First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I've lived next to grizzly bears most of my life. They really don't want to eat you. The most danger is hiking and surprising a sow with cubs. Unholster your bear spray, talk to the bear and slowly back away. As far as camping goes, keep a clean camp and hang your food bag at least 15 feet off the ground. If you are in a national park, GNP for instance, they have new rules for campers every year. One year bear proof coolers can be left out, next year, they are coolers and must be stored. Find out the rules where you are and do your best to comply. You are way more at risk walking the streets in the city than camping in the mountains and getting eaten by a bear. BTW your gun is way better protection against the two legged varmints than it is against a bear. Get the giant size bear spray and keep it handy, not in your backpack. Fear the people, enjoy the bears.
Agree. The last 100 years of documented attacks and defense with a firearm indicates it’s doable in a predatory attack though. Doing everything “right”
. it’s still a wild unpredictable animal. We’ll have spray, know how to use it, and be armed too.
Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Bear camping can be a little scary if you over think it. When I was stationed in California we camped Yosemite a few times, we put no thought into it the first night, got drunk and left food out. A bear definitely came by and had the small dog with us barking up a storm.

Second night we kept stuff stored and bagged in coolers and nothing came around. But we were in a pretty populated camp ground. Like any animal, they really don’t want to be near humans unless they are starving or it’s a super easy meal.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I wouldn’t leave anything tempting inside the Jeep. No matter how sealed.

If a bear gets a whiff of it, it will destroy your Jeep to get to it, without even trying.
What he said. Bears, even blackies, are very powerful animals and I don’t think a Jeep hardtop would hold up long. Keep the food and “food smelling clothes in sealed bear proof (resistive?) containers. Bring a bottle of ammonia and generously spread it on/around the containers. The ammonia masks the smells and Yogi generally will not like to sniff ammonia.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
What he said. Bears, even blackies, are very powerful animals and I don’t think a Jeep hardtop would hold up long. Keep the food and “food smelling clothes in sealed bear proof (resistive?) containers. Bring a bottle of ammonia and generously spread it on/around the containers. The ammonia masks the smells and Yogi generally will not like to sniff ammonia.
There are some bags they sell as sealing in smells from bears. Perhaps that and another layer is sufficient in addition to also putting it in the cooler. Heck of a lot cheaper too rather than waste this new cooler. I can add a contiguous weather seal to this one fwiw. Even pine sol the outside.

You’d think they’d have locking containers for developed campgrounds to put the cooler in. I guess I’ll make some calls. The only one in question without calling is the Bighorn undeveloped site where we’re gonna stay one night. There’s a few black bears in that region.

We have scent free laundry detergent and all hygiene products are scent free as well. The only thing I don’t have is a bear proof vehicle or container.

If I could get a crane truck to follow us, we’d hang everything and everybody up at night. lol I might have to settle on trying to put a bag up up on a branch 15 ft up and 8 ft out.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
and Yogi gets your food.
Yep :)

and Yogi generally will not like to sniff ammonia.
Yep :)

I always used to take a .410 shottie with me when the wife and I were in bear country. Everyone used to laff at me and question what a .410 is going to do for me if a bear comes around. I always replied "I'm not going to shoot the bear." I'd point at the wife and say "I'm going to shoot her in the leg. You don't have to outrun the bear, just some of the people you're with."
BTW ... She's an ex-wife now ... LOL

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
See? It was only a matter of time until Yogi bear got a Jeep and his own forum account...!

Take that, Ford! đŸ˜«

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I wouldn’t leave anything tempting inside the Jeep. No matter how sealed.

If a bear gets a whiff of it, it will destroy your Jeep to get to it, without even trying.
I assume hard tops excluded of course.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I assume hard tops excluded of course.
You’d be surprised how easily a bear can tear through anything.

This is what a bear did to a steel roofed pickup truck.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bear Country... 1625157304605

Here’s a black bear going through a Grand Cherokee.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bear Country... 1625157541437

A bear dragging out a steel toolbox with his teeth!
Jeep Wrangler JL Bear Country... 1625157682020

A fiberglass top wouldn’t hold for five seconds.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You’d be surprised how easily a bear can tear through anything.

This is what a bear did to a steel roofed pickup truck.

Here’s a black bear going through a Grand Cherokee.

A bear dragging out a steel toolbox with his teeth!

A fiberglass top wouldn’t hold for five seconds.
Mah... somebody must have left a window cracked and he got his claws around the glass. I cant imagine a bear getting into a smooth sealed vehicle.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Mah... somebody must have left a window cracked and he got his claws around the glass. I cant imagine a bear getting into a smooth sealed vehicle.
Have you noticed the 1/2-inch gap around the rear quarter windows, around the rear lift gate?

Those freedom panel clamps wouldn’t hold very long against a half-asleep bear.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
They should have bear proof trashcans. I have seen them in BFE all over.
They do but they readily admit that they're not perfect. The problem is that the intelligence of the smartest bear exceeds that of the dumbest camper. So they're very difficult to design.

...seriously.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
They just push on the glass until it breaks, then they either crawl through the window if they fit, or just rip the door open.
Sponsored