swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Is this notification normal for every Jeep using aux buttons at cold crank? I installed a lightbar and realized it took a minute or five for the buttons to light up. That notification pops up when I start. Today WHILE that notification was up the battery voltage stated 14.3.

This completely normal? Am I losing a battery? JLs almost 5-6 years old now, early '18, 15k miles. I just recently plugged up aux stuff so not sure if this error shows up without anything on them.

Thanks
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Is this notification normal for every Jeep using aux buttons at cold crank? I installed a lightbar and realized it took a minute or five for the buttons to light up. That notification pops up when I start. Today WHILE that notification was up the battery voltage stated 14.3.

This completely normal? Am I losing a battery? JLs almost 5-6 years old now, early '18, 15k miles. I just recently plugged up aux stuff so not sure if this error shows up without anything on them.

Thanks
That's usually a sign of a battery starting to fail.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@swozey

Not normal..

Time to replace both the batteries on that 2018 JL. Don't replace just one, replace do both.
..Unless... unless you want to intentionally run with just the Main which is easily accomplished.

IF you opt to run with just the Main, replace just the Main battery, pull fuse F42 and disconnect the Aux negative cable that is connected to your Main's neg terminal. That's all you need to do.

A guy/gal running their JL with just the Main would be best to minimize the use of ESS. With that said push/use the ESS button or buy an adjunct that in essence does the button push for you.

OP
OP
swozey

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Damn... Gensis it is I guess

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn... Gensis it is I guess
@swozey

Most guys ... there use, does not justify a very pricey aftermarket dual battery set-up.. If your use justifies same have at it.. :rock:

Sponsored

OP
OP
swozey

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@swozey

Most guys ... there use, does not justify a very pricey aftermarket dual battery set-up.. If your use justifies same have at it.. :rock:

Boondocking for 3-5 days, my fridge only draws 0.67Ah/h and it wound up killing my current battery last year, but I guess (I think) it makes sense now if my battery was on it's way out back then.

I currently have 30w solar on the hood but that's a tiny trickle charge.

What do you think? I don't have intense power draw with anything but I'm absolutely freaked out about getting stuck somewhere, not that I don't have an SOS + GMRS + jumper.

Would you be comfortable running an AGM/Optima + 12v? I've had issues jumping the Jeep without another vehicle before but I'll drum that up again to battery dying I guess.

Thanks!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@swozey

My JL with it's quality Northstar Main battery is very similar to my past JK's that had just the Main.
JL with a single Main is easy to jump start, etc..

Sure you could justify an aftermarket dual battery set-up but.. but even with that you can still have a no start situation thanks to depleted batteries.

At least when running with just the Main, getting out of a no start situation is easy easy.

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
what do the people do that have a 12v and a 48v