Aux battery drain

Triple Zero

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's
I’ve been hearing a lot of horror stories about the auxiliary battery draining and leaving people stranded. I’ve heard it was common in the 2018 JLs. Is this still happening in the newer years?
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I have a 2020 and had to replace the AUX battery under warranty. Started with start stop system working intermittently and then stopped altogether. Main battery was load tested and was fine. I don't believe the batteries are of great quality...after warranty will upgrade to better batteries.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is this still happening in the newer years?
OEM JL batteries, regardless of year, tend to only have about a 3 year lifespan. If the main or aux starts to go, the other is not far behind. General rule of thumb with the JL is to replace the battery/batteries after 3 years.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
That is mainly because of confusion about the Main & Aux battery configuration in the JL. Some don't realize the Aux battery exists because it's not in plain sight. The Main & Aux batteries are directly linked so you need to think of them as a single battery system, if you replace one you replace the other. If you don't do that you will have a battery horror story. The battery you didn't address will take out the battery you did address.

The 2018 issue was a software logic glitch. If the Aux battery was low voltage the JL wouldn't even try to start, even though the Aux battery isn't used to cold start the engine. That's been fixed. Now, if the Aux battery is low voltage the JL won't try to start on the first press of the start button but it will on the 2nd press. So you'll know something is wrong but you can still start the engine.

Last edited:

DarkWater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi
Has anyone tried the Dakota lithium batteries? Pricey...are they worth it?
Sponsored