Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
I had break the tabs holding it in.. which makes it then unusable.

But it (2021 JL) definitely does not work in the Motobilt Rear Tag delete, just got it today. It requires the older model camera with the mounting tabs on it.

I did order the Rox-0517 camera extension cable, which came in and it appears to have the same ends on the Jeep side, which I just confirmed it does clip in.

Once I get the older model camera, I can definitely confirm everything working in the 2021.

So my bet, everybody will have to get the older camera (three prong tabs) and new cord to make it work until vendors find a work around.
My rear bumper and tire carrier with the camera relocation kit was on my 2018 JL. I now have a 2021 and I'm transferring my bumpers. I reached out to LOD Offroad. They have a kit/fix for this camera. They're shipping me the update.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
LoD actually addresses this with their relocation kit. They include shims to sandwich the tabs and directions on how to trim the tabs on the connector to work with the old style connector. You can download the instructions off their website to see how they do it.

ytry

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry JLU Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Adult Day Care
So my 21 JLURD arrived yesterday. I planned on transferring the tire carrier to my 19 JLUR trade in. Unfortunately the new camera is not compatible on the 19. Plugged it in and blue screen, plugged the 19 camera in from my Motobilt carrier and all is well. So now I’m looking for a 18-20 Rubicon tire carrier as they are different because of the new cameras mount. I did not try the old style camera on the 21. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I’ll contact Motobilt Monday and see if they have an updated part.

Sponsored

ytry

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adult Day Care
You are using the 18-20 camera with the LOD cable and everything works correctly? Are you using the old cable and the LOD extension cable or the 21 cable and LOD extension cable?

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
You are using the 18-20 camera with the LOD cable and everything works correctly? Are you using the old cable and the LOD extension cable or the 21 cable and LOD extension cable?
I'm using the LOD cable extension (camera relocation kit) which was originally installed on my 2018 JLUR. I removed this rear bumper tire carrier from the 2018 before I traded it in. I plugged that LOD harness extension into the body harness in the 2021 JLURD tailgate.

I then plugged in the 18-20 (2020 was a split year for the camera) backup camera into the 2021 JLURD and it worked.

ytry

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adult Day Care
I'm using the LOD cable extension (camera relocation kit) which was originally installed on my 2018 JLUR. I removed this rear bumper tire carrier from the 2018 before I traded it in. I plugged that LOD harness extension into the body harness in the 2021 JLURD tailgate.

I then plugged in the 18-20 (2020 was a split year for the camera) backup camera into the 2021 JLURD and it worked.
Thanks I’ll give it a try. The 21 camera definitely didn’t work on the 19

ytry

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adult Day Care
Ok, new attempt today. Tried the 19 camera with the 21 cable. Black screen with back up lines. Gonna track down a 19-20 back up camera cable and try again

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, new attempt today. Tried the 19 camera with the 21 cable. Black screen with back up lines. Gonna track down a 19-20 back up camera cable and try again
Does your '19 camera have the three mounting tabs on the side?

I read that you can trim some tabs from the 20-21 camera and use it on the 18-20 cables.

Sponsored

ytry

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adult Day Care
Does your '19 camera have the three mounting tabs on the side?

I read that you can trim some tabs from the 20-21 camera and use it on the 18-20 cables.
It does

hazylogic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2021 JLUR on order
I had break the tabs holding it in.. which makes it then unusable.
Just ran into this installing the Teraflex HD carrier. I knew the camera was different, and they actually have an extra clip they'll send if you call and order from them (isn't included with every order). However, getting the original out was a PITA.

I'd love to see the "proper" way to do this. I can't imagine how a dealer would get the camera out without breaking the inside of the carrier to replace the camera. It does have a screw holding the clip in place, but there's no way to get to the screw, and the housing the screw is attached to won't come off the carrier, as it seems glued, and couldn't find any other screws to take it off.

Last edited:

ytry

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adult Day Care
So I tried using the 19 camera and camera cable on my 21 today. Nothing but black screen. Looks like I have to wait for Motobilt to come out with an update camera mount. I contacted them and they will be making one, but no eta. No sure if it has any bearing, but do any of you guys that got the older camera to work have the front camera as well? I have the factory front camera and possibly that creates an issue with the older camera.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
So I tried using the 19 camera and camera cable on my 21 today. Nothing but black screen. Looks like I have to wait for Motobilt to come out with an update camera mount. I contacted them and they will be making one, but no eta. No sure if it has any bearing, but do any of you guys that got the older camera to work have the front camera as well? I have the factory front camera and possibly that creates an issue with the older camera.
My old camera worked on my '21. I do not have the front facing camera.