install the new fabric, similar to replacing a TJ or JK top skin
Sponsored