Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Hello,

So I was tearing stuff down yesterday on my 2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon and noticed something a bit different with the rear camera. I removed the rear tire carrier and broke it down to remove the rear camera so it could be installed in the Motorbilt spare tire delete bracket when it comes in.

The camera is not the typical backup camera that I have seen in other post or YouTube videos. The camera I have has no mounting tabs on the three sides. It was held in place with four small plastic tabs only.

Without the three mounting tabs, no typical relocation camera will work without replacing the camera to the older model.

20201230_152050.jpg

20201230_152005.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Extremneon

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was hoping maybe I could just order an older backup camera with the metal bracket.

But it appears the connection is also different pattern on the camera end. So it looks like I will have to order the camera wire to with the correct end to make it work in 2021. This will change the design of all camera relocation kits offered by company's with the three point metal bracket camera.

20201231_083740.jpg

ytry

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry JLU Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Adult Day Care
Was hoping maybe I could just order an older backup camera with the metal bracket.

But it appears the connection is also different pattern on the camera end. So it looks like I will have to order the camera wire to with the correct end to make it work in 2021. This will change the design of all camera relocation kits offered by company's with the three point metal bracket camera.

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup camera appears different in 2021 JL 20201231_083740

Is the plug on the inside of the tailgate the same?

Sponsored

ytry

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adult Day Care

OP
OP
Extremneon

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It appears so.

I order a extension camera wire ROX-0517 and a takeoff camera (68288397AC) from Ebay this morning. So now have the additional cost of $75 to make it work.

Without this, the camera will not work with the Motobilt tag delete relocation kit or most others as there is no way to mount it.

ytry

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adult Day Care
Thanks for the info. I have a 21 JLURD that was completed on 12/14 and should be delivered any day. I have the Rusty's carrier with the Motobilt tag relocation on my 19JLUR trade that I have already uninstalled. I am pulling the complete spare tire carrier from the 21 and installing it on the 19. After reading your post I'm crossing my fingers that the plug is the same so it's a simple switch.

OP
OP
Extremneon

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. I have a 21 JLURD that was completed on 12/14 and should be delivered any day. I have the Rusty's carrier with the Motobilt tag relocation on my 19JLUR trade that I have already uninstalled. I am pulling the complete spare tire carrier from the 21 and installing it on the 19. After reading your post I'm crossing my fingers that the plug is the same so it's a simple switch.
Hopefully so, will update when I get the new wire and camera.

ytry

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adult Day Care
If FIAT gets off their butts and gets mine delivered I will do the same.

Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully so, will update when I get the new wire and camera.
Good info! I just traded an '18 for a '21. I would have run into this when I install the swing out tire carrier. I already have the cable extension with my LOD relo kit so I would just need a camera assuming this works. The new part is 138.00 but I am also looking for a used camera like you did.

Looking forward to your update post.

Dale Archie

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon
Hello,

So I was tearing stuff down yesterday on my 2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon and noticed something a bit different with the rear camera. I removed the rear tire carrier and broke it down to remove the rear camera so it could be installed in the Motorbilt spare tire delete bracket when it comes in.

The camera is not the typical backup camera that I have seen in other post or YouTube videos. The camera I have has no mounting tabs on the three sides. It was held in place with four small plastic tabs only.

Without the three mounting tabs, no typical relocation camera will work without replacing the camera to the older model.

Just ran into same problem with my 21 rubicon today. Plan on buying 2020 back up camera to use on new barricade hd setup. Wiring harness appears to be the same

Dale Archie

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon
It appears so.

I order a extension camera wire ROX-0517 and a takeoff camera (68288397AC) from Ebay this morning. So now have the additional cost of $75 to make it work.

Without this, the camera will not work with the Motobilt tag delete relocation kit or most others as there is no way to mount it.
How did you get the camera out of the tire carrier. Having some problems. Thanks

OP
OP
Extremneon

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you get the camera out of the tire carrier. Having some problems. Thanks
I had break the tabs holding it in.. which makes it then unusable.

But it (2021 JL) definitely does not work in the Motobilt Rear Tag delete, just got it today. It requires the older model camera with the mounting tabs on it.

20210105_160034.jpg

I did order the Rox-0517 camera extension cable, which came in and it appears to have the same ends on the Jeep side, which I just confirmed it does clip in.

20210105_155942.jpg

20210105_160417.jpg

Once I get the older model camera, I can definitely confirm everything working in the 2021.

So my bet, everybody will have to get the older camera (three prong tabs) and new cord to make it work until vendors find a work around.

ytry

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Adult Day Care
Thanks guys for the info guys.
Sponsored