Sponsored

Best practices for cleaning after offroading

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
I've been taking my JL offroad with increasing frequency and only see that going up even further in the future. I couldn't honestly care less about it looking clean, detailed and pretty, but am concerned about keeping as much grit out of the moving parts and suspension as possible.

Currently, I'm just driving it into my backyard and taking the pressure washer to it for about 30 minutes. But I never really completely get everything. I've seen some posts on the interwebs talking about using Simple Green as well, but thought I'd ask this forum and see what everyone is having success with/best practices. Again, I'm not looking to detail it. I just want to get as much crap off as I can to preserve it mechanically.

signal-2019-08-14-064712-1.jpg

signal-2019-08-14-064739.jpg
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Biggest trouble I had last time I played in mud was (apparently) some mud got onto the fan. Evertime the fan would spool up to F-14 volumes there would be a significant vibration. My first attempt at pressure washing did not clean it, still had vibration (was worried I'd damaged the fan). So I spent a good amount of time with a hose sprayer inside the engine bay (that was coated in mud too) to clean it up. Finally no more vibration.

I did find this thread helpful in this regard: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what-to-use-to-clean-engine-bay.12869/

Looks like you really enjoy your Jeep! :like:

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I power wash mine, then hit any zerg fittings with my grease gun to push out any grime that may have gotten in.

Fluid film is awesome if you get dirty, makes clean up a lot easier after an off road trip.
I used it on my XJ for years, same practice, power wash, grease and reapply fluid film after any encounters with mud, the mud just fell off.

Fluid film is great rust protection, as well as mud protection lol

get a can and spray the shit out of the underside before the next trip and see how easy the mud comes off for yourself.

OP
OP
morricus

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
I power wash mine, then hit any zerg fittings with my grease gun to push out any grime that may have gotten in.

Fluid film is awesome if you get dirty, makes clean up a lot easier after an off road trip.
I used it on my XJ for years, same practice, power wash, grease and reapply fluid film after any encounters with mud, the mud just fell off.

Fluid film is great rust protection, as well as mud protection lol

get a can and spray the shit out of the underside before the next trip and see how easy the mud comes off for yourself.
Very interesting. I'm on Amazon now, will buy some of this Fluid Film and give it a shot. Says it smells though, any truth to that?
I've also been religious about greasing the shit out of all the jonny joints on my suspension, before and after. Using Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty grease, I've using it for years on other vehicles. Seems to up to the task.

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Silicone spray works GREAT if you use it BEFORE getting in the dirt/mud and is good for after for detail on frame components and wheel wells. Cheaper generic than branded lubricants. Especially if you catch it on sale. I usually get several cans at a time from Advance Auto and use online coupons. It's like Reds hot sauce.....I use that S#!t on EVERYTHING.
Sponsored