Best power running boards?

BigBruse

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep rubicon
Looking to buy some power running board for my rubicon for my daughter to get in jeep easier. What is the best?
Sponsored

Huskies91

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys JL
Looking to buy some power running board for my rubicon for my daughter to get in jeep easier. What is the best?
I have the AMP Research Extreme running boards. They are great for my 12 year old and 4'11 wife. I have only had them for about a month but did have a set of Amp Research boards on my Ram 1500 for about 5 years and they worked flawlessly. They are NOT for rock crawling or serious off road use. Each side has two motors and are supposed to be conducive to ice/snow usage. There is a less expensive option with 1 motor. The step is wide and has plenty of traction. I bought a set of bushwacker side armor rocker panels to hide the pinch weld.

Many members on this forum like the Rock Slide Engineering power steps because they can function as a rock rail as well. They look real nice and hide the pinch weld. The step is a little bit more narrow.

There are several others on the market, like Ariens and RBP Stealth running boards. I was steered away from them when I was looking for power boards.

I chose AMP mainly because they are aluminum steps and I don't rock crawl. I had luck with them in the past.

Good Luck with your decision

OP
OP

BigBruse

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep rubicon
I have the AMP Research Extreme running boards. They are great for my 12 year old and 4'11 wife. I have only had them for about a month but did have a set of Amp Research boards on my Ram 1500 for about 5 years and they worked flawlessly. They are NOT for rock crawling or serious off road use. Each side has two motors and are supposed to be conducive to ice/snow usage. There is a less expensive option with 1 motor. The step is wide and has plenty of traction. I bought a set of bushwacker side armor rocker panels to hide the pinch weld.

Many members on this forum like the Rock Slide Engineering power steps because they can function as a rock rail as well. They look real nice and hide the pinch weld. The step is a little bit more narrow.

There are several others on the market, like Ariens and RBP Stealth running boards. I was steered away from them when I was looking for power boards.

I chose AMP mainly because they are aluminum steps and I don't rock crawl. I had luck with them in the past.

Good Luck with your decision
Thank you for the detailed description! Yes I don’t rock clime as well or go mudding. How where they to install?

Huskies91

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys JL
Thank you for the detailed description! Yes I don’t rock clime as well or go mudding. How where they to install?
The install took about 4-5 hours. There are videos online, I think Extremeterrain.com or quadratec had a nice video. It's not hard, just labor intensive routing the wires. Definitely look into them.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I went with the Aries Actiontrac.

I have AMP powersteps on my truck, and love them, but they do nothing to protect the side of the truck from what the tires throw up, and the motors are exposed tot he elements. (since I have bigger & wider tires, I really did not want the extra crap on the jeep)

I went with the Aries over the Rockslide because the Aries are Aluminum. I have to watch my weight since I tow it behind my RV. I also liked the fact they are aluminum since I live in the snowy midwest.

I also liked the fact that the Aries & Rockslide basically give you 2 steps. This makes it a little easier for shorter people to get in my lifted jeep.

Sponsored

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Metal Mulisha Custom
I went with the Aries Actiontrac.

I have AMP powersteps on my truck, and love them, but they do nothing to protect the side of the truck from what the tires throw up, and the motors are exposed tot he elements. (since I have bigger & wider tires, I really did not want the extra crap on the jeep)

I went with the Aries over the Rockslide because the Aries are Aluminum. I have to watch my weight since I tow it behind my RV. I also liked the fact they are aluminum since I live in the snowy midwest.

I also liked the fact that the Aries & Rockslide basically give you 2 steps. This makes it a little easier for shorter people to get in my lifted jeep.
How do you like the Aries after all these months with them? Any issues or comments? I am trying to decide between the AMP XL’s, RSE’s and Aries retractable running boards.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I went with the RSE. I've had them on for a couple months now. I chose the RSE because they seem to hold up to at least mild off-roading. I haven't had the opportunity to test that out yet but have seen them first-hand stand up to some pretty rough stuff. If you don't need the "sliding" ability and want to save a few bucks, you'd probably do just as well with one of the other brands.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Only issue with my aries is the leds just went out after almost 2 years. I called them up and they are sending me new ones.

i went with the aries over RSE for 3 reasons:
  1. I do not plan to do hard core trails
  2. I wanted light weight since i tow it behind my RV
  3. I wanted aluminum as i live in the northern midwest with snow & salt.
Other than the led issue that they were great about, i have had no problems, and after 2 winters they still look new.

only mod i made was to install grip tape on the top of the fold out step.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
One more update on Aries Customer support.

I called them yesterday morning about the LED lights that failed.

I just received my replacement LEDs from them.

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One more update on Aries Customer support.

I called them yesterday morning about the LED lights that failed.

I just received my replacement LEDs from them.
Thank you for the replies. I am still a bit on the fence after a dealer that installs both Aries and RSE told me today to go with the new 3rd generation RSE because they are superior to the Aries which he considers RSE generation 1’s which RSE sold the rights to Aries to sell?

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Thank you for the replies. I am still a bit on the fence after a dealer that installs both Aries and RSE told me today to go with the new 3rd generation RSE because they are superior to the Aries which he considers RSE generation 1’s which RSE sold the rights to Aries to sell?
I would do a search on the threads, as there have been some people who have issues with their RSE steps.

i did not follow them closely, so i cannot speak to the issue, or if they have been resolved.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I would do a search on the threads, as there have been some people who have issues with their RSE steps.

i did not follow them closely, so i cannot speak to the issue, or if they have been resolved.
I did have a couple occurrences of one issue with my Gen 3 RSE steps but it has not re-occurred in quite a while. I do know another individual in the forum had the same issue (one step occasionally not deploying without pulling the fuse to reset) and RSE replaced the step. RSE seems very good at standing behind their product and doing whatever is necessary to make it right.

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did have a couple occurrences of one issue with my Gen 3 RSE steps but it has not re-occurred in quite a while. I do know another individual in the forum had the same issue (one step occasionally not deploying without pulling the fuse to reset) and RSE replaced the step. RSE seems very good at standing behind their product and doing whatever is necessary to make it right.
For looks and functionality in regard to bad knees I would rather go with the Aries. Not sure why the installer tried to talk me out of them since he is a dealer for both.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
From what Denalidan said about RSE, it sounds like either would work.

real question is where do you live & do you plan serious off roading? - i.e. an area that deals with snow or salt water humidityand light or no offroad I would lean toward aries.

otherwise RSE.

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what Denalidan said about RSE, it sounds like either would work.

real question is where do you live & do you plan serious off roading? - i.e. an area that deals with snow or salt water humidityand light or no offroad I would lean toward aries.

otherwise RSE.
Snowy New York near the water. Rare off roading, maybe some beach riding.
Just picked mine up today after a long exhausting wait!
Jeep Wrangler JL Best power running boards? 7D1CB3B6-DBC8-4A67-8A31-89A0C7CB4237

Jeep Wrangler JL Best power running boards? 71545957-C10B-444E-A271-0D54F0ACD184

Jeep Wrangler JL Best power running boards? 0DFCF382-ABAC-403F-AF30-DFFA84008D1C

Sponsored