Aux Switch Installation

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker RED JLUR
My JL Rubicon did not come with the factory AUX Switch and currently looking for options to install it locally (Melbourne). Long story short, my original factory order had the AUX switch, but due to my dealer going bust (Essendon Jeep) and messing up my order - waited 9 months to find out they are closing shop along with my deposit!

Found an alternative JLUR (someone that did not take his/her delivery-Thank You!), the JLUR had every single options i originally ordered except the AUX switch. i had only 2 choices, take it as is or wait for another 4-5 months for a new order with 2020 spec and price hike. i thought i can just get the Aux switch afterwards, seeing various topics on aftermarket installation in this forum.

However my dealer is now telling me i can not just buy the AUX switch through them (Mopar Australia) and if i buy from USA then they will not help me installing it, for warranty issue and what not..

Now my challenges:

- If i buy the AUX switch from USA will it work? i.e: is there specific model ID/version for Australian specific JLUR that i should be worried about?

- Finding the best auto electrician in Melbourne for the installation work, does anyone have any recommendation that does auto electric work for Jeep?

- Activating the AUX switch on the Uconnect, i am bit hesitant on going the Tazer route and having to remove/unmarry every-time i take the Jeep for service. Does anyone know if i can get the firmware upgraded by local dealer so i don't have to worry about the tazer route and have a permanent installation?

Thanks heaps for any help!
Al
Sponsored

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
My JL Rubicon did not come with the factory AUX Switch and currently looking for options to install it locally (Melbourne). Long story short, my original factory order had the AUX switch, but due to my dealer going bust (Essendon Jeep) and messing up my order - waited 9 months to find out they are closing shop along with my deposit!

Found an alternative JLUR (someone that did not take his/her delivery-Thank You!), the JLUR had every single options i originally ordered except the AUX switch. i had only 2 choices, take it as is or wait for another 4-5 months for a new order with 2020 spec and price hike. i thought i can just get the Aux switch afterwards, seeing various topics on aftermarket installation in this forum.

However my dealer is now telling me i can not just buy the AUX switch through them (Mopar Australia) and if i buy from USA then they will not help me installing it, for warranty issue and what not..

Now my challenges:

- If i buy the AUX switch from USA will it work? i.e: is there specific model ID/version for Australian specific JLUR that i should be worried about?

- Finding the best auto electrician in Melbourne for the installation work, does anyone have any recommendation that does auto electric work for Jeep?

- Activating the AUX switch on the Uconnect, i am bit hesitant on going the Tazer route and having to remove/unmarry every-time i take the Jeep for service. Does anyone know if i can get the firmware upgraded by local dealer so i don't have to worry about the tazer route and have a permanent installation?

Thanks heaps for any help!
Al
The aux switches can be fitted to any JL from my understanding and the dealer and or tazer is just to enable the software in the vehicle so it can be displayed and used.
As for Dealer and warranty, what a load of BS. its a fricken factory 'mopar' accessory. got to a different dealer

OP
OP
Alamein.sajib

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told in a Moper accessories is available on the Jeep Au Accessories website then they can order an install, if not then no luck...

I will try few more Jeep dealer to see if anyone willing to install the AUX switch.

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
I cant see why you cant just order it from the states and install it yourself / give a auto electrician the install instructions and go for gold.. looks simple enough.

If you dont have this, then i guess you got the smaller alternator and battery as well? I think it was a bundle kit?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Alamein.sajib

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I cant see why you cant just order it from the states and install it yourself / give a auto electrician the install instructions and go for gold.. looks simple enough.

If you dont have this, then i guess you got the smaller alternator and battery as well? I think it was a bundle kit?
Yes i got the standard Alternator and battery, not worries about those though, alternator is only about 20amp small i think? not going to make any significant different to my use case.

I am taking my jeep for a followup appointment for a rattle coming from center console, will talk to the parts department again to see what they can do for the AUX switches.

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Al
Went to Jeep at Indooroopilly today (Brisbane) to have a look at an MY20 as I was nearby, was surprised to find they’ve dropped Jeep & now sell Suzuki’s & Nissan’s. I know the new car market in Oz is tough right now, but still concerned when Essendon closed & Indooroopilly dropped the brand?

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
Went to Jeep at Indooroopilly today (Brisbane) to have a look at an MY20 as I was nearby, was surprised to find they’ve dropped Jeep & now sell Suzuki’s & Nissan’s. I know the new car market in Oz is tough right now, but still concerned when Essendon closed & Indooroopilly dropped the brand?
Oh Wow, yeah i just checked jeep au site for dealers, seem Motorama now has 2 locations. Westpoint still have jeep logo on their service centre website for Yeerongpilly
but funny fact- do a online price and put i Indooroopilly 4068 and ya get Moorooka 4105 :)

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
So, since the dealer stuffed up the order, why can't they unstuff it and fit the 'elec pack' incl the alt etc.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Not that simple because the settings are adjusted via UConnect. Dealer needs to flash.

There are aftermarket options and I personally prefer those because you don't need to mess with the laggy screen.

Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Not that simple because the settings are adjusted via UConnect. Dealer needs to flash.

There are aftermarket options and I personally prefer those because you don't need to mess with the laggy screen.
Sorry was thinking also for people with the TazerJL (I have this in my car). Easy enough to enable that option using that.

It is true there are after market options and i plan to add some after market light switches (Maybe an spod) to run camp lights but the factory jeep aux switches are pretty awesome with the ability to change how you want the buttons to act is quite nice. Im glad i have them despite the fact im not using them yet. But hopefully within a couple of week most of them will be hooked up to items on the car.

In terms of the laggy screen, I have absolutely no lag on my screen. Its super responsive in my car and plus you dont have to use the on screen buttons for the Aux wires anyway, just use the buttons in front of the gear selector. No lag there =)

OP
OP
Alamein.sajib

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I finally ordered the AUX switch from quadratec, as none of the local Jeep dealer were willing to help....such a bummer.

I am getting this delivered tomorrow and planning the install next week.

question for local Aussies with the JL and factory aux switch:

1. AUX switch lower distribution board, where is it mounted for RHD JL? I would assume opposite side to US JL as the battery is on the other side?
2. Running the cables through the firewall, for factory installed is it on the passenger side?

it would be awesome if someone local with a RHD JL can take few photos of the power distribution board location under the hood and check the aux cable location and entry points photos please.

Thanks a lot!

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
I just installed the switchpros 9100 unit on my JLUR over the easter long weekend as the Aux switches just werent right for me (Have those installed from factory too)

I have photos of the power distribution module of the Switchpros unit on my phone. I set it up that this unit sits on the opposite side of the battery (In front of the driver on a RHD) and i cannot see the Distribution board that you are talking about there.

I'll check tomorrow the other side but as i did option in the factory aux switches and all, I got the bigger battery as well which sits up pretty tight against the firewall. From what i can see online, thats where the distribution board should sit for the aux switches.. It might be under the battery? Either way, worst case scenario, just fiind somewhere to mount it our of the way =)

But i'll let you know if i can see it now that i know what im looking for.

OP
OP
Alamein.sajib

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, few updaters. I installed the Aux Switch over the weekend, long story short..it does not work:

- Installed the aux switch per instruction and various youtube videos
- Activated the Aux Switch through Jscan App, can see the Aux Switch option in Uconnect
- The switch does not light up at all, when you press any of the buttons.

More weirdly...while installing the aux Switch i found out the Harness for the actual Auxswitch was already present behind the dash...was hooked up to a plastic retainer, super weird, why would they leave the harness if the Jeep does not come with the Auxswitch? also only the harness, not the extension cable for connecting the accessories.

Maybe another of Export JL weird setup. Anyhow i tried connecting the switch to the existing wiring harness as well as the newly installed harness, none of them works.

Only option left for me is the ECM flash, i don't have access to a Tazer to test is my theory maybe the Jscan update to activate is not working...?

Have anyone with a export JL tried installing the Aux Switch afterward? any suggestion or help would be appreciated.

brargagan

First Name
gb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangle JL
So, few updaters. I installed the Aux Switch over the weekend, long story short..it does not work:

- Installed the aux switch per instruction and various youtube videos
- Activated the Aux Switch through Jscan App, can see the Aux Switch option in Uconnect
- The switch does not light up at all, when you press any of the buttons.

More weirdly...while installing the aux Switch i found out the Harness for the actual Auxswitch was already present behind the dash...was hooked up to a plastic retainer, super weird, why would they leave the harness if the Jeep does not come with the Auxswitch? also only the harness, not the extension cable for connecting the accessories.

Maybe another of Export JL weird setup. Anyhow i tried connecting the switch to the existing wiring harness as well as the newly installed harness, none of them works.

Only option left for me is the ECM flash, i don't have access to a Tazer to test is my theory maybe the Jscan update to activate is not working...?

Have anyone with a export JL tried installing the Aux Switch afterward? any suggestion or help would be appreciated.
Hi Alamein.sajib, were you able to solve the issue with the Aux Switch? I am facing the exact same problem. Thanks for the details!
Sponsored