Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing broke. Their engineers confirmed everything was fine. But there's just too much "loose" top when it's folded back and nothing holding it in place. So those spots where the bow is above the passenger seat, where the velcro can't go all the way to the edge, is where the air can force itself out again and so it lifts and deforms everything back there.

I can even go back there when I fold the top, and gently tug and lift all that back area up...

So either a bad design or a defect in my particular top, either way what's happening with support is just unacceptable. Especially since I've been almost 6 weeks now and STILL they haven't done anything for the gap in the back, limiting my driving to dry weather only...

You do know that the bars you installed across....their is velcro on the front and back part that wraps around the bar...across from driver side to passenger side. Not trying to offend you at all...I'm just making sure that was secure as well.
Sponsored

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Side question - were your instructions actually printed and bound in reverse order, so you had to start at the end of the little stapled print of the PDF and work backwards?

No, mine were stapled so I started at the back and worked my way forward.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Considering how long models hang around before a revamp (i.e. the longevity of the JK prior to the JL) do things like the tops improve and get adjusted / modified over those years? I've been a jeeper since '99 when I got my first WJ and started offroading, then even more when I got the '01 with Quadradrive and did more offroading. Only did a bit of mud with my '14 and '15 KL Cherokee limiteds, but this is my first wrangler despite being my fifth jeep, so I haven't paid much attention to wrangler parts the last 20 years...
Good question, I am new to the jeep game myself, not sure how many options for soft tops were available for the JK but I feel like it was more than just two. If there is a demand sooner or later someone will fill the aftermarket gap, I sure hope it's a slant back, love that style!

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
You do know that the bars you installed across....their is velcro on the front and back part that wraps around the bar...across from driver side to passenger side. Not trying to offend you at all...I'm just making sure that was secure as well.
LOL, yes, they're all secured. Like I said, their engineers had requested specific photos of different areas and angles and open positions to confirm that it was in there correctly.

And no, definitely no offense taken, their instructions were so lacking that it would've been easy to miss things in the install. :)

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, yes, they're all secured. Like I said, their engineers had requested specific photos of different areas and angles and open positions to confirm that it was in there correctly.

And no, definitely no offense taken, their instructions were so lacking that it would've been easy to miss things in the install. :)
You could say that again. I got to the front and it showed a bracket that I didn't have. Low and behold it was actually on the top itself. I must have spent an hour and a half just trying to figure that portion out. Well again, Sorry your having problems with it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
LOL me too. And some of them, it's hard to tell if the orientation and which way the front bracket is facing, so I ended up initially with the parts that screw into the front top door frames on backwards, and had to fix that before I could get it on.

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Thanks for that MrMischief, I hadn't seen that in my searches. Can't just flip it open or closed while sitting at a light, but still... Time to dig into this one some. :)

woodchipper1

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
So I finally had decided to get the Bestop Trektop NX in twill. It arrived with a broken part, they had to replace.

When I got it on, found that like many other have found, the rear seal for the tailgate / window was just totally baffling, since there's a large gap there. Known issue apparently, and a month and a half later they still haven't managed to get me a replacement, and I also have had issues with "blowout" over the bow above the passenger area, not the one on the very back, but the one over the rear seat. Anytime I'm over 35 MPH the ends "blow out" from the air flow forcing the top to move around. Their engineers asked for specific photos of my install and confirmed that yes, it's installed correctly.

Photos of how it SHOULD look (and does when the top is first opened) and how it DOES look when the wind just from having the top opened up (as it's designed) and driving 35 MPH...

So after no solution for the leaking rear, no solution for the bad design of the top, I've got the green light to do an RMA, but they're going to make ME pay to return the product that has been nothing but an utter fail since the day I received it...

I'm also disgusted with the fact that if you write a bad review of a product on their website, they just get rid of it, and won't allow it. No wonder anyone like myself, looking at the website, thinks, "Gee, nothing but 5 star reviews, they ought to be trustworthy." Hardly...

Clearly I'll never spend another penny there again, but has anyone else had this kind of a problem with them?

John

20190510_163108255_iOS.jpg

20190519_213302952_iOS.jpg
So I finally had decided to get the Bestop Trektop NX in twill. It arrived with a broken part, they had to replace.

When I got it on, found that like many other have found, the rear seal for the tailgate / window was just totally baffling, since there's a large gap there. Known issue apparently, and a month and a half later they still haven't managed to get me a replacement, and I also have had issues with "blowout" over the bow above the passenger area, not the one on the very back, but the one over the rear seat. Anytime I'm over 35 MPH the ends "blow out" from the air flow forcing the top to move around. Their engineers asked for specific photos of my install and confirmed that yes, it's installed correctly.

Photos of how it SHOULD look (and does when the top is first opened) and how it DOES look when the wind just from having the top opened up (as it's designed) and driving 35 MPH...

So after no solution for the leaking rear, no solution for the bad design of the top, I've got the green light to do an RMA, but they're going to make ME pay to return the product that has been nothing but an utter fail since the day I received it...

I'm also disgusted with the fact that if you write a bad review of a product on their website, they just get rid of it, and won't allow it. No wonder anyone like myself, looking at the website, thinks, "Gee, nothing but 5 star reviews, they ought to be trustworthy." Hardly...

Clearly I'll never spend another penny there again, but has anyone else had this kind of a problem with them?

John

20190510_163108255_iOS.jpg

20190519_213302952_iOS.jpg
[/QUOTI am having the exact same problem called best top yesterday they said they have never heard of this problem yet. Piece of shit I sent them a video

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I had sent them videos as well - even a video of me standing outside of the rear passenger door, simply tugging gently on the top and how easily it would pull out. Seems everyone who contacts them for support for things are always "the first one" that Bestop heard about it from...

424hamst

First Name
Kal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I wanted to note that I purchased one back in April and had the same issues. Bestop sent me a new rear tailgate piece that was exactly the same with an additional rubber seal that did seal the gap, but by no means is a fix, this is a bandaid for a definite design flaw.

We also have had issues with the rear window flopping back and forth at speeds over 40. The flopping of the rear window is so bad that we put windows down and have to slow down. It feels and sounds like the top is going to blow off. I have had multiple calls with them as well as messaged Cassie on this site, but still no updates.
Like you mentioned when the top is opened, the wind will catch the top that is folded back on itself and rip it back if it is windy, and we have also had the driver's side window blow out.
I would never recommend this top to anyone until they fix these issues. Their support team has been unresponsive and of no true help for these issues. Based on them manufacturing the factory top, I would have thought this team would have been the best to go with for an aftermarket solution, but this one misses the mark.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
And right there you captured exactly my thoughts when I had purchased this. "They make the tops for Jeep, so clearly they know what they're doing and I can rely on this."

Unfortunately, no. And it seems they don't want to admit that anyone other than YOU ever had a problem. And when we aren't allowed to leave a negative review on their website, how on earth is anyone else ever supposed to find out BEFORE shelling out a grand or more?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I've also had the run around and after the extra rear seal they shipped that was a joke, they now have shipped a new taller rear seal that has solved the 'gap' issue.

I still have:

1) Flapping at anything over 45 to 50mph
2) Rattling that is new. Checked all linkages and tight so this one is odd. I can feel slop in the bushings.
3) Satellite radio doesn't work well with top down as it blocks antenna.

Bestop clearly has some customer service issues with slow/no responses and also weird ideas to keep the negative comments off the comments section instead of solving the issues.

I now clearly tell people "Do not buy a Bestop" and have done so many times when asked about my top. That is also my suggestion here - do not buy one as too many open issues and a company not working to openly communicate how they are working to solve them.

tommyboyii

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport / 285-70r17 BFG A/T KO2's (c-load) / Pro Comp 17x9 (-6) offset rims / Red Rock 4x4 Stubby Bumper / Bestop Trektop NX fast back soft top
Wow - all these posts made go out to my work parking lot and take a closer look at my fastback top.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents for anyone looking at this vs. the OEM top. Maybe I installed mine wrong (entirely possible!) as I have not had any issues. The install video that Bestop has is exactly on point for the steps needed; it took roughly 1.5 - 2 hours to install.

the top has been on for several months. I've driven through several rain storms, it has been through 40+ MPH winds without any problems or flapping. No gap at all at the rear/tailgate........the rear seal in my opinion fits both water and air tight. I have not had any rattles and have no holes or rips/tears, the folding mechanism works as it should, the windows slide out and slide back in as expected, no scratches on the clear panels. Jeep with top on has been on trails and in the mud; I have washed the top several times now using a high-pressure nozzle as well.

I did purchase it through an authorized Bestop dealer.

IMG_0493.jpg
IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0495.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to hear you are not happy with your top John.

I can't say my experience was the same for either the Sunrider soft top for hardtop or my Trektop NX. Though I do have the 2 door and the extra length of the 4 door may make things worse for wind?

I busted a couple of the plastic washers and a bolt while installing (my bad for using an impact drill, D'oh!). I did have an issue with the double seal sent on the first rear window. It fell off constantly. Called Bestop and they were very polite and sent replacement bits right away.

I can't say I had anywhere near your experience. I've very much enjoyed my Bestop tops on my LJ before and on my JL now. No disappointments.

This is just my .02.

:beer:

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Wow - all these posts made go out to my work parking lot and take a closer look at my fastback top.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents for anyone looking at this vs. the OEM top. Maybe I installed mine wrong (entirely possible!) as I have not had any issues. The install video that Bestop has is exactly on point for the steps needed; it took roughly 1.5 - 2 hours to install.

the top has been on for several months. I've driven through several rain storms, it has been through 40+ MPH winds without any problems or flapping. No gap at all at the rear/tailgate........the rear seal in my opinion fits both water and air tight. I have not had any rattles and have no holes or rips/tears, the folding mechanism works as it should, the windows slide out and slide back in as expected, no scratches on the clear panels. Jeep with top on has been on trails and in the mud; I have washed the top several times now using a high-pressure nozzle as well.

I did purchase it through an authorized Bestop dealer.

IMG_0493.jpg
IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0495.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg
I wonder if there's a difference between sailtop and twill. Maybe we should have people chiming in with which they have... My problem one is the twill...
Sponsored