Aux Battery Delete?

CherryOnTop

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Since fresh off the dealers lot my (then) new '19 JLUR has had issues with Electronic Start Stop. As it isn't a daily driver I would find that after letting it sit several days the ESS wouldn't work until I'd driven it for several hours. It always seemed to me to take an inordinate amount of time to get that aux battery charged back up to where ESS would function. No big deal for me - I usually disable it anyway. But I also noticed the remote start often wouldn't work either. Today, after not running the Jeep for two weeks it wouldn't start. I put a booster box on the main battery terminals and things got really weird - all different lights flashing, the wipers coming on by themselves, all sorts of dings and buzzers, the trans saying it wasn't in park, dash error messages everywhere - a total shit show. I'm assuming the aux battery has crapped out and during the long sit time it took the main battery down with it? When I get some time to work on it I plan to test both batteries but my question is about what is the best long-term solution to bullet proof this. I use this Jeep to get to some pretty isolated places and want a vehicle that I can rely on to start - or if not, one that I can easily get to start with a jump-box. I've seen recommendations to delete the aux battery. Anyone done that? Have there been issues in doing so? I also plan to replace the main battery with an Optima yellow-top but would be happy to hear your suggestions.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, tons of info on this site about deleting the aux battery.

Someone might come along and search for you.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Have you removed the fuse box cover to confirm that all the fuses and relays are pressed-in fully?

And have you considered an under hood charger to plug-in and keep your batteries fully charged whenever you are a few days without using the Jeep or only have short commutes coming-up??? There are a few threads on that subject in here.